From Pawn to Player: Rethinking Sansa XXI

Milady of York

Thanks all for the kind words and excellent responses! :)

ShadowCat Rivers,

I have to admit that I didn't think to reread Arianne's TWoW chapter when I was putting together this essay, and I definitely forgot about her jealousy of Quentyn.

I think what's interesting about the way we see Arianne seek power in AFFC is that, while you're quite correct that she doesn't have plans for what she'd do with it, the seeking itself is a rather powerful statement. Particularly in the case of Myrcella, she's seeking to upturn a continent's gendered power structure.

As for giving this up to become a Queen, I think you're correct and she may have lost sight of what she wanted. I expect she'd not be a complacent Queen, however, and would want to be influential. In any case, I think you're right that Sansa is well ahead of her in terms of understanding the pitfalls of ambition, especially ambition in the form of becoming a Queen through someone else.

Ragnorak, I also enjoyed Doran's Water Garden commentary. I think you're right that Quentyn didn't get the message, but one interesting little thing is that he tells Dany he'd like to show her the Water Gardens. This connects up with Dany's deeper desires (the House with the Red Door, 'planting trees') even though she rejects it to try to bring peace to Meereen instead. And then right after, of course, they both choose dragons instead.

I have to wonder if Doran quite gets the message, although he's been quite a bit more cautious than his children. He literally exits the Water Gardens where we find him at the beginning of AFFC, and sends his children off in search of dragons. There's no doubt he's seeking to rectify serious wrongs (Elia and the children), but this, combined with what I think is a parallel to Littlefinger's Sansa machinations, makes me question whether his plans will really work out to Arianne's best interest.

On the subject of Arianne's political awareness, one little bit that caught my eye this go-around was her mention House Yronwood as Blackfyre supporters. This may be a little too off topic, but I found this intriguing. At the very least I think the mention of the Blackfyres in a passage where Arianne is discussing history coming around again and ouroboroseses should perk our ears up. How this will play out with Arianne marrying a potential Blackfyre is interesting, it seems like she might end up marrying a false Targaryen, only to find out that she still has supporters in Dorne when it turns out he's false, but they won't be her own family! (but this is wildly speculative, of course)

brashcandy, I completely agree that the Stark siblings are defined by a sense of home and family, and I think you're absolutely right about this immunizing them to an extent to the pitfalls of ambition. This is what I find so exciting about Sansa's arc going forward, she's learned her values the hard way, maintained her sense of connection to Winterfell and her family, and is now exceptionally well positioned to leverage her innate position if only she gets a few allies behind her.

In the discussion of Sansa's claims to the North, Riverlands, and potentially the Vale, all of which are valid and probably hugely important going forward, one thing sticks out- indisputably she is, right now, the Stark 'matriarch'(oppressive, no doubt :P) as the eldest living female. And this makes Sansa responsible, by the standards of Westeros, for maintaining the household- Winterfell. Winterfell, of course, is in ruin now, but this might suggest that it's Sansa's path to restore it in time of peace, to remake it as a loving shelter for her family once more.

Milady of York, I'm not quite sure how a repeat of Arianne's Myrcella plot could play out with Sansa. One thing that I had not quite considered that brashcandy mentioned is that Brune is taken with Mya Stone, and could prove willing to betray Littlefinger for this reason. My sense is that the Royces will be the key, and that Myranda and the others may already suspect who Sansa is. If I get really speculative, I could see Sansa assembling a group of allies to sneak away to the Runestone Royces, who are really a very intriguing House. We know Sansa met them when Waymar took the black, and we know they have that very interesting runed bronze armor. If I permit myself to speculate even a little more wildly, this could position Sansa with a House that might have a powerful Other-fighting artifact, in addition to whatever other political value they have.

Pod The Impaler, I might adjust your point a little bit to say that the Martell siblings seem more ambitious than the Stark siblings, rather than saying Arianne and Sansa were ambitious while Quentyn and Robb weren't. I think Sansa fills the model of doing duty more than Quentyn does, she wants to be Queen because she's been taught her whole life that her purpose is to become a proper Lady and have the best marriage possible. Getting to be Queen, and aspiring to do it well, is really an expression of duty more than ambition (although I agree there is some ambition there). Robb, I think, is also ultimately trying to be dutiful. He wants to save his father and then a crowd is given to him. Although once he reaches the point of refusing to back down when his cause is doomed, I think we can accuse him of a little too much ambition. Arianne is probably the most ambitious of the bunch, for the reasons I stated above. Quentyn is guilty of the wild ambition of thinking he can steal two dragons with a whip and a stern look (I may never get over how stupid this is).

One thing that I had not quite considered that brashcandy mentioned is that Brune is taken with Mya Stone, and could prove willing to betray Littlefinger for this reason. My sense is that the Royces will be the key, and that Myranda and the others may already suspect who Sansa is. If I get really speculative, I could see Sansa assembling a group of allies to sneak away to the Runestone Royces, who are really a very intriguing House. We know Sansa met them when Waymar took the black, and we know they have that very interesting runed bronze armor. If I permit myself to speculate even a little more wildly, this could position Sansa with a House that might have a powerful Other-fighting artifact, in addition to whatever other political value they have.

Good speculations :) The Vale really does play a key role in the events of the story right from the beginning. There's Waymar's encounter with the Others, the talk of fostering Sweetrobin between Ned and Robert, and then of course Lysa's letter to Cat that accuses the Lannisters of having a hand in Jon Arryn's death. Examining how Sansa is now connected to all of this, now as a mother to SR and hearing the truth of what really happened to Jon, it sparks some provocative ideas, and the seemingly trivial crush on Waymar is not to be discounted either. With regard to Bronze Yohn, Sansa's comment could offer some useful foreshadowing of a future alliance in light of our brother/sister focus:

He will know me. How could he not? She considered throwing herself at his feet to beg for his protection. He never fought for Robb, why should he fight for me? The war is finished and Winterfell is fallen.

I know Sansa is very much aligned with the political game playing of the South, but we've seen a gradual re-connection to her Northern roots - even if it's only to right the wrongs that were done to her family and ultimately restoring Winterfell. I don't know if you read our crackpot on Morgarth the Merry but I'm very interested to see what impact these wildcard interlopers could have in all of this too.

Oops, wrong crackpot linked :) (fixed now)

I know Sansa is very much aligned with the political game playing of the South, but we've seen a gradual re-connection to her Northern roots - even if it's only to right the wrongs that were done to her family and ultimately restoring Winterfell. I don't know if you read our crackpot on Morgarth the Merry but I'm very interested to see what impact these wildcard interlopers could have in all of this too.

Oops, wrong crackpot linked :) (fixed now)

I like both of those crackpots very much. If Morgarth is the Elder Brother and he revived Sandor with an assist from the Old Gods, that's two likely allies with Old Gods, and, I think it's fair to say by extension, a connection to her Northern roots. We can include the Royces in this too, as they're a First Men house. In terms of 'three Queens' speculation, there could be an interesting parallel here between a potential ally of Dany's, Victarion, and Sansa's potential ally in Sandor. Both would have warriors healed by magic by their sides. Dany might have Moqorro as a religious counselor, while Sansa would have the Old God connected, if nominally Seven-following, Elder Brother potentially. Could that make Sansa the 'Old God Queen' to Dany's 'Fire Queen'?

Shadrich seems like trouble to me. If I think in terms of a parallel to Arianne's Myrcella plot, he reminds me of Darkstar.

“Shadrich was a wiry, fox-faced man with a sharp nose and a shock of orange hair,”
“I would do the same if she were my daughter,” said the last knight, a short, wiry man with a wry smile, pointed nose, and bristly orange hair.”
“Ser Gerold Dayne had an aquiline nose, high cheekbones, a strong jaw. He kept his face clean-shaven, but his thick hair fell to his collar like a silver glacier, divided by a streak of midnight black. He has a cruel mouth, though, and a crueler tongue.”

They don't look quite alike, although both are described as having sharp noses. Shadrich's 'wry smile' might compare to Darkstar's 'cruel mouth.' By demeanor they're very similar, exceptionally arrogant and bellicose.

“Oh, quite. Your common mouse will run from blood and battle. The mad mouse seeks them out.”-Shadrich
“This is how you start a war. Not with a crown of gold, but with a blade of steel.”-Darkstar

I wonder if Shadrich's part might be similar to Darkstar's, to set the wheels of conflict turning by taking some rash action- in particular by trying to seize Sansa and deliver her to Cersei.

I like both of those crackpots very much. If Morgarth is the Elder Brother and he revived Sandor with an assist from the Old Gods, that's two likely allies with Old Gods, and, I think it's fair to say by extension, a connection to her Northern roots. We can include the Royces in this too, as they're a First Men house. In terms of 'three Queens' speculation, there could be an interesting parallel here between a potential ally of Dany's, Victarion, and Sansa's potential ally in Sandor. Both would have warriors healed by magic by their sides. Dany might have Moqorro as a religious counselor, while Sansa would have the Old God connected, if nominally Seven-following, Elder Brother potentially. Could that make Sansa the 'Old God Queen' to Dany's 'Fire Queen'?

Very interesting parallel on Sandor/Victarion I never considered before. I would venture that Sandor is more substantially aligned with Daario in terms of the comparison between Sansa and Dany, both as a love interest, and someone who can remind Sansa (as Daario does with Dany) of her "true" self (this works even better if we factor in the old gods association). Interesting that you highlighted below the "cruel mouth" of Darkstar, since this image also pops up in Dany and Sansa's thoughts, but directly related to the act of kissing:

As the boy’s lips touched her own she found herself thinking of another kiss. She could still remember how it felt, when his cruel mouth pressed down on her own. He had come to Sansa in the darkness as green fire filled the sky. He took a song and a kiss, and left me nothing but a bloody cloak.

The girl in her wanted to kiss him so much it hurt. His kisses would be hard and cruel, she told herself, and he would not care if I cried out or commanded him to stop. But the queen in her knew that would be folly.

I wonder if Shadrich's part might be similar to Darkstar's, to set the wheels of conflict turning by taking some rash action- in particular by trying to seize Sansa and deliver her to Cersei.

Absolutely love this. There's another man we meet in AFFC who performed a similar role, this time under LF's behest, and whose mouth doesn't escape Sansa's attention:

The youngest man in the party had three ravens on his chest, each clutching a blood-red heart in its talons. His brown hair was shoulder length; one stray lock curled down across his forehead. Ser Lyn Corbray, Alayne thought, with a wary glance at his hard mouth and restless eyes.

What a lovely thread to finally come back to. Amazing essays and great reading (and two bonus new crackpot theories to boot!) Thanks to Milady and brash for pointing me in this direction and my pardons for being so very slow about it. But, better late than never. :)

Milady of York, I'm not quite sure how a repeat of Arianne's Myrcella plot could play out with Sansa. One thing that I had not quite considered that brashcandy mentioned is that Brune is taken with Mya Stone, and could prove willing to betray Littlefinger for this reason. My sense is that the Royces will be the key, and that Myranda and the others may already suspect who Sansa is. If I get really speculative, I could see Sansa assembling a group of allies to sneak away to the Runestone Royces, who are really a very intriguing House. We know Sansa met them when Waymar took the black, and we know they have that very interesting runed bronze armor. If I permit myself to speculate even a little more wildly, this could position Sansa with a House that might have a powerful Other-fighting artifact, in addition to whatever other political value they have.

While the Runestone Royces are certainly interesting in that regard (and seem like potential allies) the other Royce Branch (Nestor Royce) has no interest in helping Sansa without Littlefinger as they are dependant on LF to get permanent ownership of The Gates of the Moon, and it was LF who raised them up to a higher place in the hierarchy. LF has also possibly helped create a rift between the main Royce branch and the cadet branch. Very clever, and I wonder if Sansa can do something to heal that rift enough that both branches would lend her their aid. I do believe that for this to happen, LF needs to be gone and Sansa needs to be in control of the new Lord of the Vale. Naturally, for Sansa's sake, it would be better if this was Sweetrobin, as for Harry to rule, SR needs to be read and she needs to succumb to an arranged marriage with Harry.

If nothing else, this is a strong political reason for why, if it's Sansa who is meant to unite the Vale, she needs Sweetrobin alive and firmly under her control, perhaps by having him uphold the deal with the cadet Royce branch, while also perhaps doing something for the main branch, like perhaps letting Bronze Yohn foster Sweetrobin.

Basically, if Sansa is to get the Vale to support her, she needs to do so by both undoing the fracturing there LF has accomplished, but also by uniting them under a leader that isn't her as Sansa has no claim to the Vale on her own. SR, as small and frail as he is, would be the ideal choice if Sansa's mothering (LOVED that essay) can help him grow, and if he is left in the capable hands of someone who can enable his continued growth. For that to work though, the Royces both need to be on board, as they are two of the major houses and currently not the best of friends. While Sansa may be able to influence Myranda, Nestor is the one who holds the key to power in that house.

Basically, if Sansa is to get the Vale to support her, she needs to do so by both undoing the fracturing there LF has accomplished, but also by uniting them under a leader that isn't her as Sansa has no claim to the Vale on her own. SR, as small and frail as he is, would be the ideal choice if Sansa's mothering (LOVED that essay) can help him grow, and if he is left in the capable hands of someone who can enable his continued growth. For that to work though, the Royces both need to be on board, as they are two of the major houses and currently not the best of friends. While Sansa may be able to influence Myranda, Nestor is the one who holds the key to power in that house.

Good to have you back ;)

I like what you noted above, and both of the Royce branches should definitely be considered as instrumental to Sansa's strategies in TWOW. As I explored in the motherhood piece, SR has grown from Sansa's influence, and could be an effective ruler in time, if he is allowed to live and get proper care. If Randa is to become an ally, it may be important that she too knows how to handle SR and to play to the boy's desires to be strong and brave.

on my reread and have noticed there's a high harp mention with Sansa at least once a book. In game it seems she already knows it. In clash cat thinks she doesn't know it but can learn when she gets free. In Storm she is learning it from one of margeryes cousins. Wonder if the Rhaegar harp theory has any merit (I don't nec think its in the crypts)

While the Runestone Royces are certainly interesting in that regard (and seem like potential allies) the other Royce Branch (Nestor Royce) has no interest in helping Sansa without Littlefinger as they are dependant on LF to get permanent ownership of The Gates of the Moon, and it was LF who raised them up to a higher place in the hierarchy.

I think Littlefinger's arrangement with Nestor Royce essentially secured his support for what appears a comparatively innocuous project, namely, Baelish staying in charge. He's been careful, so far, to avoid involving the junior branch in anything outright scummy, i.e., he convinced him that Marillion was the killer before trying to buy his support, for instance. Based on what we've been told about him, if outright confronted with revelations about what Littlefinger had done, I don't think he would try to cover it up.

The wildcard among the Gates of the Moon Royces (I really want to learn where their original lands are; they must have something, to have endured as a cadet branch, but it's never mentioned) is really Myranda, as I see it. Is she playing independently of her father? Is she in league with Yohn, who we know left the summit (heh) at the Eyrie before everybody else and so conceivably could have talked with her away from anybody else's watching on his way out? Is she completely on her own initiative and maybe less moralistic than the rest of the clan? We really don't know a lot about her, beyond that Littlefinger warns to be wary (which sets up fairly high expectations for her intellect), and that she's apparently very close pals with Mya Stone, which would be a good character reference.

The wildcard among the Gates of the Moon Royces (I really want to learn where their original lands are; they must have something, to have endured as a cadet branch, but it's never mentioned) is really Myranda, as I see it. Is she playing independently of her father? Is she in league with Yohn, who we know left the summit (heh) at the Eyrie before everybody else and so conceivably could have talked with her away from anybody else's watching on his way out? Is she completely on her own initiative and maybe less moralistic than the rest of the clan? We really don't know a lot about her, beyond that Littlefinger warns to be wary (which sets up fairly high expectations for her intellect), and that she's apparently very close pals with Mya Stone, which would be a good character reference.

Regarding the cadet branch of Royce, they seem to have been something like "tenants" in that they were stewards to the Arryns and ran the Gates of the Moon for them, while actually not owning it themselves. Sort of like Denethor was Steward of Gondor, I suppose. A caretaker, but no the true ruler. Which means the keep and the lands were on "loan" as it were, but not something the heirs would inherit. No other lands are mentioned as belonging to the cadet branch of house Royce.

LF in one stroke made them not just a cadet branch of tenants, but created a powerful lordly house. I don't think Nestor will relinquish this, and I doubt that Myranda would let it go either as it makes no sense for her to be reduced in rank again, especially as it lowers Myranda's expectations of remarrying well (i.e. she'll have more higher ranking men to choose from if she, too, is higher up in the hierarchy of the nobility). From LF's description of her, we can expect her to be quite politically astute. She has nothing to gain by being in league with the Runestone Royces that I can see. Her future prospects are tied to the rank of Nestor Royce, not the Runestone Royces. As for how much she can "play the game" independently. I am sure she can have some influence over her household and what comes and goes there, but in military matters and overarching family matters, Nestor is the ruler.

This means that Sansa will need to get both branches of house Royce onboard if she wants to make headway in the Vale. Mainly by making the next Lord Arryn keep the promise to the cadet branch, but as the main branch may not be too happy about the cadet branch being raised up in such a fashion compared to the main branch, then they too will need something to placate them. A more direct influence on the next Arryn Lord would be one such thing that could be used to placate them.

Regarding the cadet branch of Royce, they seem to have been something like "tenants" in that they were stewards to the Arryns and ran the Gates of the Moon for them, while actually not owning it themselves. Sort of like Denethor was Steward of Gondor, I suppose. A caretaker, but no the true ruler. Which means the keep and the lands were on "loan" as it were, but not something the heirs would inherit. No other lands are mentioned as belonging to the cadet branch of house Royce.

The Gates of the Moon keeper job has in the past been held by various Arryns personally (Jon Arryn while his dad was alive, Jon's brother Ronnel, Ronnel's son; Nestor has been keeper for the duration of his stewardship) so I don't think it's supposed to be where the junior branch calls home for generations. Catelyn referred to a "Lord Raymar Royce" of the junior branch when discussing those Vale cousins of the Starks, even though Nestor Royce isn't a lord prior to the deal, so that lordship must be somewhere else (and with somebody else).

The Gates of the Moon keeper job has in the past been held by various Arryns personally (Jon Arryn while his dad was alive, Jon's brother Ronnel, Ronnel's son; Nestor has been keeper for the duration of his stewardship) so I don't think it's supposed to be where the junior branch calls home for generations. Catelyn referred to a "Lord Raymar Royce" of the junior branch when discussing those Vale cousins of the Starks, even though Nestor Royce isn't a lord prior to the deal, so that lordship must be somewhere else (and with somebody else).

But Nestor is referred to as a Lord the very first time we hear about him, in AGoT as Cat approaches the Eyrie with Tyrion. I believe the Royces of the Gate are indeed the cadet branch, and that Nestor and Myranda are cousins (on the paternal side) of the Stark cousins in the Vale. This connection may come into play for Sansa as she negotiates the complicated course of uniting the Vale in the wake of LF's machinations.

But Nestor is referred to as a Lord the very first time we hear about him, in AGoT as Cat approaches the Eyrie with Tyrion. I believe the Royces of the Gate are indeed the cadet branch, and that Nestor and Myranda are cousins (on the paternal side) of the Stark cousins in the Vale. This connection may come into play for Sansa as she negotiates the complicated course of uniting the Vale in the wake of LF's machinations.

And I definitely think Randa knows that Alayne isn't Alayne...didn't she notice that her 'hair' didn't match? And why would Randa ask Sansa about Jon Snow? Too much of a coincidence; I think Randa knows that Alayne is Sansa. No doubt. And she may have told Nestor about it.

And I definitely think Randa knows that Alayne isn't Alayne...didn't she notice that her 'hair' didn't match? And why would Randa ask Sansa about Jon Snow? Too much of a coincidence; I think Randa knows that Alayne is Sansa. No doubt. And she may have told Nestor about it.

Very probable. Ask Sansa about Jon to see her reaction-and as we know Sansa *was* of course very interested in the news...far more so I bet than "Alayne" would be-she in fact probably wouldn't have even known who Jon Snow was

Very probable. Ask Sansa about Jon to see her reaction-and as we know Sansa *was* of course very interested in the news...far more so I bet than "Alayne" would be-she in fact probably wouldn't have even known who Jon Snow was

I think some of the other lords may suspect Alayne is Sansa or that Alayne is more than Littlefinger's bastard....Also, Littlefinger wasn't known for having a bastard daughter beforehand.

And if the Blackfish shows up in the Vale, he'd probably recognize that she looks very similar to a younger version of Catelyn, dyed hair or not. I think some of Littlefinger's plots are going to be thwarted in the next book--I definitely don't see the marriage to Harry the Heir panning out and the tension between LF and the Vale lords is growing everyday. No clue what happens when Sweetrobin dies--all hell will break lose. I don't see the Vale lords continuing to comply much longer with LF running the Vale. I imagine when LF finds out that Rickon is alive that he's going to be very, very pissed off.

I cant wait for her big reveal, im dieng to see the lords of the vale reactions when they find out.

Also I dont see why evreyone thinks SR is going to die, yes i know hese sickly and being heavily drugged, but it is also possible that Sansa saves him and rules as regent of the vale becasue shese the closest livng relative.

I also see her being allys with Dany and reconquer the Riverlands together going to war against Aegon. I also see her being an instrumental mediator/ negotiator/messenger between Jon and Dany if they ever find out about R+L=J.

Sansa's mothering seems to halp Sweetrobin, compared with Lysa's at any rate. Sansa does not have any direct mothering experience, but being the eldest Stark daughter, she may have already been a helper to Catelyn in Winterfell; as well, her mother is the big example of what mothering is.

Makes an interesting question - will Sansa treat ultimately Sweetrobin like she was treated by Catelyn, or like Bran was, or like unruly Arya, or much younger but similarly tantrum-y Rickon ? (As "Alayne", she cannot be too harsh on the little Lord, but I suspect if she has her way, more discipline is going to be applied and less leechings.)

Oddly, it is never mentioned what sort of father Jon Arryn was to Sweetrobin, but Littlefinger definitely shows a bit more stern impatience with the boy, now that Lysa is gone. Sad to say, he is the boy's father figure now, much to the dismay of the Lords Declarant.

On another note, I have this odd suspicion (call it a crackpot theory if you like), that Sweetrobin's destined to provide Sansa another sort of lesson on embodying the Mother: the loss of a child. Sansa may grow to care about Sweetrobin more, and then if he perishes (by malfeasance, or if he dies of natural causes), she may get a taste of what the hell her own mother was going through. Sansa has known the loss of those she has loved, but never someone she was taking care of.

I think some of the other lords may suspect Alayne is Sansa or that Alayne is more than Littlefinger's bastard....Also, Littlefinger wasn't known for having a bastard daughter beforehand.

And if the Blackfish shows up in the Vale, he'd probably recognize that she looks very similar to a younger version of Catelyn, dyed hair or not. I think some of Littlefinger's plots are going to be thwarted in the next book--I definitely don't see the marriage to Harry the Heir panning out and the tension between LF and the Vale lords is growing everyday. No clue what happens when Sweetrobin dies--all hell will break lose. I don't see the Vale lords continuing to comply much longer with LF running the Vale. I imagine when LF finds out that Rickon is alive that he's going to be very, very pissed off.

I am not sure Myranda knows enough to have already guessed who "Alayne" is, but LF warning Sansa to avoid speaking too much with her is at least a sign that he considers her capable of figuring things out; or at the very least, anything she knows she talks about, particularly to House Royce.

However, Sansa blurting out "Jon Snow ?!", when the rest of Randa's conversation produced no reaction at all, is something that may come back to haunt "Alayne", even of Randa doesn't know.

First of all, Yohn Royce was already on the verge of realizing he'd met "Alayne" before. I would not take much to jog his memory - if Randa is at a House Royce gathering and mentions Alayne's comment in passing (and she seems like a talker), then that light switch flips on, and Yohn may realize who Sansa is.

Another one who might be able to make the connection is the Blackfish. We do not know where he's gone, but the man spent many years in the Vale, in a high position, and no doubt the Royce's would be closer friends to him than some others. The Vale is a place he stands a strong chance of coming back to.

However, another important factor is that of all the people who know Littlefinger well, he is one: he knew the boy Petyr Baelish, knows the whole history with Petyr and Cat and Lysa. Now LF is a Lannister-appointed lord who marries Lysa before she suddenly dies? Suspicious. If the Blackfish were to hear about Alayne, he would be even more suspicious if he heard the Lord Protector was now ruling the Arryn household with his already-flowered natural daughter, whom Lysa supposedly welcomed into the Eyrie. He'd first question the girl's origins, and no doubt the next question would be why Lysa would take in the child of anyone LF slept with? Blackfish would want to see this girl, and seeing her - even having never met Sansa - he'd know he was looking at Cat's daughter, dark hair colour or not.

I mean imagine if Blackfish and Yohn Royce and Myranda shared a dinner table and the subject of Alayne came up? The subject would go from "Alayne" to "Sansa !" in a flash.

I dont know if anybody asked this before but how can a person be a player without having his/her own spy network? And at the same time, the loyalty of that spy network must be absolute.

1. Varys - He has the best spy network with unquestionable loyalty

2. LF - He has an extremely good spy network both in Westeros and in Free Cities (at least Braavos). He sets his spies into watching each other to avoid any betrayal. He is doing quite good for the time being.

3. Doran - He has a very good spy network too. And so far he had no reason to doubt the loyalties of his agents.

Other than these big players, I cant see anybody having a "loyal" spy network. Cersei thinks she does but she does not know that she not a player but a pawn.

I dont know if anybody asked this before but how can a person be a player without having his/her own spy network? And at the same time, the loyalty of that spy network must be absolute.

Well, there is that Sansa's skinchanging power (and Sansa is a war, without any doubt, according to GRRM) that can be used (and was used before, by Bloodraven) as a spy network. Powerful bird symbolism plus warging ability gives Sansa a chance to create a spy network of her own.

You dont necessarily need "spies"either. Loyal friends/acquainances would do the same trick, say for example Mya Stone, Myranda Royce, Margery Tyrell to an extent. By creating networks in such ways Sansa would be able to access much of the information that could advance her position. For example, Mya Stone, as a servant of sorts, would be privy to conversations that certain Lords may not think it dangerous for a servant to overhear, bit would be beneficial to Sansa. Mya, if matched with Lothor Brune, would also be able to give somewhat more detailed information on LF. Myranda meanwhile is likely to already have a strong network of friends who bring her the latest gossip snd news from other castles. And as Myranda strikes me.as the kind.of woman who weasels secrets out of her companions whether they want to share iy or not. A few more associates like that and Sansa would have a good ladder to advance her position. I'm not expecting anything on the level of Varys, but really thats not necessary; Tywin didnt have spies, yet he was a strong Player.

(Margery was just an example of a friendship she, at least appeared, to make)

Archived