Will Bran ever return from North of the Wall?

Tyrion's Third Wife

I think whatever is going to happen will take out a lot from Bran,He isn't anyway in any condition to move easily so no,I don't think he will come south of the wall any time in the series.

He will probably be the last death in the series.

A Life for a Life,He will literally die to save life on Westeros and usher in spring.

Well, I certainly hope not. Sadly, I didn't find his chapters in ADWD that interesting....and overall, just doesn't seem like an ideal/appealing fate. It would be more intriguing if he somehow broke away from it all. He just seems to be less and less himself, less Stark and branching more and more away from the overall story. Part of me also wanted the CoTF would remain discreet/a mystery, instead of showing themselves. We already have every other mystical creature come out again after so many years. I know there is suppose to be some sort of dominoe-effect-magic-comeback going on, but still.

I just don't want to keep reading his chapters of him doing nothing but visiting everywhere else, if it comes to that. In the long run, no matter how powerful he is, it could be very depressing. Seeing is not the same as physically being there, and constantly going through that sentiment might drive someone nuts. Especially at such a young age, Bran has barely been through any life experiences. A first kiss, travelling and seeing the world, new friendships, books, clothes, armour, foods and art, more horsebackriding, playing with Summer, weddings and children, nieces and nephews, festivals, nameday celebrations, overall being able to actual talk, smell and touch things for what they really are. Even paralyzed he could still do these things, since it would be better than being paralyzed and severely isolated for a number of long years in a cold far away place.

With all my good old personal desires being said...mmmm, I'm not sure where he will end up. He might actually break away afterall at the very last minute. He might get word that his remaining family members are alive, perhaps he will have a final revelation that no, he won't do this, he isn't going to back down, turn his back on his own kin and duties. He might want to finally have a choice in his own destiny and take control of his life - everything was decided for him: his disability, his princely title and being made head of Winterfell, losing his dream of being a knight in the meantime, the fate of his friends and family, and now destined to be some sort of great greenseer. Enough is enough, perhaps? Additionally, he is often yearning for his old home, seeing sights of Winterfell throughout the ages, even calling out to his younger father.

In many ways, his situation is close to Arya's, who is also going through decisions and training towards a very serious position. Both are longing, and Arya is already starting to keep hold of her Stark identity despite insistance that she let's it go permanently.

Or maybe I'm just dipping into my hopefulness again :lol:

I can't believe the amount of hopefulness I notice in my posts sometimes, it's like my keyboard doesn't even know me, LOL

I really loved your post, by the way, really wanted to tell you that.

I think whatever is going to happen will take out a lot from Bran,He isn't anyway in any condition to move easily so no,I don't think he will come south of the wall any time in the series.

He will probably be the last death in the series.

A Life for a Life,He will literally die to save life on Westeros and usher in spring.

That is an interesting take on it. I'd have to ask, do you think if that should happen, Summer himself might still have a chance at survival? I'm just curious on that, we have Sansa alive with a dead direwolf, I'm wondering if you think it could, for once, go the other way? Or, if anyone thinks that could be a possibility. The idea of a direwolf really outliving one of the Stark kids never occurred to me, I'm wondering if anyone else has given that idea thought. It is an interesting idea.

That is an interesting take on it. I'd have to ask, do you think if that should happen, Summer himself might still have a chance at survival? I'm just curious on that, we have Sansa alive with a dead direwolf, I'm wondering if you think it could, for once, go the other way? Or, if anyone thinks that could be a possibility. The idea of a direwolf really outliving one of the Stark kids never occurred to me, I'm wondering if anyone else has given that idea thought. It is an interesting idea.

Greywind did outlive Robb although briefly,But I don't think that Summer will live to the end,especially if you think of Brans story as that of the Last Hero's or even if you think of Sam's story as the that of the Last Hero's Summer still ends up as the dog in the story and has to die.

Greywind did outlive Robb although briefly,But I don't think that Summer will live to the end,especially if you think of Brans story as that of the Last Hero's or even if you think of Sam's story as the that of the Last Hero's Summer still ends up as the dog in the story and has to die.

Okay, I was just curious on your opinion. I do remember the dog from the Last Hero. I always wondered, was Grey Wind making noise and whining because he felt what was happening, or had the attack started on him, I know we have some info from the Frey's how things went down with Grey Wind in the kennels, I need to check them out again. Thanks for the answers.

Okay, I was just curious on your opinion. I do remember the dog from the Last Hero. I always wondered, was Grey Wind making noise and whining because he felt what was happening, or had the attack started on him, I know we have some info from the Frey's how things went down with Grey Wind in the kennels, I need to check them out again. Thanks for the answers.

I don't remember the specifics but I seem to remember Grey wind going into a rage after Robb was dead or something similar.

I think Bran will leave the cave, but I am unsure whether he will return to Winterfell. My thoughts hangs with each read, but currently I think he will end up at the Wall. IMO, as a firm non-believer in Jojen Paste, Jojen and Meera at the very least need to leave the cave. Something tells me that Jojens death lies at Castle Black

I do remember Ned saying how Bran would never hold his own son in his arms, I take that as a true observation about Bran's paralysis.

I fear he is being setup to never get out of that cave, but hope he will.

I don't see Bran leaving the trees but I think, given his paralysis, it might be a way for him to really move around and see the world. He will also be able to "feel, smell and taste" the world when he skinchanges so I think that while it seems sad it might be the best he can hope for. He doesn't seem to be sad when he thinks of his future so for now, I'm not. But yeah, the idea of living among the roots sounds very sad.

In the end of the story he will change his home from that cave to the Isle of Faces. There he shall reestablish the Order of the Green Men, and he will become some kind of highsepton (for the Old Gods worshipers, of course).

Hmmmmm, very interesting idea, I hadn't even considered that option. I guess I'm always stuck on the idea of being in the cave vs getting back to Winterfell or being in the North. Something like this would figure into all the options Ned discussed with Arya about Bran, granted Ned was discussing how Bran could serve with Robb being Lord of Winterfell. I don't see a reason Bran couldn't be Lord of Winterfell, and name Rickon and siblings as his heirs, but I could also see another family member having Winterfell, and if Bran doesn't serve in some capacity to the Lord, I like this idea of Bran re-establishing something from the Isle of Faces in relation to greenseeing, the Old Gods, etc. Or even, Bran could wind up in his own keep, just as Ned thought he might be for Robb, a leader in the North, while he pursues a similar path.

I really, really LOVE number 4. That is a very interesting idea, and could be a distinct possibility. Maybe that is why Jojen has been so meloncholy, knowing that is time is coming and how. I like that much better than Jojen paste, LOL We do have tons of wights circling the cave opening as I recall, and while I love your number 4, I do think you've laid out a very good scenario all around. This idea of Gorne's way being the escape hatch that they all may need, Bran and friends, and/or Others and their wights, could be the key.

Yeah, Jojen paste is absolute bullshit :D One of the worst theories out there.

I do believe that Jojen is melancholic because he knows the end is rapidly approaching for him. So, if he’s going to die soon we need a way for him to die. I can’t see him just walking out the door and seeing that the Jojen paste theory is other bullshit he needs to die somehow. And sacrificing himself by taking Brans place seems to be a good way to go.

An attack on the cave of tCotF would also explain why on earth the Others have not yet attacked the Wall. I know that a lot of people are a bit frustrated by that. My theory would explain the prolonged absence of such an attack . The white walkers have not yet attacked the wall, because they want to take care of their most dangerous foes (the greenseers) before taking on the Realms of Men.

An attack on the CotF cave could also be a way to bypass the magical defenses of the Wall. We know the Wall in itself is magic and that a regular siege by the Others would be impossible (since the wights needed to be brought on the other side of the wall by the NW themselves), so they first have to do something magical to get through the Wall.

Now, if the CotF cave is the entrance to Gorne’s way (which seems rather likely) it might run deep enough under the wall for it not to be included in the magical defenses. If they defeat the children (who seem to be very weak at the moment), they could find an easy way underneath it without losing to many wights. They would also gain the advantage of surprise and seeing that the NW castles don’t have defenses pointed to the south they may be easily dispatched.

It would also make sense from GRRM PoV. Instead of having the Wall crash down in order for the wights to come through like everyone suspects, he would be able to put an unexpected twist on things. Another reason why I think GRRM might come up with the idea is the fact that it undermines one of the biggest fantasy tropes, namely that the hostile non-human entities haven’t got a mind for strategy as soon as the tale begins. If my assumptions are true than it would make sense to attack tCotF cave from a military strategy point of view, since they’d secure an easy way passed an otherwise impenetrable defense, gain the advantage of surprise and destroy their most dangerous enemies.

What also interests me is that Bran, Arya and Sansa have parallel stories in a way, that is all are under some sort of training, and I think all of them are in some sort of trap and will have to get out, LF wants to use Sansa as a pawn, FM I don;t know what they want from Arya, but I am suspicious they want to use her cause she is a warg and I believe the CotF and BR just want to use Bran as an instrument due to his abilities.

Thank you very much for the kind words on the post. The analogy of the three Stark kids and their training is very thought provoking, too. It does seem there is a chance that each of them will have to faces choices about breaking away from the training, or their trainers. Their fates could be determined by how and when each of them try to make the move back to their own fates, maybe?

I do feel that BR and the CotF are using Bran for their own ends, and those ends may even match some of the things that are best for humanity, for Bran, etc. Even IF that should be true, I still think the long con they are running on Bran is not in his own interests. I can see him fighting for something important from that weirwood throne, but should the fight be won, I don't see a reason he needs to stay there. That is where I fear the competing interests in that cave diverge.

Both post are quite enlightening, thank you. The parallels in the story of these three Starks, I never saw before, perhaps because I find Bran a pretty dull character. It is indeed very interesting. If we go along with this, can we conclude that they will end in a similar ways as well? Can we think of a way Arya ending up in Winterfell again? Because that path is open to Sansa and Bran (as regent and as tree :P). But what about Arya? Or are they going to have a completely different ending? Any thoughts?

Both post are quite enlightening, thank you. The parallels in the story of these three Starks, I never saw before, perhaps because I find Bran a pretty dull character. It is indeed very interesting. If we go along with this, can we conclude that they will end in a similar ways as well? Can we think of a way Arya ending up in Winterfell again? Because that path is open to Sansa and Bran (as regent and as tree :P). But what about Arya? Or are they going to have a completely different ending? Any thoughts?

I like Bran, but I do know what you mean about the chapters being dull, at times. For me, too much reading about snow and cold in general, just makes me tired.......even if there are interesting things going on I have force myself at times to get through it and not let the cold bother me, as if it were real, the cold, LOL. I go back and forth on the Bran chapters, but for me it's probably been more about setting, what is happening, who he is with......more so than Bran himself.

I'm not sure on the next steps, or the ending, but I have lots of different thoughts about them and I will give thought to your questions as the day goes on and as my time allows me to think about them and post them.

I really, really need Bran to NOT totally evolve into a tree. I do know that BR was up and down alot from his own throne, if I understand correctly, but still, that is not the fate I feel that BR and CotF are setting up for Bran. I really liked the theory posted by the user with the Ned avi in this thread for Bran, too, I have to double check the screen name.

ETA: Screenname Veltigar. I liked the theory outlined, number by number in this thread, for Bran getting out of that cave.

ETA: Screenname Veltigar. I liked the theory outlined, number by number in this thread, for Bran getting out of that cave.

Yeah, I know I just took advantage of your post to explain it a little bit more profoundly :cool4:

Archived