Arya can not be a FM because

Mithras

she can not lose her identity completely. Some part of her lives in Nymeria and some part of Nymeria lives in her. She cannot be a true FM because of this warg connection. I think kindly man suspect something but when this is exposed, they will say goodbye and send Arya wherever she wants to go

I doubt it would be that easy... I mean, they showed her their secrets, as acolyte in HoBaW, she saw some things that are not for public. I doubt that FM will be so lenient in letting her go peacefully...

I doubt it would be that easy... I mean, they showed her their secrets, as acolyte in HoBaW, she saw some things that are not for public. I doubt that FM will be so lenient in letting her go peacefully...

I see that assumed a lot, but I don't really see much textual justification for it. Anyway, what are you proposing the HoBaW would do if they discover sometime into Arya's training that there is no way to completely turn her into no-one. Would they kill her? Would they hold her prisoner, incommunicado for life, rather than risk her divulging some of their secrets? That just doesn't strike me as the way they do business.

If the HoBaW fail to erase Arya's personality to the degree that they expect, that would be their failing, not hers. Anyway, what is the threshold? I'm pretty sure all the current Faceless Men retain SOME memories of their pasts. The Waif for instance seems to know her origins.

It's a point that's often brought up but seldom thought through to the logical conclusion.

I see that assumed a lot, but I don't really see much textual justification for it. Anyway, what are you proposing the HoBaW would do if they discover sometime into Arya's training that there is no way to completely turn her into no-one. Would they kill her? Would they hold her prisoner, incommunicado for life, rather than risk her divulging some of their secrets? That just doesn't strike me as the way they do business.

Doesn't it? I mean you have secretive to call it, guild or brotherhood, where magical rituals are being preformed. You don't think that HoBaW isn't open for everyone... I mean, FM are the elitist assassins and what they are taught in HoBaW isn't something so common in WOIAF. For me, imprisoning or killing her seems just the way they would do job... Secrets are important in the business...

Ned told her that lone wolf dies and the pack survive. I think once her 3rd eye is opened, she will remember this and go to riverlands to join with Nymeria's pack.

And for Mladen, kindy man many times proposed her to leave, and they will do everything they can to help her in it. He told they can make Arya a courtesan if she likes. And Arya already knew much about what is going on in the HoB&W.

FM organisation scares the hell out of normal folk. While Arya is coming to Braavos, the captain and son reminded her their names specifically and do that many times. So, they want the HoB&W remember their names and do not do any harm to them ever. Arya is no fool and she will not tell any creepy details of what is going on in the HoB&W. I think the FM do not even need to remind her that.

she can not lose her identity completely. Some part of her lives in Nymeria and some part of Nymeria lives in her. She cannot be a true FM because of this warg connection. I think kindly man suspect something but when this is exposed, they will say goodbye and send Arya wherever she wants to go

No, Arya will not become a faceless man. The reason is quite simple actually, that she has not forgotten about her true identity yet. From King's Landing to Braavos she has changed so many names, but still has been unable to elude her true identity, ie being Arya of House Stark. Also is her warg connection to her wolf Nymeria, that will never let her forget this identity.

Let us see this quote from AFFC

She stood on the end of the dock, pale and goosefleshed and shivering in the fog. In her hand, Needle seemed to whisper to her. Stick them with the pointy end, it said, and, don’t tell Sansa! Mikken’s mark was on the blade. It’s just a sword. If she needed a sword, there were a hundred under the temple. Needle was too small to be a proper sword, it was hardly more than a toy. She’d been a stupid little girl when Jon had it made for her. “It’s

just a sword,” she said, aloud this time . . .

. . . but it wasn’t.

Needle was Robb and Bran and Rickon, her mother and her father, even Sansa. Needle was Winterfell’s grey walls, and the laughter of its people. Needle was the summer snows, Old Nan’s stories, the heart tree with its red leaves and scary face, the warm earthy smell of the glass gardens, the sound of the north wind rattling the shutters of her room. Needle was Jon Snow’s smile. He used to mess my hair and call me “little sister,”

she remembered, and suddenly there were tears in her eyes.

Polliver had stolen the sword from her when the Mountain’s men took her captive, but when she and the Hound walked into the inn at the crossroads, there it was. The gods wanted me to have it. Not the Seven, nor Him of Many Faces, but her father’s gods, the old gods of the north. The Many-Faced God can have the rest, she thought, but he can’t have this.

You see, this was a major turning point in her arc. She had a chance to denounce her old self, and yet she chose not to. This one quote sums her up beautifully in my opinion. People have said she has forgotten her family, that she is a sociopath, a heartless killer and other vile things I don't care to mention about her, this quote alone denounces all that. As long as she has Needle, she has that connection to her family which is all that is needed. As long as she is capable of love and affection and is being driven by emotions, there is no way she can turn into a heartless assassin.

A quote from meself

"Let the long night come and the white snows fall, this lone wolf will help the pack survive."

Doesn't it? I mean you have secretive to call it, guild or brotherhood, where magical rituals are being preformed. You don't think that HoBaW isn't open for everyone... I mean, FM are the elitist assassins and what they are taught in HoBaW isn't something so common in WOIAF. For me, imprisoning or killing her seems just the way they would do job... Secrets are important in the business...

No. Don't say that. :fencing:

It going to be like one of those movies and the girl finds out that the place shes training at is actually bad and she has to escape.

No. And no. And eight times no. :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

No, Arya will not become a faceless man. The reason is quite simple actually, that she has not forgotten about her true identity yet. From King's Landing to Braavos she has changed so many names, but still has been unable to elude her true identity, ie being Arya of House Stark. Also is her warg connection to her wolf Nymeria, that will never let her forget this identity.

Let us see this quote from AFFC

You see, this was a major turning point in her arc. She had a chance to denounce her old self, and yet she chose not to. This one quote sums her up beautifully in my opinion. People have said she has forgotten her family, that she is a sociopath, a heartless killer and other vile things I don't care to mention about her, this quote alone denounces all that. As long as she has Needle, she has that connection to her family which is all that is needed. As long as she is capable of love and affection and is being driven by emotions, there is no way she can turn into a heartless assassin.

A quote from meself

"Let the long night come and the white snows fall, this lone wolf will help the pack survive."

No. Don't say that. :fencing:

No. And no. And eight times no. :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

I totally agree with you on Arya and all the meaning in the passage you brought from AFFC, shocking, huh? LOL and sniffle, sniffle, as Arya thinking about all that Needle represents is beautiful and heartbreaking, but also encouraging....as I do think the time will come after giving and taking all she can from THoBaW, that she will realize that her path in the longrun is the path of Arya of House Stark, and she will again walk it, if not run it, grumbling stupid, stupid, stupid....as she goes.

I do see the chance that the FM will be some awful organization that she will have to escape from, but I don't think so. I do know it's a possiblity, and I do wonder on Jaqen, too. I'm not so sure he is still OF the FM, per se, but the coin did seem to at least suggest there is still some type of relationship, at least? I do think that is a possibility.

My own thoughts on how the FM might deal with someone giving up the life....or the training?......I think it depends on the individual. I really don't think there is much about Arya that will surprise them, and while it is possible there are some recruits that perhaps they must have to do away with from time to time, I don't think that Arya will be one of them. I have to say, I also don't have a problem with the notion of them doing away with a recruit that they sense will do evil with the skills they have learned from THoBaW. I think Arya will have more training, complete more work for them, but in the long run, leave peacebly, or.....just disappear from there one day. That's my feeling on how it might go. They won't be surprised in the least, and may retain certain relationships with former recruits, novices, and full throated FMs.

ETA: Or, perhaps.....if someone leaving the FM CAN get away without getting killed, the FM let them go, as they are worthy and learned their skills well? Maybe they have to outwit them, outlive an assassination attempt, and then....are left in peace? Still, I wouldn't be surprised if at times there are some that the FM have to kill just for the sake of safety and some type of psychological evalutations that determine who can't be trusted to part ways with too much knowledge.

The KM all along has been a bit dubious about her...he must know that her talents will take her on another path. No doubt they will make her swear some solemn oath to keep their secrets and not thwart their operations. Most likely, they will also demand one more task of her...one which she and we will learn is very important and troubling. This could be one of GRRM's famous plot twists.

Ned told her that lone wolf dies and the pack survive. I think once her 3rd eye is opened, she will remember this and go to riverlands to join with Nymeria's pack.

And for Mladen, kindy man many times proposed her to leave, and they will do everything they can to help her in it. He told they can make Arya a courtesan if she likes. And Arya already knew much about what is going on in the HoB&W.

FM organisation scares the hell out of normal folk. While Arya is coming to Braavos, the captain and son reminded her their names specifically and do that many times. So, they want the HoB&W remember their names and do not do any harm to them ever. Arya is no fool and she will not tell any creepy details of what is going on in the HoB&W. I think the FM do not even need to remind her that.

But that he say such a thing after they change her face? IIRC, he doesn't.

I think the moment they showed her the face changing thing her training went through a threshold and she can not turn back afterwards.

My take is that Arya will leave the FM, but will be unable to publicly announce her identity because Arya Stark will be hunted by the FM until her death.

Archived