If you could change your name to one from ASOIAF, which one would you choose?

Inquisitor Glokta

Arya is a name for men in India, so that is my first preference.

Otherwise, Stannis. The name carries weight, doesn't it?

LOL, here in the US it would be opposite, Arya is a girl's name I think it is a great name. I wouldn't mind being an Arya or naming a daughter Arya. I named my daughter after a book character from something I read years ago in my teens, and let's just say...she might be sporting the name Arya if I was born twenty years later. I just think it is a good name that stands on it's own, the spelling and everything, too.

LOL, here in the US it would be opposite, Arya is a girl's name I think it is a great name. I wouldn't mind being an Arya or naming a daughter Arya. I named my daughter after a book character from something I read years ago in my teens, and let's just say...she might be sporting the name Arya if I was born twenty years later. I just think it is a good name that stands on it's own, the spelling and everything, too.

Actually, even in my language hindi, it can be a name for both. For boys it would be pronounced Ar-yuh, for girls Ar-yaa (sorry can't write phonetics). Aryans were the people/race from whom North Indians derive their culture. India in that age was called Aryavart - home of the Aryans.

Actually, even in my language hindi, it can be a name for both. For boys it would be pronounced Ar-yuh, for girls Ar-yaa (sorry can't write phonetics). Aryans were the people/race from whom North Indians derive their culture. India in that age was called Aryavart - home of the Aryans.

Very interesting, I think you did good with phonetics. I pronounce Arya pretty close to the show, minus the British accent. My husband works with a man originally from India, I think he's from a region that is Christian (granted, that doesn't tell me what language or dialect he might speak) but I think he is from the south. I'll have to find out. He's a very nice man, travels around the world for business and family, and brings the most interesting gifts from around the world.

I think Sansa is good name that would stand the tests of the modern world. I think I thought about this question from the standpoint of names that were unheard of til the series. I think names like Arianne sound like they might have existed, I like that name, too. The male names are really interesting, too.

The name Arya just instantly jumped out at me, even before her characterization grew on me, although, I was just about an instant fan of hers. I never even connected Arya with Aryan, as thanks to Hitler and Co.....in the Western world that does have the awful connotations, which doesn't seem fair, considering that it stems from your part of the world and monsters co-opted it. I guess I'm grateful that the name Arya doesn't have the Aryan connection in my mind. I could see my daughter or I forever explaining, no we aren't from the Aryan Brotherhood and some such nonsense, the name is from a book, honest. I can see it now, almost.

The name Arya just instantly jumped out at me, even before her characterization grew on me, although, I was just about an instant fan of hers. I never even connected Arya with Aryan, as thanks to Hitler and Co.....in the Western world that does have the awful connotations, which doesn't seem fair, considering that it stems from your part of the world and monsters co-opted it. I guess I'm grateful that the name Arya doesn't have the Aryan connection in my mind. I could see my daughter or I forever explaining, no we aren't from the Aryan Brotherhood and some such nonsense, the name is from a book, honest. I can see it now, almost.

I think you weren't allowed to name your child Arya in Germany, the laws are very strict in matters like that. Sadly that connection jumped right into my face when I started to read the books. I'm trying to ignore it. Arya is still one of my favourite characters :)

Back to topic - I like the names Brienne, Sandor and Tyrion. At least, those three people described as utmost ugly did get a beautiful name.

I think you weren't allowed to name your child Arya in Germany, the laws are very strict in matters like that. Sadly that connection jumped right into my face when I started to read the books. I'm trying to ignore it. Arya is still one of my favourite characters :)

Back to topic - I like the names Brienne, Sandor and Tyrion. At least, those three people described as utmost ugly did get a beautiful name.

Sandor is a terrific male name, it grows on me more and more. So many of the names do grow on me, it really is hard for me to pick one I would like for a male or if I was male. Have to give it to George, he did a bang up job with giving names to people and populating his universe, that's not even counting the nicknames which I think he is rather skilled at.

I think I would still go with Arya for myself. I also like Catelyn and the nickname of Cat coming from it, too. That might be my second choice for myself.

Very interesting, I think you did good with phonetics. I pronounce Arya pretty close to the show, minus the British accent. My husband works with a man originally from India, I think he's from a region that is Christian (granted, that doesn't tell me what language or dialect he might speak) but I think he is from the south. I'll have to find out. He's a very nice man, travels around the world for business and family, and brings the most interesting gifts from around the world.

I think Sansa is good name that would stand the tests of the modern world. I think I thought about this question from the standpoint of names that were unheard of til the series. I think names like Arianne sound like they might have existed, I like that name, too. The male names are really interesting, too.

Wow, never saw the connection to Hitler there. :stillsick:

On a different note, Sansa as a name could totally work as per modern "standards", I agree. Catelyn is a name prevalent even now, and it is a sweet name too.

As for the person you're speaking, your husband's friend, I guess he is from the state of Kerala, where Malayalam (sweet palindrome is sweet) is the predominant language. Every state in India has a different language, though both Hindi and English are widely understood.

On a different note, Sansa as a name could totally work as per modern "standards", I agree. Catelyn is a name prevalent even now, and it is a sweet name too.

As for the person you're speaking, your husband's friend, I guess he is from the state of Kerala, where Malayalam (sweet palindrome is sweet) is the predominant language. Every state in India has a different language, though both Hindi and English are widely understood.

I'm glad I never thought of the Hitler and Aryan thing, too, in relation to her name. Thanks for the info on India, now I am really curious and will have my husband find out more.

Another name I like is.....ROOSE, it is just cool, regardless of the character. The only thing more cool than THE ROOSE is THE NED, and I'm thinking, I'd like either of them if I were a man.

Another name I like is.....ROOSE, it is just cool, regardless of the character. The only thing more cool than THE ROOSE is THE NED, and I'm thinking, I'd like either of them if I were a man.

Yes, Roose is a good name. For the series though, it gives too much away though (Roose ~ ruse). Ned as a name is simply cool, I agree.

Now apart from Arya if I had to choose a name from the series for myself, regardless of my character bias, I suppose it will be either Ned or Benjen. I like both these names.

it only works on dragons. :bang:

It's good for a middle name. Dickon Meraxes Manwoody.

Sadly that connection jumped right into my face when I started to read the books. I'm trying to ignore it.

Try thinking of it as Aria from music terminology, just with an olde english inflection to it.

Brent Blackfyre

Dwayne Darkstar

Jennifer "Sailor's Wife" Johnson

Phillip Rivers

Arya and arian are pronounced completely different, so I don't think think it would be that big a deal. I never of thought of any connection there either, but maybe it's because I heard the name on the first season of the show before reading.

Archived