Birth years of the Targaryens

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Aemon the Dragonknight Targaryen: born in 140 AC, died in or before 184 AC

I think he died between 175 AC and 184 AC.

“Ser Terrence Toyne was found abed with his king’s mistress,” he said instead. “’Twas love, he swore, but it cost his life and hers, and brought about the downfall of his House and the death of the noblest knight who ever lived.”

- AFFC, The Soiled Knight

IMO, the mistress in question is either Bethany Bracken or Jeyne Lothston, affairs with whom took place in or after 175 AC. Falena, Meg and Cassella were Aegon's mistresses before he became a king. Bellegere, Barba and Melissa had bastards; it doesn't make sense for Aegon to legitimize a child whose mother he executed for cheating (and I think we'd already know if Black Pearl or mother of Great Bastard was executed).

I think he died between 175 AC and 184 AC.

- AFFC, The Soiled Knight

IMO, the mistress in question is either Bethany Bracken or Jeyne Lothston, affairs with whom took place in or after 175 AC. Falena, Meg and Cassella were Aegon's mistresses before he became a king. Bellegere, Barba and Melissa had bastards; it doesn't make sense for Aegon to legitimize a child whose mother he executed for cheating (and I think we'd already know if Black Pearl or mother of Great Bastard was executed).

It also could have been one of the earlier mistresses. Though you are right about making the timeframe smaller. Aemon died during his brothers reign, so in or between 172AC and 184AC.

Not only Rhaegel died but his twin sons also died before Aerys. Otherwise, they would succeed Aerys, not Maekar.

By the way, King "O"rys the bookworm, who according Tywin was killed by his brother was a good trolling attempt on D&D's side. I smell some foul stuff in the events leading to Maekar's ascension.

Not only Rhaegel died but his twin sons also died before Aerys. Otherwise, they would succeed Aerys, not Maekar.

By the way, King "O"rys the bookworm, who according Tywin was killed by his brother was a good trolling attempt on D&D's side. I smell some foul stuff in the events leading to Maekar's ascension.

I did mention Rhaegels sons in text, but I see now not in the summary. They would indeed have died before Maekae ascended to the throne, though there is a slight possibility that they were not considered because of their fathers mental condition. But, as I said, they had most likely simply died before.

I had the hardest time hearing who Tywin was talking about. Didn't Tywin said the weak king reigned for only a year? At first, I thought Tywin might have meant Aenys..

If it was Aerys he was talking about, perhaps these are some hints to Maekars ascention to the throne. Perhaps Maekar was just a misunderstood guy, who got blamed for everything that happened after he accidentally lethally hurt his brother.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Since the Westerlands reading we can discuss Rhaena and Aegon on the boards, because they were mentioned in there. They are indeed much older than Jaehaerys, since we know from TRP that Jaehaerys was only fourteen when he ascended the Iron Throne, whereas Rhaena and Aegon apparently were married to each other around the time of Maegor's ascension in 42 AC.

from the ConCarolinas Westerlands Reading by History of Westeros-

In 236 AC, the fourth Blackfyre Rebellion, helmed by Daemon III, landed at Massey’s Hook. The Blackfyres had very little support, however, as people thought the Blackfyres to be done, as tattered as their banners. Tion died at the Battle of Wendwater Bridge. At the same battle, Duncan the Tall slew Daemon III Blackfyre. Bittersteel retreated across the Narrow Sea again, and the war was quickly over.

So Bittersteel's death date can be extended to "after 236 AC".

ETA - First time I've read this. Great work here. A valuable resource.

So Bittersteel's death date can be extended to "after 236 AC".

I'll add "not long after 236" because he was an old done man who was full of hatred and this might be the final defeat he could stomach.

If I understood correctly, Aegon and Rhaena (children of Aenys) are older then Jaehaerys, or is that just a speculation. Because if they are then their year of birth could be latest in 33/32.

The ConCarolinas reading specified as Aegon having been Jaehaerys' older brother, so he can be adjusted. Nothing about Rhaena being older or younger from the reading though.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!

To the OP: :bowdown: most impressive!

Fwiw: there's voting going on now for the next elimination game topic and "best Targaryen" is one of the candidates. See my sig line for the link if you're interested.

Wow!

To the OP: :bowdown: most impressive!

Fwiw: there's voting going on now for the next elimination game topic and "best Targaryen" is one of the candidates. See my sig line for the link if you're interested.

Thank you! :D

I'll take a look soon at your link ;)

If you are interested in stuff like my OP, you might also like this:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/113885-the-wiki-timeline-project-calculations/?fromsearch=1

It's like this, only much, much, much bigger. :)

Thank you! :D

I'll take a look soon at your link ;)

If you are interested in stuff like my OP, you might also like this:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/113885-the-wiki-timeline-project-calculations/?fromsearch=1

It's like this, only much, much, much bigger. :)

The voting has concluded (Who will sit the IT at the end of ASOIAF is the new topic). But the best Targ remains a nominee for future games.

Thanks!

Will add both to my extensive collection of Westeros bookmarks. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Out of interest, how many times have you read the books?

I've just completed re-reading the first 3, and find things I thought I missed before. Also, it's easy to change your opinion about people and events. It helps to look at things from other people's perspective, and it confuses too!

I'm at an age now where, even though I have the time, I haven't the patience I once had, to attempt anything as dedicated as this Family History. Mind you, I'm more likely to head off to some rave I hear about to spend a night under the stars, just for the sake of it.

Did you know the actor who plays Aemon (in TV series) was also in "Citizen Smith" (Classic BBC comedy)? There is a wolf connection, strangely enough.

Ehm.. I reread the entire series twice or thrice, I think. But several storylines, I read multiple times, and some chapters I liked more than other, so whenever I felt like it, I read those another time.

This project went very quick, it might have taken me 2 days? And those two days were spend at the beach (multitasking :) ) Ever since, it's just updating tiny bits with new info..

My second project (see the middle one in my signature) took significantly longer (in fact, it took an entire reread on top-speed, to find all the references, so one of my rereads was pretty recent). I did that one little by little, because I too like hanging out with my friends, going to parties and such.

The fact that I memorized the entire Targaryen family tree without trying also helped a lot! :D

And discussing stuff with people also brands it into my memory ;)

Didn't know that about Aemons actor.. all I knew was that he's blind in real life.

Are these details about the mistresses in the App? Is there more about his not-so-great bastards too, perhaps? And what about those Butterwell maids, who were all allegedly impregnated by Aegon the Unworthy?

Anyway, re: Bellegere, we have been told that she was impregnated by a _prince_, not a king, so I imagine that it was before Aegon IV's ascension, presumably while he was slumming it in the Free Cities while a young man. IIRC, neither the original Bellegere nor her daughter by him ever lived in Westeros.

And yea, great work, Rhaenys! A definitive summary until we learn everything on the subject in just 3 short months...

Archived