Small questions v.10015

Angalin

What are the green men? At the isle of faces.

No one explained, but as someone mentioned theorie about them exist.

Is Raventree Hall older than Winterfell?

In DwD Jaime notes that Raventree's towers are square:

But in GoT Bran describes the oldest part of Winterfell as round:

So does Raventree predate Winterfell or did Bran the Builder have incredible foresight?

Its very possible, there are many castles older than winterfell...

I would take it as a credit to Brandons ability.

I noticed the other day on the SOIAF app (which i dont remember from the books, nor does it make much sense because its so far south), that Brandon the Builder help to raise the last Storms End (round walls, etc).

That aside, it would be hard to tell which is older. Was. Raventree built by First Men?

It was in the book, catelyn during the meeting between renly and stannis said it, but it was reffered to as a legend so....

Where is Larence Snow?

Deepwood Motte?

Maybe he died with the rabbits?

Umm... Isnt that irrelevant? If First Men built both places, Andals have nothing to do with it.

Raventree and Winterfell would have both been built before the Seven came.

I was replying to question Was Winterfell built near the end of Age of Heros?, and provided timeline to show why I think this isn't the case. ;)

Otherwise, you're right. Both Raventree and Winterfell were built before the Andals.

Small question:

What do the WW do with the babies they take?

It's not clear. All we know is that Craster's baby sons are being sacrificed to the "real gods" and probably he assumes that they're all dead. However, his wives think differently: Gilly pleads to Sam to take her and her baby away or else Craster's other sons are coming to get him. If Gilly is talking about the Others here, the sacrificed babies possibly become Others (this is one of the common theory).

I wouldn't believe that timeline for a minute. It has the Blind Girl and the Ugly girl happening months before Jon's last couple of chapters in aDwD. In the Blind Girl, she tells of the slave ship w/ Wildlings comng from Westeros arriving in Braavos. In the next to last Jon chapter, he gets word of slaver ships picking up said Wildlings.

A lot of people have claimed this as an error, but I re-read both chapters to confirm this and there's no indication the Arya chapter occurs after Jon's. It's not like the slave ships are leaving Hardhome in the Jon chapter; he just hears news of them. North of the wall they have no R-mail; it's some 400 km from Hardhome to Castle Black, and news has to go through the wall at a time where the NW is not willing to send many rangers out.

in affc kingsmoot euron has 'plate and pearls'?

what is plate???

i thought it meant silver plate but that wasnt around in our world untill 19th c. so maybe not.

Anyone know??

GRRM often refers to plate armor (vs mesh, boiled leather, etc), I'm pretty sure he mean this as euron's giveaways...armor seems harder to come by in the non-knighted community. :)

I would take it as a credit to Brandons ability.

I noticed the other day on the SOIAF app (which i dont remember from the books, nor does it make much sense because its so far south), that Brandon the Builder help to raise the last Storms End (round walls, etc).

That aside, it would be hard to tell which is older. Was. Raventree built by First Men?

GRRM has said not to take "legends" at face value. BtB couldn't have built all the things he is given credt for. We have unrealiable sourses, and legends are even less.

A lot of people have claimed this as an error, but I re-read both chapters to confirm this and there's no indication the Arya chapter occurs after Jon's. It's not like the slave ships are leaving Hardhome in the Jon chapter; he just hears news of them. North of the wall they have no R-mail; it's some 400 km from Hardhome to Castle Black, and news has to go through the wall at a time where the NW is not willing to send many rangers out.

I would strongly disagree. The Blind girl happens over months. If you reread Sam's chapter, it took more then a month to Sail to Braavos, and this ship hits a storm, and drifted in to Braavos(somewhere the slavers did not want to go) Jon on the other hand believes he has the time to gather his forces, and get there in time to make a differents, before other things come up.

Now if that timeline had them starting around the same time, I could buy it, but 4 months before? Then have the Ugly Girl happening in between? When Blind Girl goes on for at least 3 months?

Why is Dany sometimes called Kingslayer and Kinslayer?

She didn't kill Viserys, that wasn't her fault in the slightest, and it could be argued that she killed Drogo who was a "king" of sorts, but it was more of a mercy killing and he was already "dead"

Edit: I will add another question into my post; Why the whole "I am Daenerys STORMBORN" thing? Surely to be more impressive she will use her Targaryen name?

SQ, there's a passage where Mel seems to smell like Ygritte. It must be a Jon chapter, because he's doing the smelling (IIRC). anyone post a quote on that?

Is this is? It's page 338 in my e-book.

In the shadow of the Wall, the direwolf brushed up against his fingers. For half a heartbeat the night came alive with a thousand smells, and Jon Snow heard the crackle of the crust breaking on a patch of old snow. Someone was behind him, he realized suddenly. Someone who smelled warm as a summer day.

When he turned he saw Ygritte.

She stood beneath the scorched stones of the Lord Commander’s Tower, cloaked in darkness and in memory. The light of the moon was in her hair, her red hair kissed by fire. When he saw that, ]Jon’s heart leapt into his mouth. “Ygritte,” he said.

Is this is? It's page 338 in my e-book.

Y'know. I'm not sure. I thought it was earlier in. There might be two mel smells bits.

But this is equally useful, as i'm looking at every time Jon mistakes Mel for Ygritte, so cheers Techelles.

Y'know. I'm not sure. I thought it was earlier in. There might be two mel smells bits.

But this is equally useful, as i'm looking at every time Jon mistakes Mel for Ygritte, so cheers Techelles.

How about this one it's from SoS:

He shut the door and pulled the bell cord. The winch began to turn. They rose. The day was

bright and the Wall was weeping, long fingers of water trickling down its face and glinting in the

sun. In the close confines of the iron cage, he was acutely aware of the red woman’s presence.

She even smells red. The scent reminded him of Mikken’s forge, of the way iron smelled when

red-hot; the scent was smoke and blood. Kissed by fire, he thought, remembering Ygritte. The

wind got in amongst Melisandre’s long red robes and sent them flapping against Jon’s legs as he

stood beside her. “You are not cold, my lady?” he asked her.

Those are the only ones involving smells and Mel that I could find.

Okay mind you, Obsidian does not come from dragons directly but it was there before the Targaryens first arrived (I think the Children of the Forest had it and originally gave it to the first men right?)....anyways I guess what I am wondering or thinking, is there any evidence that dragons also existed at some point on Westeros before the arrival of the Targs? Even if long, long before? I mean even if they originated around Valyria they could freaking fly right? Any text referring to dragons landing in Westeros or inhabiting it before the Targaryens?

Okay mind you, Obsidian does not come from dragons directly but it was there before the Targaryens first arrived (I think the Children of the Forest had it and originally gave it to the first men right?)....anyways I guess what I am wondering or thinking, is there any evidence that dragons also existed at some point on Westeros before the arrival of the Targs? Even if long, long before? I mean even if they originated around Valyria they could freaking fly right? Any text referring to dragons landing in Westeros or inhabiting it before the Targaryens?

Pretty sure GRRM said they used to live everywhere.

My question is; If you were caught in a bar fight who would you rather have on your side. Choices are..... Victarion Greyjoy and his abundance of Badassery, Stannis the Mannis Baratheon and his fake out Lightbringer, or Tyrion Lannister and his genius I sarcasm. Please choose and briefly describe why. If you can think of someone I haven't named for any reason just list and explain please. This is my first ever post so I figured it would have to be a stupid question so sorry if I aggravate any serious people on the thread.

My question is; If you were caught in a bar fight who would you rather have on your side. Choices are..... Victarion Greyjoy and his abundance of Badassery, Stannis the Mannis Baratheon and his fake out Lightbringer, or Tyrion Lannister and his genius I sarcasm. Please choose and briefly describe why. If you can think of someone I haven't named for any reason just list and explain please. This is my first ever post so I figured it would have to be a stupid question so sorry if I aggravate any serious people on the thread.

Archived