Do we know Planetos is round?

falcotron

Your heaving kitten is pulsing in happiness from the ********(censored for terrible world naming) to GRRTH conversion.

GRRTH! GRRTH! IT RHYMES WITH MIRTH!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRTH.

GRRRRTH.

If Planetos sounds like a bad sci-fi movie. GRRTH sounds like a planet in a bad sci fi movie. And it also sounds like the noise cats make right before they vomit.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRTH.

GRRRRTH.

If Planetos sounds like a bad sci-fi movie. GRRTH sounds like a planet in a bad sci fi movie. And it also sounds like the noise cats make right before they vomit.

Honey, this things already in motion, look at how much buzz GRRTH is building. It can't be stopped. GRRTH is a force of nature. The only alternative I'd be willing to accept is GRRIDDLE EARTH and that'd be for joke threads

2 000 miles is the distance by sea from Eastwatch-by-the-Sea to Braavos (1 800 as the dragons fly), 1 500 ml from Braavos to White Harbor, 1 200 from Pentos to King's Landing (as dragons fly, 1 500 by ship), 1 500 mls from Myr to the Coast of Dorne...

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/File:WorldofIceandFire.png

I think there is no place where the "Narrow" Sea is narrower than 500 miles,

I don't know how you're reading that map, but I'm pretty sure you're doing it wrong. There's a nice clear legend at the top, which shows that 1200 miles is 144 pixels. Not counting the Stepstones, the Narrow Sea is between 24 and 60 pixels wide, or 200 to 500 miles. (And the only places it's more than 300 miles across are where there's a wide bay at one end or the other, which means it's still no more than 300 miles to the nearest land.)

but that's only the shoreline, not the distances between harbours useable for ships.

When you're traveling from, say, Pentos to King's Landing, you're clearly within sight of land until you reach the shoreline. Even if there's no harbor at the points at the end of Blackwater Bay, there's still land you can see, and maybe put a watchtower on.

On Middle-earth: up until the 1960s Tolkien thought of First and Second Age Arda as being flat. It was made round during the Downfall of Numenor, though the straight road continued to exist for the Elves.

Then in the 1960s Tolkien changed his mind.

It's actually more complicated than that. He also decided that just removing the western continent and turning Arda round made no sense, so he instead turned the world into two or more separate round planets, now orbiting the Sun, which was changed from a magic lamp into a big ball of nuclear fire. Then he decided that the Elves traveling to Mars at the end of the Third Age was silly, so he scrapped that. He went through a number of different ideas, taking them all way too seriously. But none of them made it into the published books; what did is the version I summarized above: God created the world flat, then made it round much later.

And at any rate, none of that changes the fact that there are well-known published fantasy novels that have a flat Earth, including the very one GRRM referred to in describing how his planet relates to Earth.

*And there the distinction with Martin arises. First Age Arda is mythological in a way that Martin's more historically-rooted setting is not.

Historically-rooted? Seasons caused by magic? Geological changes caused by they're-not-elves-dammit calling down a Hammer of the Waters rather than plate tectonics? Most of the migrations and conquests in history being driven by dragons? 700-foot walls of ice built to keep out zombies? The same prophecies being shared by people 7000 miles apart and probably determining the fate of mankind?

THE FUCKING WRITER FUCKING OF FUCKING THE FUCKING BOOKS FUCKING SAID FUCKING THE FUCKING WORLD FUCKING WAS FLAT,

I FUCKING AMAZED FUCKING THIS FUCKING THREAD FUCKING IS FUCKING STILL FUCKING GOING.

ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME BRAH! DID YOU MISS THE SSM WHERE HE SAID THE PLANET WAS ROUND? OR ARE YOU JUST TROLLING? POORLY.

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT.

3) Is your world round. I mean if Dany traveled far enough east couldnt she come to the other side of westeros?

Yes, the world is round. Might be a little larger than ours, though. I was thinking more like Vance's Big Planet.... but don't hold me to that.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Category/C91/P60

ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME BRAH! DID YOU MISS THE SSM WHERE HE SAID THE PLANET WAS ROUND? OR ARE YOU JUST TROLLING? POORLY.

I MISSED IT BUT I'M CHANNELLING MY INNER TARGARYEN BY WRITING IN ALL CAPS SO THEREFORE I MUST BE IMMUNE TO ACCEPT THAT I EVER DID ANY WRONG EVER.

BLOOD OF THE DRAGON DOES NOT TROLL.

I CAN'T LOOK BACK ON MY MISTAKES, BECAUSE I MIGHT GET LOST.

It's not that big an assumption the sailors already knew that before the events of the books.Also obviously it's a round planet because there's no such thing as a flat one other than in the bible

If you're not even going to read the thread, why are you bothering to reply?

No way Jose. GRRTH it is and GRRTH it shall be. There's like 14 different meaning in GRRTH alone, plus we get away from the "os" shenanigans.

http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/210422/it-is-decided.gif

*runs off taking the credit for GRRTH*

The double entendre is part of the charm!

I MISSED IT BUT I'M CHANNELLING MY INNER TARGARYEN BY WRITING IN ALL CAPS SO THEREFORE I MUST BE IMMUNE TO ACCEPT THAT I EVER DID ANY WRONG EVER.

BLOOD OF THE DRAGON DOES NOT TROLL.

I CAN'T LOOK BACK ON MY MISTAKES, BECAUSE I MIGHT GET LOST.

Best "oops, my bad" ever.

Btw, GRRTH is round, as per the author and logic and shit like that. Just making sure we all know this.

Allright Westeros.org message boards.....LISTEN UP. The word "Planetos" literally rhymes with Hitler. Every time I read it I get cancer. By even writing the word "Planetos" you're admitting that high school was kind of a rough time for you. Planetos is drinking orange juice IMMEDIATELY after brushing your teeth. Nothing....and. I. mean. NOTHING. good ever comes from the word Planetos. It sounds like a bad sci-fi movie I'm watching at 1:30 in the morning while I'm absolutely baked. Planetos sounds like some shitty board game you played when the power was out because you didn't have any booze. Planetos is eye bleach. And every time you write it an orphan careens off a cliff.

It's time we rename the ASOIAF world. "But Stan Bamf! Whatever shall we call it!" Let it be known, here and now, right at this very moment, that the world of ASOIAF is no longer colloquially known as "Planetos" but....."GEARTH." Yes....that's right. "GEARTH" For the new name is a portmanteau of "George rr martin" and earth, but also is a double entendre because GRRM is in fact....quite girthy. Yes....GEARTH. All caps. FOREVER AND ALWAYS. GEARTH is freedom, GEARTH is a summer rain, GEARTH is Christmas morning, GEARTH is freshly laundered sheets. IT IS EVERYTHING PLANETOS ISN'T. PLANETOS IS GETTING BRACES FOR THE FIRST TIME. PLANETOS IS RAISINS FOR HALLOWEEN. PLANETOS IS THE WORST!!!!

So starting now....from this moment....we call it GEARTH.

:agree: This. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

• 1 month later...

So I know this is kind of an older topic, but I believe there is textual proof of the planet being round. In AGOT you read in a Bran chapter that Maester Luwin is mapping the red comets location by using shadows and such. A few chapters later in the last Dany chapter they are preparing the pyre to burn Drogo, yet they won't start the fire without the sign from the first star of the evening. The first star she sees ''a comet, burning red. Bloodred; fire red; the dragons tail., is described as ''low in the East''. If we place her in the Dorthraki Sea viewing this to her East, we can very easily place this to Maester Luwin's West if the planet is round. I have a feeling the direction he was viewing it from was left out to leave questions to the ''to go West you must go East''. I think this could support the red comet originating over/near Asshai which to me is very interesting.

Archived