Wargs and vegetarianism?

Meraxesfan2

Obviously this question is influenced by my own animal rights passion however, I am curious, since wargs can feel and see through animals, do you think this would make them reconsider eating them since they are sort of at one with them? Personally I'd like to hope yes :)

It is (as far as I'm aware) not touched upon but I am intersted in your own opinion .

There do exist vegetarians in ASOIAF universe in Naath for religous reasons. Obviously animal use otherwise seems pervasive - even if there are instances of connection/affection to indiviudal animals such as the pet direwolves, or Tyrion's horse that Jamie gave him for his name day; so probably would be seen as very "deviant" not to eat meat, but then again wargs are singular already..

Wolves eat meat. Bran has enjoyed eating meat through Summer. I don't think he would consider some sort of vegetarianism.. Eating meat is the norm in the North where vegetables are scarce.

It's not like eating other species is a bad/cruel thing. It's the natural cycle of life. And Westeros isn't the industrialized world we live in (with factory farms, etc.)

I'm vegan, I kind of understand your feelings. Any way, in my case it's because I crave vegetables and animal products smell foul/taste bad to me.

Obviously this question is influenced by my own animal rights passion however, I am curious, since wargs can feel and see through animals, do you think this would make them reconsider eating them since they are sort of at one with them? Personally I'd like to hope yes :)

It is (as far as I'm aware) not touched upon but I am intersted in your own opinion .

There do exist vegetarians in ASOIAF universe in Naath for religous reasons. Obviously animal use otherwise seems pervasive - even if there are instances of connection/affection to indiviudal animals such as the pet direwolves, or Tyrion's horse that Jamie gave him for his name day; so probably would be seen as very "deviant" not to eat meat, but then again wargs are singular already..

You do realize that many animals (and most of the one's being "warged" in these books specifically), EAT other animals to survive, right?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is hillarious :))))

C'mon many wargs even eat humans, and given that quite logically people would choose STRONGER anymals for warging (an this means mostly carnivarous animals - wulfs, bears, cats, eagles- this would make them eating anymals, not thinking about their rights. And even if someone wargs mammonth - I don't think it would make them vegetarian.

Hmm, I guess since skinchanging seems to be a northern (Firt Men) thingy, they don't really get a chance to consider vegetarian diet. I think when the winter has gone on for 3 years it might be that there's not much carrots left. They might also lack alternative protein sources and I'd say animal fats are pretty important part of your diet when living in a harsh environment like that.

In the only instance where the book delves into the training and education of skinchanger (Varamyr's chapter), it is specifically mentioned that they disdain warging into herbivores, preferring fiercer animals, which are generally predators. It is feared that a skinchanger who spends too much time in the body of a prey animal will become craven. The only non-predator skinchanger we really see for any length of time is Borroq and his boar. But, a) its huge, so its not really much of a prey animal and b) swine are omnivores, anyway.

Other than him, there's really only reference to a wildling woman who wargs into a goat, but she doesn't get much attention.

• 3 months later...

The religion of the Old Gods is somewhat a nature worship. I think eating meat is perfectly OK for a skinchanger. Mormont's raven ate the Old Bear's face after he died. Varamyr thought that he might have started his second life by eating his own corpse. He was very comfortable with this idea. Since his wolves foraged for him all his life, he considered it very fair to feed them with his corpse after he died. I think this is some kind of paying respect to the natural cycle.

Of course Varamyr was a twisted creature but Haggon seems to me as the true skinchanger, who lived in accordance with the nature. His (and the Stark's) skinchanging is completely passionate and symbiotic while Varamyr's skinchanging was oppressive.

Archived