Who will the Faith Support?

Dead Wolf

The Faith will follow Faegon. I'm not going into deep detail here but just think about this:

IIRC in tMK, someone rightly makes the remark that any prince who'll be able to hatch dragons will get the support of both the nobels and the smallfolk. Right now Dany has all the dragons, so the Dance 2.0. will be over fairly quick even if Faegon manages to conquer the entire south (which I rather doubt) before Dany arrives, since all Faegon supporters will immediatley turn cloak and join Dany.

To make the Dance 2.0. interesting Faegon needs something to even the odds. There are a lot of ways to do that but I think the most effective one would be to give Faegon the support of the Faith. We know from Targaryen history that the Faith has been a pain in the ass for them when they rose against Targ rule. They even fought the Targaryens to a stallmate (which I think can only be interpreted as a Targaryen defeat since the Faith was able to preserve its status as number one religion why the Targs had to put up with former rebells being spared). And they can probably do that again.

I think it would also be interesting for GRRM to roll with civil war aspect of such a conflict. I mean you could totally see some random town in the Southern Kingdoms. One part of the village choses Dany and her dragons while the other part follows Faegon and the Faith.

The faith will stay with Tommen i think. The High Septon has already blessed Tommen's reign and speaking in the name of the seven declared him to be king. The High Septon may be shrewd but he is still deeply religous enough to believe that the seven's declaration for Tommen (in other words his declaration) is enough to supercede any and all other claims even if he finds out the truth about Jaime and Cersei. The High Septon thinks he's the seven's representative on earth and when he blessed Tommen as King I think effectively in his mind at least he became king. Of course if Tommen were to die it would be a whole different ball game.

The High Septon knew exactly jack-sh*t about Dany or Aegon when he made his move to discredit Cercei and her children. He has made a huge power play and he didn't do it in order to bend the knee to another secular ruler. He wants the throne, and Aegon/Dany/Stannis will have to take it from him.

Nobody on the boards wants Tommen to die, but everybody thinks he's going to. But who's gonna kill him? Dany? Aegon? Mace? Stannis? JonCon? It's in none of these characters to send an innocent boy to his death. The High Septon though? He is one unscrupulous mofo, and it makes sense: Reveal the twincest, kill the abominations, proclaim Stannis a heretic, and the Iron Throne has no more legitimate claimants while the Septon has the largest army in King's Landing.

Of course, who knows what he'll do when he learns about Dany/Aegon/Jon? Hopefully he'll back Aegon. The High Septon is one guy in serious need of some dragon fire.

The High Septon knew exactly jack-sh*t about Dany or Aegon when he made his move to discredit Cercei and her children. He has made a huge power play and he didn't do it in order to bend the knee to another secular ruler. He wants the throne, and Aegon/Dany/Stannis will have to take it from him.

Nobody on the boards wants Tommen to die, but everybody thinks he's going to. But who's gonna kill him? Dany? Aegon? Mace? Stannis? JonCon? It's in none of these characters to send an innocent boy to his death. The High Septon though? He is one unscrupulous mofo, and it makes sense: Reveal the twincest, kill the abominations, proclaim Stannis a heretic, and the Iron Throne has no more legitimate claimants while the Septon has the largest army in King's Landing.

Of course, who knows what he'll do when he learns about Dany/Aegon/Jon? Hopefully he'll back Aegon. The High Septon is one guy in serious need of some dragon fire.

Not anymore. He sent a great number of Poor Fellows out into the countryside to defend the people. Mace and Randyll both brought armies to KL to witness Marg's trial. If there's gping to be blood, half the smallfolk will side with the Tyrells, who have brought them food, and the other half will side with the Faith

Cersei was an easy target though.

Her family and everybody else pretty much abandoned her.

They couldn't get away with doing that to a Tyrell.

But if they were looking for more power they wouldnt let Marge go through the trial, they would of spared her as an alliance towards the reach, i think the faith are playing their own game which is to set the realm straight in a religious way.

uhhhh, the faith knows or suspects Tommen is incest, right? So that might not work, and Cersei will be inextricable from the boy, so the faith will have to open the gates for Aegon if they even still exist to do so, considering Rob Strong is going to be knocking on their doors.

So Aegon maybe appears like a preacher's son golden boy and what if he promises the church he won't do the polygamy/incest thing. He settles down with one (1) wife and the Faith is happy.

Then Daenyris shows up, and says it's okay they don't have to fight Targ vs. Targ because she can just join him in a Targ Ruling Triune thing, but Aegon has to inform her this is no longer an option due to the promises he made to the Faith. Daenerys then starts huffing and puffing, not right away because that'd be rude and childish, but maybe a chapter later we'd see her getting angrier and angrier that this Aegon jackass is right there, a Targ in charge, and he won't just share the frickin throne with her, which would have been the easiest thing in the world. (then Varys' unknown agenda rears its dickless head at that juncture to take things in a mummer's dragon direction, and Hyjinx ensue).

uhhhh, the faith knows or suspects Tommen is incest, right? So that might not work, and Cersei will be inextricable from the boy, so the faith will have to open the gates for Aegon if they even still exist to do so, considering Rob Strong is going to be knocking on their doors.

So Aegon maybe appears like a preacher's son golden boy and what if he promises the church he won't do the polygamy/incest thing. He settles down with one (1) wife and the Faith is happy.

Then Daenyris shows up, and says it's okay they don't have to fight Targ vs. Targ because she can just join him in a Targ Ruling Triune thing, but Aegon has to inform her this is no longer an option due to the promises he made to the Faith. Daenerys then starts huffing and puffing, not right away because that'd be rude and childish, but maybe a chapter later we'd see her getting angrier and angrier that this Aegon jackass is right there, a Targ in charge, and he won't just share the frickin throne with her, which would have been the easiest thing in the world. (then Varys' unknown agenda rears its dickless head at that juncture to take things in a mummer's dragon direction, and Hyjinx ensue).

I am not sure if he does, but I wouldnt be shocked if he tries to cast Tommen if he knows.

I do not beleive that he wants to rule in his own right but he does want to have a say in how the realm is ruled. Right now he has given Tommen his blessing and I do not see how he can back out of this without any sort of political cover. He can not just back another claimant becasue that person is offering a better deal. However if one of the other claimants is popular with his flock he can't just ignore that either. His problem right now, at least from his point of veiw is that Stannis is the legitmate heir if Tommen and Myrcella are bastards. Aegon could be a more attractive option but the charges must be proved against Tommen and his sister for him to withdrawl his blessing. Still he might also have doubts about Aegons legitmacy and not want to ruin the Faith reputation by endorsing a fraud.

I do not beleive that he wants to rule in his own right but he does want to have a say in how the realm is ruled. Right now he has given Tommen his blessing and I do not see how he can back out of this without any sort of political cover. He can not just back another claimant becasue that person is offering a better deal. However if one of the other claimants is popular with his flock he can't just ignore that either. His problem right now, at least from his point of veiw is that Stannis is the legitmate heir if Tommen and Myrcella are bastards. Aegon could be a more attractive option but the charges must be proved against Tommen and his sister for him to withdrawl his blessing. Still he might also have doubts about Aegons legitmacy and not want to ruin the Faith reputation by endorsing a fraud.

I think the main question is if he knows if cersei's children are bastards

I do not beleive that he wants to rule in his own right but he does want to have a say in how the realm is ruled. Right now he has given Tommen his blessing and I do not see how he can back out of this without any sort of political cover. He can not just back another claimant becasue that person is offering a better deal. However if one of the other claimants is popular with his flock he can't just ignore that either. His problem right now, at least from his point of veiw is that Stannis is the legitmate heir if Tommen and Myrcella are bastards.

This puts the HS into an interesting position: The man he is sure the gods are against is also the one legitimized by the gods' own rules.

Exactly like Damphair's position when Euron wins the kingsmoot.

It's not possible that the Seven/the Drowned God could want Stannis/Euron to sit the throne. But it's also not possible that the divine basis for kinghood is wrong. The only reasonable conclusion then is that the priest who blessed Tommen/legitimized the kingsmoot was wrong, and is not divinely inspired. But can the HS/Damphair reach that conclusion about themselves?

My wild guess is that we'll get to see into Damphair's head in the next book, and watch him make that conclusion: he is a flawed priest who somehow misrepresented the will of the Drowned God, and the whole thing is his own fault, and he must take responsibility. Then, we won't see into the HS's head, but we'll watch him make untenable rationalizations from the outside, and know that he was too weak to take the same responsibility.

Archived