Damn! (A 3/4rs finished despair)

ShaggyCat

OK. I knew ASoS would be hard reading, from a perspective of being emotionally invested in certain characters, compared to the events gone before

But damn! I just got up to Jon's farcical "trial" before Janos Slynt and have spent this evening reading from the Purple Wedding to that. The one bright spot in an evening of steady shit has been the demise of Joffrey the psychopath idiot.

Must keep telling myself it gets better. Right?!

Did anyone else have a moment where they questioned if they could keep going with a series when all the characters you become invested in (whether you like them or are intrigued by them rather than liking per se*) just end up going from bad to worse to shit to completely up the creek....

* eg. I like Jon and Tyrion but don't necessarily like Jaime. I am, however, really intrigued by his story. Ditto Sansa, whose illusions of knightly splendour should be well and truly dashed by now but aren't... She drives me mad but her story is intriguing.

Story doesn't affect me as much as storytelling/writing really. A good author can pretty much do want he wants with characters without making me stop reading. In the case of asoiaf, stuff like ned, red wedding and purple weeding actually made me even more excited about the books! Oh and I'm pretty sure you will make it to the end of the series. Man what I would give to experience it all for the first time again

Ditto Sansa, whose illusions of knightly splendour should be well and truly dashed by now but aren't... She drives me mad but her story is intriguing.

Well, she is still a child with dreams.

I think it's one of the things which kept her sane and stopped her from launching herself out of Maegor's Holdfast. Hoping for better times. What's important is that she is a survivor.

I think she has clung to fairytales for longer than is really believable.

However, I like the Sansa building a winter fall in the snow at the eyrie. That Sansa is almost... I dunno - more Stark-like?

Compared to Sansa trying so hard to be a southern lady just like Cersai in the first book. It's a noticeable (much needed and appreciated) character transition.

In short: she doesn't give me the shits anymore.

Just finished ASoS. On to Feast then!!

Archived