Small questions v.10015

Angalin

is there a place where all the 'foreign' words used in the books are listed together? Wiki seems to be a fail.

Don't think so. I think most of them are on the wiki pages for The Old Tongue, High Valyrian and Dothraki. I can't really think of any other major languages, though there are many varieties of Valyrian.

Did the alchemist guild exist in Westeros prior to the conquest?

I don't know, its possible, but they say the maesters gave them a hard time the last cenuries, but if not in KL the had to be in Oldtown...

a couple of questions I have been wracking my brains over:

1) In ADWD, when Varys and Tyrion are talking, they have this exchange:

"You knew what she was" (a whore)

"I did, but I never knew what he was"

Varys tittered "and now you do"

So what was Tywin? Is there a blindingly obvious, one word answer I'm missing, or is it down to the reader to interpret?

2) In AFFC, Cercei said she would deal with Jon Snow by sending 100 Lannister-loyal men to the wall to infiltrate/assassinate him. What happened?

Does this connect with Bowen Marsh in any way?

1) A hypocrite, he is also the hand the tunnel tyrion used was build for...

2)No, it did noot happen, because of the high sparrow and how he arrested osney...

Small question:

What do the WW do with the babies they take?

Oh, not so small, firstly welcome to the forums!!! :cheers:

Now there are many theories going around, the most simle one is just to mae a hybrid between whights and others, but a more complex one are experiments to make others resistant to magic...

Oh, not so small, firstly welcome to the forums!!! :cheers:

Now there are many theories going around, the most simle one is just to mae a hybrid between whights and others, but a more complex one are experiments to make others resistant to magic...

Thanks! Just finished the books and started my first reread. The first thing to pop up was the lack of kids in the group of wildlings found dead north of the wall. :dunno:

According to this timeline:

https://docs.google....rowsperpage=250

I wouldn't believe that timeline for a minute. It has the Blind Girl and the Ugly girl happening months before Jon's last couple of chapters in aDwD. In the Blind Girl, she tells of the slave ship w/ Wildlings comng from Westeros arriving in Braavos. In the next to last Jon chapter, he gets word of slaver ships picking up said Wildlings.

I wouldn't believe that timeline for a minute. It has the Blind Girl and the Ugly girl happening months before Jon's last couple of chapters in aDwD. In the Blind Girl, she tells of the slave ship w/ Wildlings comng from Westeros arriving in Braavos. In the next to last Jon chapter, he gets word of slaver ships picking up said Wildlings.

Did you let the authors know?

Is Raventree Hall older than Winterfell?

In DwD Jaime notes that Raventree's towers are square:

Two huge towers flanked the castle’s main gate, and smaller ones defended every angle of its walls.

All were square. Drum towers and half-moons held up better against catapults, since thrown stones were

more apt to deflect off a curved wall, but Raventree predated that particular bit of builder’s wisdom.

But in GoT Bran describes the oldest part of Winterfell as round:

That brought you up to the blind side of the First Keep, the oldest part of the castle, a squat round fortress that was taller than it looked.

So does Raventree predate Winterfell or did Bran the Builder have incredible foresight?

I would take it as a credit to Brandons ability.

I noticed the other day on the SOIAF app (which i dont remember from the books, nor does it make much sense because its so far south), that Brandon the Builder help to raise the last Storms End (round walls, etc).

That aside, it would be hard to tell which is older. Was. Raventree built by First Men?

What are the green men? At the isle of faces.

It hasn't been explained yet, though there are number of theories.

Maybe, but I don't think circular/rectangular shape had anything to do with it ;)

ETA: historically, round wall towers and fortresses became popular in renaissance and baroque period, as they had better defensive abilities against canon fire than plain old rectangular ones. But since there's no gunpowder in Westeros yet, this comparison is kind of moot. Mayhaps Brandon had his own reasons for building circular fortress.

ETA2:

That aside, it would be hard to tell which is older. Was. Raventree built by First Men?

In ADWD, Hoster Blackwood tells us how Blackwoods were kings in the Age of Heroes, before Andals' arrival. Given that, it's almost certain that Raventree was indeed built by First Men.

In DwD Jaime notes that Raventree's towers are square:

But in GoT Bran describes the oldest part of Winterfell as round:

So does Raventree predate Winterfell or did Bran the Builder have incredible foresight?

Lord Bronn's and KoW's comments basically said it. I'd just add that Brandon probably did not design the round keep (which seems to be inside the walls anyways) as round because he feared bombardment from projectiles, but he just liked the aesthetics, or thought it fit better or whatever. It's not that curvature was outlawed back then, it just wasn't used as widely because it's a bit more difficult and one of the main advantages was not known then.

I noticed the other day on the SOIAF app (which i dont remember from the books, nor does it make much sense because its so far south), that Brandon the Builder help to raise the last Storms End (round walls, etc).

Just because I coincidentally was reading this bit yesterday for my first re-read, from Catelyn in Clash, describing the seven attempts to build Storms End:

A seventh castle he raised, most massive of all. Some said the children of the forest helped him build it, shaping the stones with magic; others claimed that a small boy told him what he must do, a boy who would grow to be Bran the Builder.

It hasn't been explained yet, though there are number of theories.

Maybe, but I don't think circular/rectangular shape had anything to do with it ;)

ETA: historically, round wall towers and fortresses became popular in renaissance and baroque period, as they had better defensive abilities against canon fire than plain old rectangular ones. But since there's no gunpowder in Westeros yet, this comparison is kind of moot. Mayhaps Brandon had his own reasons for building circular fortress.

ETA2:

In ADWD, Hoster Blackwood tells us how Blackwoods were kings in the Age of Heroes, before Andals' arrival. Given that, it's almost certain that Raventree was indeed built by First Men.

Lord Bronn's and KoW's comments basically said it. I'd just add that Brandon probably did not design the round keep (which seems to be inside the walls anyways) as round because he feared bombardment from projectiles, but he just liked the aesthetics, or thought it fit better or whatever. It's not that curvature was outlawed back then, it just wasn't used as widely because it's a bit more difficult and one of the main advantages was not known then.

The main thing that made it stand out to me is the tree, it's been dead for as many as thousands of years yet it's bigger than all the others we see. Judging from Jaime's description it sounds even bigger than Whitetree. I know that's not really a sound way of judging the age of RH but it does make me wonder.

EDT: And if BtB built WF that would have been near or at the end of the Age of Heroes wouldn't it?

Deepwood Motte?

Deepwoode Motte it is. Larence Snow is fostered by the Glovers.

EDT: And if BtB built WF that would have been near or at the end of the Age of Heroes wouldn't it?

I think not. Andals invasion (which IIRC marks the end of Age of Heroes) happened 6000 years ago, while Bran the Builder lived cca 8000 years before the main storyline.

I think not. Andals invasion (which IIRC marks the end of Age of Heroes) happened 6000 years ago, while Bran the Builder lived cca 8000 years before the main storyline.

Umm... Isnt that irrelevant? If First Men built both places, Andals have nothing to do with it.

Raventree and Winterfell would have both been built before the Seven came.

Archived