A Wolf Pup In The Frozen Wilderness: The Whereabouts of Benjen Stark

King Tyrion VIII

He just vanished, because his range was far away, The Land of always Winter is far away and he got in trouble, he could be even a prisoner or he is spying the others from a close range, but I don't believe he is dead, there is more there than it looks like

Mmmm.. I think Benjen is dead. If you beleive Mormont's raven is being warged by Bloodraven, with his 1001 eyes, then he tells us as much in one of Jon's chapter at the Fist of the First men;

(Mormont speaking), "... If Ben Stark is alive and free, he will come to us, I have no doubt."

"Yes," said Jon, "but ... what if ..."

"... he's dead?" Mormont asked, not unkindly.

Jon nodded reluctantly.

"Dead," the raven said. "Dead. Dead."

"He may come to us anyway," the Old Bear said. "As Othor did, and Jafer Flowers. I dread that as much as you, Jon, but we must admit the possibility."

"Dead," his raven cawed ruffling its wings. Its voice grew louder and more shrill. "Dead."

Its as if the raven is saying "Why aren't you listening to me?! I am telling you he is dead!" Of course we may see Benjen again as a wight, but I think his contributions to the realm ended when he hid that cache of dragon glass at the Fist.

Mmmm.. I think Benjen is dead. If you beleive Mormont's raven is being warged by Bloodraven, with his 1001 eyes, then he tells us as much in one of Jon's chapter at the Fist of the First men;

Its as if the raven is saying "Why aren't you listening to me?! I am telling you he is dead!" Of course we may see Benjen again as a wight, but I think his contributions to the realm ended when he hid that cache of dragon glass at the Fist.

That crow was warged by Bloodraven, but I don't think Benjen is dead

I know he says odd things from time to time, like when he called Jon, King.

but some times he just repeat the words

That crow was warged by Bloodraven, but I don't think Benjen is dead

I know he says odd things from time to time, like when he called Jon, King.

but some times he just repeat the words

He does repeat things seemingly at random, but its especially the part where the Raven gets louder and more shrill that strikes me as odd. Like he is trying to draw attention to what he is saying. I think this is the closest we get to confirmation of Benjen's fate.

Bloodraven may for some reason want Jon to believe Benjen is dead.

Nice theoy. :) Never considered that only two of his 6 men were found, so it seems quite possible that they somehow survived.

Personally, I never believed Benjen to be dead. If he really was searching for Royce and his party he surely would have passed Craster's Keep. I'd love to see Benjen again, introducing us to the Lands of Always Winter. Ther's hope that he might be the POV character in the Prologue of TWOW. (Even if that means he has to die)

I'm keen to see Benjen too. Primarily, I look forward to a feat of man overcoming nature at its most dangerous. As someone said, the information and experience he brings back may be key to defeating the forces of Winter. And the survival of any Stark would be welcome, especially one from Ned's generation. That may also allow Benjen to be the revealer of what really happened at the ToJ, though I'd prefer for Ned to reveal it in some sort of Weirwood flashback.

A Wolf Pup In The Frozen Wilderness: The Whereabouts of Benjen Stark

One of the big mysteries in the series, for those of us who believe he is alive, is where is Benjen Stark and what has he been up to this whole time.

I remain unconvinced that Benjen is Coldhands or the HM in Winterfell. Please allow me to attempt an alternative, and in my opinion, much more exciting theory. That Benjen Stark is alive and undead in the Land of Always Winter.

BENJEN HASN'T HAD TO SURVIVE ON HIS OWN!

I've just come to the realization that Benjen having to survive alone is actually not true. He began the ranging leading 6 other men. Only 2 have turned up dead, Othor and Flowers. Therefore as far as we know he is still leading a party of 4 other men.

Great summary by butterbumps on Benjen's ranging party and possibly having a different motive for the ranging.

Has Benjen been helped by COTF?

In the extreme conditions north of the Wall, especially all the way up in LOAW, it would be more plausible for Benjen and his remaining party to survive if he had help. Perhaps they have sent guides with party or told them locations of COTF caves where they can shelter, rest and eat.

Possible foreshadowing of COTF helping Benjen:

If the cache that Ghost led Jon to in ACOK was left by Benjen

then we have a connection between him and the COTF since they are the likely source of the dragonglass.

Why the Land of Always Winter?

GRRM has stated we will see LOAW in the last two books:

So we need some character to be there. Who better than the person who has been missing long enough to be there by now?

Something isn't quite right with the supposed purpose of Benjen's ranging. Logically he would have stopped by Craster's on his way, yet Craster said he hasn't seen him. No wildlings ever mention seeing him, alive or dead.

Perhaps he set out to find the Heart of Winter instead. I believe we will see Benjen as the prologue in TWOW and he will give us an up close and personal look at the Other's home.

Benjen showing up in LOAW explains how he can reappear after being gone so long. It could conceivably take the 2+ years he's been missing to make the journey.

Due to there being so little to go on, and perhaps I'm missing some things as well, I do consider this to be incomplete. If anyone has any thoughts, quotes, foreshadowing, etc to share it would be greatly appreciated.

I've been meaning to make this for a long time for the A Compendium of Theories thread that is now pinned. It would be great if we can find a way to flesh this theory out further.

I like Benjen as the Prologue to the last book sort of coming full circle with the very first book A Game of Thrones. Starting off with a ranging party with all the rangers dying and in A Dream Of Spring we have a POV through Benjen's eyes where we find out some valuable information and then Benjen's party dying. I feel the prologue will take place in the south in Winds Of Winter since the prologue was in the North in Dance.

I like Benjen as the Prologue to the last book sort of coming full circle with the very first book A Game of Thrones. Starting off with a ranging party with all the rangers dying and in A Dream Of Spring we have a POV through Benjen's eyes where we find out some valuable information and then Benjen's party dying. I feel the prologue will take place in the south in Winds Of Winter since the prologue was in the North in Dance.

I never considered the prologue possibly being in the south.

This is an excellent theory and I hope that it turns out to be true. As pointed out, Quorin Halfhand may provide some form of foreshadowing for this as him having spent a whole winter at the LoAW has set a precedent. The fact that two of the rangers were found dead while the rest of Benjen's party remains unaccounted for is very telling too IMO. Usually in ASoIaF, we know when a character is dead as their end is usually so abrupt and dramatic - Ned, Joff, Robb for starters. Where the endings are more ambiguous such as Brienne - and possibly Jon and Sandor - there is doubt, and Benjen's fate is still a mystery which clouds over some of the events. One way or another, I'm sure his fate will be revealed and that in some way, it might be intrinsic to later events, particularly concerning the Others.

I don't think thats too hopeful at all Jesica Rogers There are a few hints that they will reunite.

The origional title for the final book was "A time for wolves"

the line "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives." from The Ned

& "Sometimes different roads lead to the same castle." from Jon Snow.

Sansa building Snow Winterfell Seems to indicate she will re build the family seat.

Arya keeping Needle indicates she will never let go of her true identity and is a Stark to the bone.

Ditto her killing Daeron the NW deserter. She was doing her duty as a Stark.

As for Benjen Yes I do think he is alive and kicking in the LOAW. I think he has a huge knowledge of the terain having been a NW Ranger for what 17 years now. He knows the land, he knows the people he knows the resources, shelter etc.

I think his party came across something which made them abandon the initial ranging for Waymar Royce and head deep into the LOAW. They lost Joffer & Flowers who may well have been sent back to CB to inform LC Mormont of what they had discovered and where they where headed.

I would like for us to get a Benjen POV in TWOW, I'd prefer that to a Prologue as I don't want him to die.

I very much agree with you.

Archived