[ADWD Spoilers] S4 Theon/Reek

tf13

I spent a year after finishing the first five novels of the ASoIaF series intensely disliking Theon, no matter if he was drawn with words or immortalized on HD TV in the HBO AGoT series.an

Now, in the midst of my reading, I realized that Martin was much and more than a fantasy writer. With masterfully composed prose in one POV that establishes a character with an education that places him or her above another who does not have the benefit of Septas or Maesters. By enticing readers with descriptions that invent a powerful image, be it a weirwood, a sleeping direwolf, a sharpened blade, or a stolen kiss, Martin sets down "winning words" that have enabled him to focus on his series and other pet projects. We are the winners, ultimately. We as readers are invited into a brilliant mind that keeps on giving and giving.

So - as a result of falling in love with multiple aspects of Martin's writing. I slowly began to feel compassion for Theon. I forgive him - but I do not think Theon needs to be trusted babysitting anyone's babes, nor should Theon be allowed to use dangerous weapons without guidance and supervision. Forgiving is not forgetting.

I also presuppose that Martin has spent great sections in the series to putting forth and developing Theon for a reason - or several reasons, so I am thinking Theon will not make a very good sacrifice to the old gods. But these are only speculations, which I have fun making and reading.

Theon is one of the most artfully portrayed POV's in the novels, if not the most artfully portrayed. And can pretty much stand up as an exemplary "how to write a subjective POV" compared to anything.

DwD is much underestimated in my view as is FfC, they are both excellent in their own ways and bode well for the series as a whole.

He can't really claim she is Sansa because Sansa has auburn hair, Sansa is married already, and she is wanted by Cersei/the crown for questioning about Joffrey's murder.

And they cannot have her just as Yara either because than Jon has no reason to send Mance to rescue her.

And again, they won't try to pass her off as Arya. Arya is what, 13 in the show? Robb is 19? Making Yara at least 23. (Though if they just add 2 years to everyone's age, Yara should be 26, twice Arya's age.)

A fake Sansa would also impact Brienne's storyline.

I get it that you see the age problem as insurmountable for Yara as fake Arya. I don't. Ramsey is a crazy sadist and what he says goes. I agree it's unlikely for this to happen, but I don't see it as completely unworkable the way Yara as fake Sansa is.

But the best option for Yara captured by Ramsey is that Ramsey use her openly as Yara. So Jon doesn't send Mance after Arya. Would that stop Mel from sending him? All she needs is Jon's acquiescence. And then you get the drama of Yara helping Theon recover himself long enough to escape Ramsey together.

i really think that they are going to go forward with Jeyne Poole as fake Arya. It has to be that. Yara makes no sense. The whole purpose of having a fake Arya is to help the Boltons gain control of the North by having support from the Northern lords. None of them would give a shit about Yara, neither would Jon. For the Northern lords to believe it is Arya, she can't be twice Arya's age. The only reason for keeping Theon alive (aside from being Ramsay's plaything) is to help convince the Northerners that it is indeed Arya. And Jon wouldn't care about the bastard marrying Yara, nor would he forsake his vows to save her. I don't get why everone thinks up these crazy theories when there is a perfectly good story already written for them. And if it has anything to do with Jeyne Poole barely existing in the show to date, she really didn't do anything in the books until her transformation into fArya either. Just a couple of mentions of her by Sansa. A few lines of dialouge is all it takes to establish who she is and to explain the role she will play. No reason to fix what ain't broken.

Archived