[ADWD Spoilers] S4 Theon/Reek

tf13

Not sure if this is really a spoiler, but a friend of mine just posted a picture of himself with Alfie, and he looks about 20lbs lighter than he did at the end of S3. Not sure how much time will elapse from season to season, but Theon/Reek was really, really thin in the books and Alfie's taken that to the screen.

My personal guess is that the series will move the non-recognition scene up to this season. Yara will make it to the Dreadfort but not recognize her brother. Theon/Reek will see this and not admit who he is out of shame. And so she'll leave him behind and his Reekification will be complete.

This is actually one of my guesses I feel pretty good about. It's a nice reversal, and then Yara can go get caught by Stannis, and that news can send Balon over the edge. Literally. :D

My personal guess is that the series will move the non-recognition scene up to this season. Yara will make it to the Dreadfort but not recognize her brother. Theon/Reek will see this and not admit who he is out of shame. And so she'll leave him behind and his Reekification will be complete.

This is actually one of my guesses I feel pretty good about. It's a nice reversal, and then Yara can go get caught by Stannis, and that news can send Balon over the edge. Literally. :D

Interesting... it could work...

Anyway, pic please ! =D

Only problem with this is Asha goes to the kingsmoot after Balon dies, plus I think Euron hired a FM to kill him and it will have consequences in the future. Moving the non recognition scene up though could be great.

Only problem with this is Asha goes to the kingsmoot after Balon dies, plus I think Euron hired a FM to kill him and it will have consequences in the future. Moving the non recognition scene up though could be great.

Will the kingsmoot be included in the show? Balon is stil alive in GoT. Yara/Asha's going to save her little brother entails she never goes back to Pyke. I feel the Greyjoy plot will change to speed up things and save some money.

On topic: Pic please! Alfie's awesome.

In the book. The "Balon over the edge" was tongue in cheek. I do think Euron hired a FM, and I expect that will be shown in the series. But it adds to the façade that Balon fell/jumped.

Yes, this notion for the TV adaptation would mean Yara wouldn't be going to the Kingsmoot, which looks to be a Season 5 thing anyway. That would mean it's strictly between Euron and Victarion. I've not heard that any of the Greyjoy Brothers are cast for this season.

• 1 month later...

omg no that will be heart-wrenching to watch. Actually, all of the Theon/Reek stuff will be heart-wrenching to watch. Maybe I'm saying that because I just watched the episode where he returns to Pyke and it's horrible knowing how it all goes wrong. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I gotta nice crackpot theory...

What if Stannis doesn't capture Yara? What if Ramsey catches her and makes her fake Arya?

Hmm. Yara and Arya have the same letters in their name. D & D, you old rascals...

Dang it, the more I think about it, the more it fits. Everybody at Winterfell is dead. Reek can prep her on what she needs to know, and every time she resists, Ramsey cuts off another piece of Reek. Finally, they escape in Season 5 and make it to Stannis. Yara will still be relatively OK physically. Ramsey couldn't mess her up too much and still have the public wedding he wants. She's a tomboy like Arya.

Son of a... I bet they do have Yara become fake Arya.

If they wanted to pad out the arc and show a bit of the Bastard's "social mobility" they could include the Domeric business in real time rather than through backstory exposition. They could have Bolton have a living legitimate son and Ramsay kill him off. We likely would have heard the name Domeric through casting leaks by now but still, its an idea.

Hey, I gotta nice crackpot theory...

What if Stannis doesn't capture Yara? What if Ramsey catches her and makes her fake Arya?

Hmm. Yara and Arya have the same letters in their name. D & D, you old rascals...

Dang it, the more I think about it, the more it fits. Everybody at Winterfell is dead. Reek can prep her on what she needs to know, and every time she resists, Ramsey cuts off another piece of Reek. Finally, they escape in Season 5 and make it to Stannis. Yara will still be relatively OK physically. Ramsey couldn't mess her up too much and still have the public wedding he wants. She's a tomboy like Arya.

Son of a... I bet they do have Yara become fake Arya.

You realize Yara is older than Theon, who is older than Robb (actually maybe in the show they are the same age, they never go into that I don't think), who is much older than Arya, right?

They are not doing that.

You realize Yara is older than Theon, who is older than Robb (actually maybe in the show they are the same age, they never go into that I don't think), who is much older than Arya, right?

They are not doing that.

Number one, this is a story. It's just fun to talk about, right?

Number two, I don't think the age thing is insurmountable for Ramsey. He could claim Yara is Sansa after the PW. He could just flaunt her as Yara and make a claim for the Ironborn throne after Balon dies. Or he could just say it's Arya and dare anyone to say differently in his presence. But I do think they are going to use Yara in the same way GRRM uses fake Arya. Yes, there are problems in all of these alternate routes, but there's problems with Ramsey's canonical plan, too. Problems can be surmounted or they can be exploited. All Ramsey needs is a power marriage in the North, and Theon needs a reason first to help the bride maintain any subterfuge and then to help the bride escape. Yara fits the bill all the way around.

I spent a year after finishing the first five novels of the ASoIaF series intensely disliking Theon, no matter if he was drawn with words or immortalized on HD TV in the HBO AGoT series.an

Now, in the midst of my reading, I realized that Martin was much and more than a fantasy writer. With masterfully composed prose in one POV that establishes a character with an education that places him or her above another who does not have the benefit of Septas or Maesters. By enticing readers with descriptions that invent a powerful image, be it a weirwood, a sleeping direwolf, a sharpened blade, or a stolen kiss, Martin sets down "winning words" that have enabled him to focus on his series and other pet projects. We are the winners, ultimately. We as readers are invited into a brilliant mind that keeps on giving and giving.

So - as a result of falling in love with multiple aspects of Martin's writing. I slowly began to feel compassion for Theon. I forgive him - but I do not think Theon needs to be trusted babysitting anyone's babes, nor should Theon be allowed to use dangerous weapons without guidance and supervision. Forgiving is not forgetting.

I also presuppose that Martin has spent great sections in the series to putting forth and developing Theon for a reason - or several reasons, so I am thinking Theon will not make a very good sacrifice to the old gods. But these are only speculations, which I have fun making and reading.

Number one, this is a story. It's just fun to talk about, right?

Number two, I don't think the age thing is insurmountable for Ramsey. He could claim Yara is Sansa after the PW. He could just flaunt her as Yara and make a claim for the Ironborn throne after Balon dies. Or he could just say it's Arya and dare anyone to say differently in his presence. But I do think they are going to use Yara in the same way GRRM uses fake Arya. Yes, there are problems in all of these alternate routes, but there's problems with Ramsey's canonical plan, too. Problems can be surmounted or they can be exploited. All Ramsey needs is a power marriage in the North, and Theon needs a reason first to help the bride maintain any subterfuge and then to help the bride escape. Yara fits the bill all the way around.

He can't really claim she is Sansa because Sansa has auburn hair, Sansa is married already, and she is wanted by Cersei/the crown for questioning about Joffrey's murder.

And they cannot have her just as Yara either because than Jon has no reason to send Mance to rescue her.

And again, they won't try to pass her off as Arya. Arya is what, 13 in the show? Robb is 19? Making Yara at least 23. (Though if they just add 2 years to everyone's age, Yara should be 26, twice Arya's age.)

Archived