Will Bran ever return from North of the Wall?

Tyrion's Third Wife

If he's going to be a tree for the rest of his days then he's much safer being a tree in bloodraven's cave than in winterfell's weirwood where anyone can come and chop him down/burn him/piss on his roots. He can still see through the winterfell trees whenever he wants, and seemingly talk through them

The way the CotF were building him a throne just like BR, I don't see them having plans to let Bran leave. It will also be really hard logistically until the Others are defeated since they had such a hard time getting to the cave as is.

Bran can still play a huge role in the story since he will be able to see everything - past, present and future. He could be the key to solving most of the mysteries that drive us crazy and be able to get the info needed to defeat the Others.

I hope he comes back at the end, but Ned thinks in AGoT that Bran will never hold his own son in his arms so even though I've seen it disputed as to whether he could still have kids, I don't think he can. And I think Rickon's whole purpose for being in the story is to be the Stark in Winterfell at the end.

So, I guess I do think he's stuck there.

The way the CotF were building him a throne just like BR, I don't see them having plans to let Bran leave. It will also be really hard logistically until the Others are defeated since they had such a hard time getting to the cave as is.

Bran can still play a huge role in the story since he will be able to see everything - past, present and future. He could be the key to solving most of the mysteries that drive us crazy and be able to get the info needed to defeat the Others.

I hope he comes back at the end, but Ned thinks in AGoT that Bran will never hold his own son in his arms so even though I've seen it disputed as to whether he could still have kids, I don't think he can. And I think Rickon's whole purpose for being in the story is to be the Stark in Winterfell at the end.

So, I guess I do think he's stuck there.

I agree. It seems like wishful thinking that he'll leave the cave. It is very sad to me that such a young person will forever be stuck in that cave, but it certainly seems like that's what the CoF are planning for him.

I don't like the idea of Bran evolving into a tree, I don't care how cool it is, how much he can see, and I can't shake this vibe that in the long run, it is not a good idea for him to stay there too long.

Granted, I think him being there does serve a purpose right now, for the story, and for us as readers, too. His connections to the Weirwood Net can show us so much more, we've only had a taste. I can see how his warging abilities to animals and trees may be very useful in the fight. It's clear that Bloodraven has been up and down, isn't it? I still get this sinking sensation that somehow, though, this is some kind of permanent trap that is being set for Bran. I think in the long run, he needs to break his ass out of there. At least I hope so.

I do remember Ned saying how Bran would never hold his own son in his arms, I take that as a true observation about Bran's paralysis. I also remember Ned discussing all the things that Bran could become, but as we know, Bran always wanted to be a knight and KG. My suspicion is that either CotF or BR are using those dreams of Bran's, his dreams of knighthood and being a hero against him, somehow. Yes, they have given him a way to be a hero through the Weirwood Net, to fight in perhaps a knightly fashion from his weirwood, but still, I have this nagging feeling it is a trap.

I fear he is being setup to never get out of that cave, but hope he will.

Ok, I'd feel better if he was planted at Winterfell. He always liked hanging out in the Godswood there before, didn't he?

Yes, but he didn't like the weirwood. From Bran II in aGoT :

(Bran) raced across the godswood, taking the long way around to avoid the pool where the heart tree grew. The heart tree had always frightened him; trees ought not have eyes, Bran thought, or leaves that looked like hands.

Is that another example or Martin's foreshadowing... ?

I find it a sad thought that Bran might not leave that cave, but I do believe, at this point, that he might be stuck there. It seems like a depressing thought, but I think it will play a big part in the story to have Bran be a greenseer and be able to relay to us the things he sees. Since the beginning, it came across that finding the 3EC and becoming a greenseer was his destiny all along. There was no other plan for him, and it became painfully clear that he can't do much else due to being paralyzed. The one thing he can do is warg into others. What would be the purpose to returning physically back? He can't do much else of importance, but he can be important as the greenseer, and possibly replacing BR. It's not the most heart-warming fate, but it is the most practical one to give Bran, so he can have a good story arc and place in this story.

Like was mentioned, Bran isn't needed to be the next lord in Winterfell, I believe that will be for Rickon. Whether Bran will leave the cave, I don't know, but I think this is his destiny to stay north of the Wall.

I think it greatly depends on the pending war with the Others as well as the seasonal changes. If full winter hits while he's north of the wall, he's north of the wall for as long as that winter is going to last. The real question is, are the Others bringing this winter with them? The last book is called "A Dream of Spring". Does that mean, once the war is over and the Others are vanquished, the harsh winter will also be vanquished, bringing a spring? I can see him going back to help rebuild Winterfell (he is named after a builder, afterall), but not until after a thaw

Yes, but he didn't like the weirwood. From Bran II in aGoT :

(Bran) raced across the godswood, taking the long way around to avoid the pool where the heart tree grew. The heart tree had always frightened him; trees ought not have eyes, Bran thought, or leaves that looked like hands.

Is that another example or Martin's foreshadowing... ?

Great catch! That makes it sadder to me that his fate may literally be tied to a tree.

I don't like the idea of Bran evolving into a tree, I don't care how cool it is, how much he can see, and I can't shake this vibe that in the long run, it is not a good idea for him to stay there too long.

Granted, I think him being there does serve a purpose right now, for the story, and for us as readers, too. His connections to the Weirwood Net can show us so much more, we've only had a taste. I can see how his warging abilities to animals and trees may be very useful in the fight. It's clear that Bloodraven has been up and down, isn't it? I still get this sinking sensation that somehow, though, this is some kind of permanent trap that is being set for Bran. I think in the long run, he needs to break his ass out of there. At least I hope so.

I do remember Ned saying how Bran would never hold his own son in his arms, I take that as a true observation about Bran's paralysis. I also remember Ned discussing all the things that Bran could become, but as we know, Bran always wanted to be a knight and KG. My suspicion is that either CotF or BR are using those dreams of Bran's, his dreams of knighthood and being a hero against him, somehow. Yes, they have given him a way to be a hero through the Weirwood Net, to fight in perhaps a knightly fashion from his weirwood, but still, I have this nagging feeling it is a trap.

I fear he is being setup to never get out of that cave, but hope he will.

I need to reread the cave chapters, but I agree that there's some disquieting going on here. I don't know that Bran and the Reeds should trust the Children. I also don't like that Bran is separate from Summer. Nothing good ever happens when the Stark kids are separated from their direwolves.

I think that cave is not the final destination for Bran or the Reeds. A party will be sent to retrieve them from the cave. Jon will be in this party and Melisandre will be there too. I think there will be an attack to the cave as well. The ward will be dispelled somehow, they will return the survivors to the Wall. Melisandre and Bloodraven have to meet.

Didn't Bloodraven lead a full life before he ended up as a tree? I don't see why Bran would happily stay in the cave for the rest of his life. He'll definitely leave, the question is, does he go North or South?

I think he might go looking for Benjem. I bet the children of the forest know what he's up to.

Archived