Crackpot: Tommen's gold shroud = Baratheon wedding cloak

Mladen

What about greyscale being Tommen's shroud? The Shrouded Lord is associated with the disease, and we have Tyrion's thoughts "The curse was often seen in children"

Getting serious again...Could be, JonCon is on his way. I have also toyed with the notion that Darkstar(would someone make that purple for me please?) may have dosed his blade with something slow acting for Myrcella to take home to the Red Keep. Just a crackpot though. JonCon is definitely about to bring some trouble somewhere.

I understand where you're trying to go, OP, and as another Tommen fan, I hope he can be spared, but I don't agree that this is the alternate meaning for shroud.

I think it could be out there because I've always taken "gold shall be their crowns" as indication of both their blond hair color vs Baratheon black and of a physical crown they will wear on their heads.

If crown can have more than one meaning, why can't shroud?

it would be beautiful but the prophecy seems to indicate that Cersei's three kids will follow the same path. And as Joffrey was crowned and then died a King, I only assume that Tommen and Myrcella are going to go down that road as well.

Sorry for killig the mood :( and well tried OP :-)

I understand where you're trying to go, OP, and as another Tommen fan, I hope he can be spared, but I don't agree that this is the alternate meaning for shroud.

I think it could be out there because I've always taken "gold shall be their crowns" as indication of both their blond hair color vs Baratheon black and of a physical crown they will wear on their heads.

it would be beautiful but the prophecy seems to indicate that Cersei's three kids will follow the same path. And as Joffrey was crowned and then died a King, I only assume that Tommen and Myrcella are going to go down that road as well.

Sorry for killig the mood :( and well tried OP :-)

The HARD truth: "When you play the game of thrones you win or you die".

Now I'd hate to see the boy die for unwittingly playing the game but pawns die in chess every day.

How will it happen? We wont know till it happens.

Ser Humfrey, welcome to the forum...

And to you all mood killers, I hope that just this theory touched your imagination the same way it played with mine. Theory, as I said is a crackpot, and it serves exploring possible outcomes of Maggy's prophecy. It was instigated by the fact word shroud has been used in different context, and OP wanted to be one of those cool crackpot kids :)...

Now, in all seriousness, I would like to hear all of your opinions regarding the word shroud, and what other than burial cloth it may be... Let we think outside the box...

I second this. I don't think this theory is probable one (explained below), but I do so desperately want Tommen and Myrcella to survive the series.. Two poor likeable kids who had the worst misfortune when it came to parents.

Now, in all seriousness, I would like to hear all of your opinions regarding the word shroud, and what other than burial cloth it may be... Let we think outside the box...

thefreedictionary.com gives us these meanings:

1. A cloth used to wrap a body for burial; a winding sheet.
2. Something that conceals, protects, or screens: under a shroud of fog.

a. Nautical One of a set of ropes or wire cables stretched from the masthead to the sides of a vessel to support the mast.

b. A similar supporting line for a smokestack or comparable structure.
c. One of the ropes connecting the harness and canopy of a parachute. (irrelevant to our context)
So shroud either means concealer/protector (that's the meaning in quotes you provided) or specifically signifies burial sheet. So, unless Maggy is simply wrong in her prophecy, I don't see double meaning which could help Tommen.
ETA: unless, of course, it signifies something golden will conceal (ergo help) Tommen, although this begs the question why would Maggy use only one word (shrouds) to mean two different things within the same sentence. Too misleading even for a prophecy in Martinverse.

I second this. I don't think this theory is probable one (explained below), but I do so desperately want Tommen and Myrcella to survive the series.. Two poor likeable kids who had the worst misfortune when it came to parents.

thefreedictionary.com gives us these meanings:

1. A cloth used to wrap a body for burial; a winding sheet.

2. Something that conceals, protects, or screens: under a shroud of fog.

a. Nautical One of a set of ropes or wire cables stretched from the masthead to the sides of a vessel to support the mast.

b. A similar supporting line for a smokestack or comparable structure.

c. One of the ropes connecting the harness and canopy of a parachute. (irrelevant to our context)

So shroud either means concealer/protector (that's the meaning in quotes you provided) or specifically signifies burial sheet. So, unless Maggy is simply wrong in her prophecy, I don't see double meaning which could help Tommen.

ETA: unless, of course, it signifies something golden will conceal (ergo help) Tommen, although this begs the question why would Maggy use only one word (shrouds) to mean two different things within the same sentence. Too misleading even for a prophecy in Martinverse.

Greysacle. If kings were given to the Watch bound with golden chains, a king should have a golden shroud when he gets greyscale

• 1 month later...

Well I am just guessing but maybe after Myrcella dies Cersei begins to fall deep into her madness and she starts to truly believe in the prophecy.With her madness she might try to burn the city just like Aerys did.Joffs death already unhinged Cersei and if she loses one more of her children she will go completely crazy she already lost Tywin, Kevan and Jaime(not dead but he is lost to her) and Kevan was killed in a way that will further increase Cerseis paranoi.I don't know when she will try to blow up the city maybe when someone attacks the ctiy and Cersei goes Aerys on everybody.I think Cersei will kill Tommen or try to kill him like she did in Blackwater but somehow Jaime will get to Cersei first and he will kill her saving his only remaining child or avenging him.

Archived