Will Qyburn betray Cersei?

bloodsteel bitterraven

I feel like the answer all hinges on who he's really working for, and I don't think we have enough info to answer that. If he's out for himself, he'd betray her if it benefitted him, although as stated he's unlikely to find a better sponsor than Cersei. Of course if the situation turns on the two of them, he'd happily throw her in front of the mob in his haste to run away.

On the other hand, if he's still working for Roose, then I would expect him to work very hard to keep Cersei alive, stopping just short of self sacrifice. Roose's power base lasts only as long as he has the support of the Lannisters, and they are hanging on by a thread right now.

If he's working for Varys, then once again he's going to work hard to keep Cersei in line, because no one sows chaos like she does. Same goes for the Varys = faceless man = Qyburn theory obviously. Which seems anecdotally much less crackpot than I would like to believe.

I suppose ultimately though they boil down to mostly the same thing, Qyburn will support Cersei right up until the point where he doesn't. I wouldn't expect Cersei to survive long past that point.

Archived