Will Qyburn betray Cersei?

bloodsteel bitterraven

Absolutely, the first sign of trouble he'll sell her down the Blackwater.

Why though? Who allows him anything more than Cersei does? He doesn't have to draw his sword in her defense but it certainly seems in his best interests to keep her around if he could. He's a maester without a chain, no one is keeping him around if Cersei's deposed.

Why though? Who allows him anything more than Cersei does? He doesn't have to draw his sword in her defense but it certainly seems in his best interests to keep her around if he could. He's a maester without a chain, no one is keeping him around if Cersei's deposed.

When in handcuffs almost everybody cracks, and he doesn't strike me as a man who lives by a code. If somebody decides to put pressure on him to get info on her he'll likely sell her out to save himself.

When in handcuffs almost everybody cracks, and he doesn't strike me as a man who lives by a code. If somebody decides to put pressure on him to get info on her he'll likely sell her out to save himself.

Your own words were "at the first sign of trouble." Cersei is on trial for high treason and a bunch of crimes, and was just walked through KL naked while being mocked by a mob of people and yet Qyburn is still helping her. Having your life threatened is the last sign of trouble. So yes, if it comes down to being killed or spilling the beans, of course he's going to choose life. He'll probably be killed anyways after he talks and he's smart enough to know that.

It takes a special kind of person to stay loyal to your short-term employer when your life is on the line. This isn't Arthur Dayne we're talking about. So no, Qyburn has no reason to sell her out until the last possible moment and even then it's not like he has anything to gain from it. Who would even take him into service besides Cersei?

Your own words were "at the first sign of trouble." Cersei is on trial for high treason and a bunch of crimes, and was just walked through KL naked while being mocked by a mob of people and yet Qyburn is still helping her. Having your life threatened is the last sign of trouble. So yes, if it comes down to being killed or spilling the beans, of course he's going to choose life. He'll probably be killed anyways after he talks and he's smart enough to know that.

It takes a special kind of person to stay loyal to your short-term employer when your life is on the line. This isn't Arthur Dayne we're talking about. So no, Qyburn has no reason to sell her out until the last possible moment and even then it's not like he has anything to gain from it. Who would even take him into service besides Cersei?

Maybe I should have said at the first sign of DANGER to himself. In regards to the actual statement I made you're totally right.

I think that the poeple who say that Qyburn has nowhere else to go are right. At this point in the series, Qyburn exists only because the Lannisters/Cersei retain power. No one else wants him around; he's not popular with any other factions and he exists under a permanent cloud of suspicion. The fact that he was so easily able to step into Varys's shoes (apparently) actually makes him more expendable; why shouldn't Mace Tyrell give his job to some cousin or nephew who can spread Tyrell coin around and (apparently!) get the same results?

I don't think there's much sign that Qyburn would betray Cersei. He's stayed loyal to her throughout her imprisonment and public humiliation. He's also clearly got no personal ambitions or desire to play the game.

And I disagree that he's got nowhere else to go. Roose Bolton might take him back, or I'm sure Varys would find some use for him. Alternatively, I'm sure there's lots of people in the Free Cities willing to support his experiments.

He'll probaly stay loyal within reason, unless he has some secret agenda. He could probaly find some post, but he won't have access to the same massive resources. He seems constantly to be finding excuses to take people for his experiments. Not even Twyin would have put up with that type of behavior. Kind of shows how far out it is, and how crazy Cersei is to allow it.

I'm curious who other powers he might develop. It's quite possible that this golem trick wasn't something he was capable of until recently, with the dragons returning to the world.

He's also at the top of my list of suspects as an agent of the Others. Both his black magic and his seeming desire to strike at the Night's Watch seem to fit, and he's in a nice position of power and influence.

I was actually expecting him to betray her at some point, in some way - I mean, he just sort of drips uncertainty. I am suprised too, in a sense, that she seems to really depend/assume/trust him without second thought.

Perhaps he just enjoys working with the underdogs, it is more interesting and challenging to him, with a comfortable source of materials. Maybe in a strange way, he is studying Cersei? He wanted to understand death, and what better way to intimately study the fall and death of a Queen in comparison to what most other people go through. He isn't entirely out of a job either - he might have worked on the Council, now he is working in the dungeons. I don't think he truly needs to depend on her for survival 100%, he just seems to know he would get some useful aid for his works, build his repertoir and reputation on the side while saving moolah. He likely knows that she is desperate, and would garantee him a couple of murders here and there, without it being immediately illegal.

If not continue working in the dungeons, he might head back to Roose, or join another mercenary company, or sneak off to meet Varys. He might be feared, but..,he himself isn't stupid unfortunetly, and he is talented at healing (And from saying that I suddenly have this image of Qyburn going over to Dany to offer his services :lol: )

Anyway, just guessing. Perhaps he is genuinely loyal in some way, for a good reason, or is being offered something else that we have yet to know, but still would rather be wary of him.

Qyburn derives his power from Cersei. If she falls, he falls. As soon as she was imprisoned he was kicked off the council. No one wants anything to do with the man.

This.

In addition, Qyburn doesn't have to betray Cersei to contribute to her downfall. When word gets out that Cersei supported his experiments and his practice of dark magic, she will be done. (Even more so than she already is.)

I don't think he'll have time to betray her tbh. Whether RS wins or loses the combat, I think the Faith will find out about his nature. And then they're both toast. I don't know who could ever think it a good idea to bring a headless zombie to a trial against religious fanatics...

Yup, I agree. If the high septon discovers Frankengregor's nature then Cercei and Qyburn are both finished.

I think Qyburn has been placed to give Cersi false security. It seems to me he was at the right time right place to "save Jaime" and has a deeper mission. He is setting himself up as Cersi's savior and can pretty much make anything happen at this point. He has the run of the black cells and who knows what he has accomplished. Cersi thinks she controls him and whatever he is doing in the black cells is for his benefit and no one elses.

• 4 months later...

Recall Bran's falling dream? He sees shadows surrounding Ned, Sansa and Arya - the Hound - another armored like the sun,golden and beautiful (Jaime?) and over both of these "loomed a giant in armor made of stone,but when he opened his visor, there was nothing there but darkness and thick black blood." Martin has said he likes to foreshadow. So either Jamie or/and the Hound will encounter Ser Robert. Someone will flick back Stone's visor to get a look at him (Jaime as LC of the KG?) or during the battle to settle Cersei's sins, and reveal the sorcery. Qyburn best be far away when that happens

I do not mean to hijack...but I have read several posts suggesting that Qyburn is no longer Qyburn, but Varys as an FM. I do not think Varys would do magics like Robert Strone. But others suggest that Qyburn did not seem to have much going on until Varys disappeared. They argue that Qyburn's powers increased dramatically. I do not think this is so, because Varys seems to eschew the dark stuff, practiced on him when his manhood was sliced and tossed on a fire.

But Qyburn hardly seems a player. More of someone who takes advantage of a situation. IMHO

EDIT -- but I think he would (and will) betray Cersei. I agree that Varys planted the coin to fuel Cersei's distrust of the Tyrells. I would like to know where Varys is hiding out in KL. Or if he is freely traveling around since he disguises so well -- which is another argument made for him being an FM.

Well insofar as he's a spy for Roose Bolton in KL he certainly might betray Cersei, even though that'd mean that he had no reason to help her against the Faith in the first place, unless it was to test his creation. Since he's the one who created Ser Robert Strong it stands to reason that he'd be the one able to control him too so that "thing" is actually an unbeatable machine that ensures his safety as well as Cersei's and possibly his influence/power as well.

If given an opportunity to work under another person who's going to provide him with humans to experiment, he will betray Cersei without hesitating.

I'm sure he simply puts up with Cersei and her stupid schemes simply because he gets to have fun in that freaky lab of his.

Archived