The Corn Code revision 10, "Advena. Periculum. Mortis." Martins Hendiatris?

Ser Creighton

I'm well aware of the rule of three. I also happen to think there is more to it than that and that Ser Creighton is onto something here. I don't find sufficient evidence to not think that Martin could be playing with codes and ciphers for fun.

Isn't the rule of three suppose to make things funnier. Or be used in patters such as blood, sweat and tears. Or "Stanger. Danger. Death." Oh wait what's that last word on the third count? Honestly I hope Ran comes back, the guys a genius on the books and any chance to talk with him I'll take. I respect his opinion, but that doesn't mean he can't be wrong on the rear occasion, nor does it mean I am right. What I do know is that there is something there, he uses the pattern way to much and the specific locations of the pattern and the stuff he often puts in a code is to much to ignore, at least for me.

Even though I really want to believe in this hidden code, and I found the topic super interesting: The more I think about it, there more I'm afraid I'll have to agree with this.

You just have to make too big of an effort to explain inconsistencies. Like in the example mentioned a few postings earlier, "Duel! Duel! Duel!" it's unbroken, three exclamation marks and contained within the quotation marks. This should indicate a major death/event in the same chapter. Yet there isn't anything like that, so because of that you have to look outside of the supposed code-boundaries to find a questioned "duel?"

And the other way around: In Joffrey's wedding chapter, you should find a connected "Word! Word! Word!" but there isn't any. There's a future-pattern with "Margaery!" some text "Margaery! Margaery! To the queen!" yet now the inconsistencies are supposed to mean that it actually refers to Joffrey's death? That's a leap I just don't understand. Wouldn't George rather let the people cry "Joffrey! Joffrey! Joffrey!" instead?

The Hound's "Bugger that. Bugger him. Bugger you." should refer to an incoming death of one or more medium-important characters. Yet both the Tickler and Polliver definitely count as minor characters in my book. They're not in the same category as Jeor Mormont, whose death was supposedly foreshadowed by a "Word. Word. Word."-pattern.

Chett, a super-minor character got his "Meat. Meat. Meat"-treatment in the prologue, yet in the Kevan-epilogue there's no pattern at all to be found, even though we should expect that his death is important.

I think this is more of a proof that the human brain is very talented at detecting patterns. If you look for them, you're gonna find them. And if the established rules don't fit the empirical observations, the rules are bent accordingly. The supposed growing complexity of the code as the books go on is perfectly explained by this. There is no code that's growing more complex, you just have to make more exception rules. Sorry, I just can't buy it. Again, I really enjoyed reading your OP and found it very intriguing, but there are too many inconsistencies for me to believe it's any more than wishful thinking.

Not really not if he want's it to be harder for people to find then himself, or harder for people to read it than himself. Why would he make it easy, when has he ever made anything easy? Glad you found it interesting. Ran could always ask them man, but I understand he also does not want to waste his time, and I don't blame him at all for that. So Ran was kind enough to give me the fan email for Martin, I sent it in and if I am lucky I will get some kind of reply at some point, if I am lucky enough for him to read it. I'll take any reply good or bad, if I am wrong then I had a neat idea, if I am right cool beans.

Chet is a POV, he may be minor but he got his chapter.

You are looking for a hole, which is fine but one off pattern or even a few don't break a highly consistent use of the 3 pattern. Take the slightly rare odd code compared to a far more consistent reoccurring pattern. What do you put your money on the rare oddity or the consistent patterns? If your looking for perfect I can't help you, but the code is consistent. Explain the bugger code, Dragonglass, Pates two codes one in the present and one in the future, the Red wedding code, the 3 fires prophecy, Marsh and his cronies code pointing to each of them. At the very least the codes are clues about death and Martin is consistent with his use of 3 and death.

Which reminds me, the 3 eyed crow, not so sure that is a good thing, though, the symbolism is one eye is not like the others nor does it actually exist. But it is also there.

I think people need to read the section in the OP about what I think the code is because I have not locked it down as one thing. The codes if anything seem to be a double or triple entendre's. Probably triple. Just three words, 3 words with an alternate meaning and "Starnger. Danger. Death." Funny how my code matches a pattern someone found after the corn code was done, a pattern that Martin wrote. Though he would never play with something like that. Not him.

I just noticed where Tyrion is eating crab with Mormont and Alliser Thorne. He’s been jesting Thorne and Thorne asks him to make his japes with steel in his hand. Tyrion replies ..Why, I have steel in my hand, Ser Alliser, although it appears to be a crab fork. Shall we duel?”…. Even the ravens joined in, cawing loudly from above the window. “Duel! Duel! Duel!”

This certainly has significance as Tyrion has just told Mormont that he is leaving the Wall to go south with Yoren.

Yeah I tend to stick with the formula I have. Duel has 3 codes just like it that I know about and the result is always the same. That doesn't mean I am saying I am wrong but unless I get more codes like I am leaving it. I always do cross comparison.

I'm well aware of the rule of three. I also happen to think there is more to it than that and that Ser Creighton is onto something here. I don't find sufficient evidence to not think that Martin could be playing with codes and ciphers for fun.

What do you think of double or triple entendre's with the patterns?

Yeah I tend to stick with the formula I have. Duel has 3 codes just like it that I know about and the result is always the same. That doesn't mean I am saying I am wrong but unless I get more codes like I am leaving it. I always do cross comparison.

Perhaps my supposition relating to duel? was a leap based on what we've known for some time. Without doubt, you've given me additional insight, so that when I re-read and stumble across these codes I won't be skimming over them considering them to be redundant musings. Thank you Ser for opening eyes that were previously closed

Here's an experiment. Teach someone who hasn't read the books your code.

Jon goes to see Jeor who has a letter for him, Mormont hands Jon the letter.
""Corn," it muttered in a raucous voice. "Corn, corn.""
"Jon's fingers traced the outline of the direwolf in the white wax of the broken seal."
The subject is the sigil of house Stark, it took me a minute as the letter is from Robb and is about Bran. The descriptive text break following the first corn signifies the future. At this point in the story house Stark was not at war, the danger is great and one bad choice can cause disaster. The choice is made when Cat takes Tyrion and a war begins. Robb marches off and Bran is left behind now watch how it combines with this next code.

Here, it's pretty clear that House Stark is going to be in danger from the first chapter of the first book, because if they weren't there wouldn't be much of a story. We don't need a code to know that. House Stark is in danger, or heading to danger, of facing a dangerous choice in literally every chapter in the series that involves House Stark.
ACoK ch. 28:
"Hodor!" he shouted. "Hodor! Hodor!"
This actually is Bran using Hodor name. The text is broken with one of Martins descriptive text Breaks. This is an event Horizon code, that will take place in the future and it is big. The location is the heart tree, Bran soon asks Hodor to take him to Maester Luwin. Did Luwin warrant this code? Luwin does not Warrant the code but the events around his death do. This is the battle of Winterfell and the events around it.

See if someone who knows your code but hasn't read ACoK can predict the fall of winterfell from this. Or do you mean the upcoming battle of winterfell? How far in the future does the code indicate the event is taking place?

I'll tell you all the same thing I told Creighton: there's nothing to this but wishful thinking. When "errors" or "anomalies" are found, notice how efforts are made to paper it over with new clarifications and variations to try and make a rickety whole. I mean, this "code" is nothing more than realizing that George uses one of the oldest possible rhetorical patterns, the rule of three, for effect. Pretty much every other writer will do so as well, because, well, it's effective.

George has spent over 40 years as a professional writer. He has never, ever indulged in cryptograms or other hidden codes. There is no one reason to believe he has done so now.

I'm quite familiar with this sort of thing, having done much the same, years ago, in defense of GUCT -- it became ever more elaborate as holes were poked into it. And it was ultimately pretty futile.

You know I would like to ask you a few questions, if that is ok. But first it is not an anomaly, the pattern repeats way to much for to be an anomaly. An anomaly would be out of order, in the books this is a regular occurrence, and a device he uses often.

Now you point out Martin is a professional writer of over 40 years. And I know we both a agree he is an excellent writer. If I had to speculate I would say he also has a genius IQ, you know him and I am sure this is true. He also went to one of the best schools in the country NW. My parents met in evanston, my dad went there, I am very familiar with the school, my dad is also a journalist. Well he was, anyway, let me get to the questions.

If Martin is as good a writer as you believe and I believe. Why all the mistakes around and within the code? The code itself is horrible grammar. It's failing out of Junior College bad. Why do you think he does that? If I may, some examples.

"Stranger. Danger. Death." Why did he use three periods when a comma makes so much more sense? It's three fragments. Pretty sure Martin knows this and I am pretty sure the editors know this.

"Corn? Corn? Corn?" Why the question marks? Now this is a bird talking so I can forgive the fragments, but who knows the bird is asking a question? Just Martin and the readers. Birds don't ask questions at least not with this word. So why not just say the word 3 times using commas which works better and makes sense. Commas still allows the pause. The bird didn't say, who, or what. It said corn in his standard 3 pattern, but instead of Corn, corn, corn? He wrote Corn? Corn? Corn? It's not like he doesn't use commas with the bird, but he is creating a pattern here. A specific pattern just for that scene. Just like all the other patterns are for a specific scene and he adjust them ever so slightly for each scene. He has to do that so they make sense to him, not to you and not to me or anyone else, not to the characters in the book. Whenever the bird says corn the characters assume he wants corn, but he doesn't always use the question marks like he is asking for corn. He changes that punctuation all the time to fit the scene, to give it meaning. He could write it one way every single time, and you wouldn't question it, but that is not what he does. He changes it for the scenes, and the changes are very specific in there use.

"Dragonglass, they call it. Dragonglass. Dragon glass." 7 words, 3 periods and a comma. Really? Read that like your speaking and listen to how odd it sounds. 3 fragments. You don't need the first comma, the first and second periods should be commas oh and in the last count of three he suddenly forgot how to spell dragon glass. Why do you think he fractured the word? It still reads the same when you say it. I am sorry but it's beyond obvious. It's not even a death code, not by my standards, it's a near death code, it lacks the proper quotation marks for the set pattern, and the descriptive break is actually spoken. How did sam also die? When his dragonglass dagger broke. Oh wait dragon glass.

"All. She knelt to kiss his lips. "All, my love, my true love, my sweet love." I couldn't do it with my Ipad but the use of the word "my" is all in italics. But look at the sentence, it's all kinds of messed up. The first word is a fragment and should be a question mark. The second use of "all" should not have a comma and why is my in italics? It's not a true death code as the first word is "All and is only repeated twice. Again an almost death code. And who does she want, she want's "My"rcella who she says right after saying this.

You can literally watch the man make mistake after mistake on purpose so the code constantly fits his needs. A hack writer knows not do these things, this man is a genius and expert in the field. You think he doesn't know bad punctuation and fragmented setences? With Hodor and the raven who are limited to one word fine you can write odd, but when intelligent characters start speaking in there patterns, you need to ask yourself what the heck is going on he is to good of a writer for this, and the only way it happens this much is if he does it on purpose.

"Mhysa!" they called. "Mhysa! MHYSA!" Again he creates the pattern using poor punctuation. It should be "Mhysa, Mhysa, Mhysa!" The crowd called, you never usually want to interrupt verbal text with descriptive when you don't need to, and you don't here. But more than that it's a name, you don't need the interjection on all three words 2 commas and an exclamation mark give the exact same effect. Not to mention look at "the called." What's wrong with it? "They" should be capitalized, and it's a fragment as well because he seperated it from Mhysa, plus the all caps on the 3rd count with an exclamation mark. Wonder why he did that, why not on all three, the interjections all three of them create a ton of excitment. Oh wait who is mentioned grumbling right after this, Strong Belwas. Another almost death code but the last word in the third count is different from the other two.

Later right before the fighting and killing starts in the pits "Mhysa, Mhysa, Mhysa." the crowd was chanting. Well look at that he does know how to use commas and the descriptive text break came after the 3 words.

Or how about Hodor. It's a name yet he constantly uses it with lower cases in the same exact patterns. Martin forgot it was a name? Well at least one time in the sentence or twice or sometimes 3 times. You think he doesn't know it's a name? Of course he does, he uses bad punctuation with Hodor all the time for the exact same reasons as listed above.

"Hodor." Hodor sounded frightened. 'Hodor. Hodor." Aside from the fact that he does not need a period on the second Hodor, not much wrong here. But look around it, right above it in my book. "Other men. Armed." What do you think is wrong with that, you got a double fragment. You don't need the period, a comma will create the pause. So why did he do that? Why make "Armed" a singular word and not part of a sentence? A singular armed. One Armed. It's a name and to create the name he used bad punctuation. Other clues right next to it, lightning, spear, a man referred to as a giant clasping his hands, a murder hole and the baring of gates from Wildlings. Your going to tell me he is not leaving clues around these codes? He did that in 70-80 words in the scene which with the code is given.

"Ben Jen," the raven squawked, bobbing its head, bits of egg dribbling from it's beak. "Ben Jen. Ben Jen."

He broke the name up for a reason and why capitalize Jen? It's not a name here it's part of a name. The bird can say 'Father." He is not playing with the syllables. he doesn't need the period on the second "Ben Jen" either. He fractured it the same way he did "Dragon glass." And within the scene, half a page away they tell just what they mean to do about Benjen, them mean to find him "dead or alive."

I can go on all day, pointing these out, sure the pattern is not perfect, he tweaks it all the time, and every time he does it has a significant meaning. He tweaks it to fit the clues within a given scene, that's how he uses it. I don't know if it's a cipher, a word puzzle or a device he uses. I used cipher because the base of the pattern is the number 3. I don't know exactly what it is, I just know how he uses it. He consistently uses bad punctuation and grammar to create the patterns.

Martin is to good to consistently make this many mistakes, but the mistakes are in fact the key to it, that's how he creates it. Yes there is not a code for every single thing or person in the book, but there are a ton of them, and outside of a couple of anomalies this is what he does with it. The code is like 98 percent accurate or more. Or call it a device or pattern, or whatever fits you best. All you need to do is ask yourself why he makes so many mistakes to create it?

I would love to go over it with you but I am not going to twist your arm about it. I sent you one message about it and that's it, and that was weeks ago and I appreciated the help. I am not asking you to believe I am right, I am just asking for you and others to be open minded about it. I know it seems far fetched, but if you give it a real chance, you will see at the very least he is uses it for a special purpose. Try it, I mean really try it and not just one and then close the book. Look at what he is doing with it, it's a device. For us they are like puzzles, for him, he knows exactly what they do, but for us it's different. You will even see him tease with it, and even make these strange little almost jibes with it.

If you ever get the time, go over this with me, you will not be disappointed. You will even have a good time, it's actually fun lots of people have fun with it. I know it is hard to believe, but it works. I will point you at code, help with the key, no interpretation and see what you come up with.

Understanding the key and the fact that he tweaks the patterns for a given scene is all you need to know. Nobody this smart makes this many mistakes that have the same meaning unless it is on purpose. Give it a real chance.

I'm not really going to indulge what's starting to seem like a very unhealthy obsession. But I'll pick apart just one bit:

"All. She knelt to kiss his lips. "All, my love, my true love, my sweet love." I couldn't do it with my Ipad but the use of the word "my" is all in italics.

You've constructed this entire code theory based on the Kindle editions of the books, editions known to have all sorts of transcription errors... ?

Because the actual published text has this:

"All." She knelt to kiss his lips. "All, my love, my true love, my sweet love, and forever."

The reason for the italics is obvious here, as is the comma -- it's to indicate stress on the word, which is often how and why George uses punctuation, italics, all-caps -- to try and convey tone and rhythm and intonation of speech. As, you know, many authors do. I can read the above and it helps me get a sense of how Arianne is speaking.

Ok so doing some looking into "Duel!" "Arya," "Snow," 2 are from thrones and one is from Dance. I like to do cross comparisons to define the meaning. In each case one thing happened. The word from the code was in question in each scene. "duel?" "Arya?" "Snow?" But I found a fourth and fifth example that have shed light on the use. Which I will now show, and what will happen is the question mark will do the same thing each time, the last example not only locking it, down sustaining what I have always said, it questions the code as in death is in question.

"Arya, Arya, Arya." In the same scene "Arya?" This in Arya 1 in thrones. Arya with a question mark is used all of 3 times in Thrones.

"Duel! Duel! Duel!" right before this "duel?" Same scene again, Tryion at the wall in thrones. Duel with a question mark is used only one time in thrones.

"Snow, Snow, Snow." Same scene "Snow?" Jon in chapter 42 I think Dance. Snow with a question mark is used often in dance but only once within the scene. But people tend to ask Jon questions.

Now for the interesting one, the reason it is interesting is because the men are dead, or are they?

"Corn. Corn. Corn." Chap 33 Sam ASoS. The death code was given and the battle of Crasters. Mormont dies, Craster dies. Mormont gets his own very personal almost sweet code from Sam, "Mother have mercy. Mother have mercy. Mother have mercy." Then Sam closes his eyes.

But before that is said the raven says Corn? But if Mormont and all those men are dead how can his death be in question? Cause this is Crasters and we are told what is coming. They are coming, who are they? Crasters sons. The White Walkers. Were any of the bodies burned? Something tells me we will be seeing the boys from Crasters again.

They who have also been identified as Crasters sons have a code. They? said Sam, the raven cocked it's black head and echoed. "They. They. They." They is all in Italics. Note they has a question mark as well.

Let me show you some more examples of Martin breaking up codes so he doesn't have a death code, and how strange they look considering how he uses the pattern.

"Kettle!" they roared, as one. "Kettle, kettle, KETTLE!" None of the three in the code actually match. And not a page latter, "Kettle? Kettle? Kettle?" He could of done the first pattern nice and simple "Kettle!" they roared as one. "Kettle! Kettle! Kettle!" He uses this pattern, on a regular basis, yet he sure made sure he didn't use it here. Why do you think he didn't want the three pattern to match? If he uses a second lower case kettle it's whisper of danger, which is not what he wants. No this is a very specific breaking up of the pattern. He uses one of his regular patterns right after this, so why make this one different? Cause he can't have one of the other 3 codes here, he doesn't need them, he needs something else. A future near death code for a significant character, two exclamation marks in the event horizon pattern and this is only a near death. The Kettle is a clue. What two names are in the kettle?

I'm not really going to indulge what's starting to seem like a very unhealthy obsession. But I'll pick apart just one bit: You've constructed this entire code theory based on the Kindle editions of the books, editions known to have all sorts of transcription errors... ?Because the actual published text has this: The reason for the italics is obvious here, as is the comma -- it's to indicate stress on the word, which is often how and why George uses punctuation, italics, all-caps -- to try and convey tone and rhythm and intonation of speech. As, you know, many authors do. I can read the above and it helps me get a sense of how Arianne is speaking.

Umm I didn't put in forever, not really needed , but mostly because I forgot to. It's the exact same as yours on my ipad. I said the period on the first all should be a question mark. It's a fragment, what I am pointing out is he is breaking it away from his usual pattern. It's near death code because it only looks like a code at first glance, but the first word sets the pattern, the first word is "All." As for the italics, yes they can be used to show emphasis but italics are also an underlining tool in print. The commas alone are interjections and can create emphasis themselves, that's what an interjection does. it does it with the second all, what if it's underlining a very common method in print is to use italics to underline.

Obsession? Really? I didn't post on the code for almost 2 weeks. Yes I enjoy doing the codes, and yes I fun with them and like talking to people about it and I get question all the time about them. But think I am bothering the board, I will shut it down. Though you didn't really poke a hole in the patterns as the comma still does not change it from being a near death code.

However it's your site and I don't want to bother you or the board with it so if you want, go ahead and lock it. I enjoy the other topics on the board and post often on them. And thanks for your reply I know you are a busy guy, didn't know I was bothering you or the board. Nobody said I was, or pointed this out as I only discuss it here. Go ahead and do what you want with this. If it's still here tomorrow it's still here if not thanks for at least giving your attention, I know you don't do that often. I apologize for disturbing your site, I really didn't know. Given all the threads that go up, and it got a lot of views, version 8 got like 23,000 and a bunch of people said they joined just to say they liked it. Still love your site rite, no hard feelings.

Sorry had to edit out the typewriter part, italics are still an underlining tool in print and have been forever, but not on typewriters. Totally wrong, sorry it's been 30 years since I last used one, and yes I am old so expect a little slack with memory. I think the old apple 2c's had italics, don't remember. Them and the Commodore 64.

Umm I didn't put in forever, not really needed , but mostly because I forgot to. It's the exact same as yours on my ipad. I said the period on the first all should be a question mark. It's a fragment, what I am pointing out is he is breaking it away from his usual pattern. It's near death code because it only looks like a code at first glance, but the first word sets the pattern, the first word is "All." As for the italics, yes they can be used to show emphasis but italics are also an underlining tool in print. The commas alone are interjections and can create emphasis themselves, that's what an interjection does. it does it with the second all, what if it's underlining a very common method in print is to use italics to underline.

Obsession? Really? I didn't post on the code for almost 2 weeks. Yes I enjoy doing the codes, and yes I fun with them and like talking to people about it and I get question all the time about them. But think I am bothering the board, I will shut it down. Though you didn't really poke a hole in the patterns as the comma still does not change it from being a near death code.

However it's your site and I don't want to bother you or the board with it so if you want, go ahead and lock it. I enjoy the other topics on the board and post often on them. And thanks for your reply I know you are a busy guy, didn't know I was bothering you or the board. Nobody said I was, or pointed this out as I only discuss it here. Go ahead and do what you want with this. If it's still here tomorrow it's still here if not thanks for at least giving your attention, I know you don't do that often. I apologize for disturbing your site, I really didn't know. Given all the threads that go up, and it got a lot of views, version 8 got like 23,000 and a bunch of people said they joined just to say they liked it. Still love your site rite, no hard feelings.

I don't see that you're bothering the board. Just the owner apparently. I do hope you keep this up and keep contributing to it.

I'm not really going to indulge what's starting to seem like a very unhealthy obsession. But I'll pick apart just one bit:

You've constructed this entire code theory based on the Kindle editions of the books, editions known to have all sorts of transcription errors... ?

Because the actual published text has this:

The reason for the italics is obvious here, as is the comma -- it's to indicate stress on the word, which is often how and why George uses punctuation, italics, all-caps -- to try and convey tone and rhythm and intonation of speech. As, you know, many authors do. I can read the above and it helps me get a sense of how Arianne is speaking.

Aren't we all more than a tad obsessive on this website? It seems rather odd to call someone out on it given that we are obsessed fans. And I don't think anyone is in any position to say whether it is "unhealthy" unless they know said person in real life and it is getting in the way of real life.

Perhaps my supposition relating to duel? was a leap based on what we've known for some time. Without doubt, you've given me additional insight, so that when I re-read and stumble across these codes I won't be skimming over them considering them to be redundant musings. Thank you Ser for opening eyes that were previously closed

Hey nothing wrong with thinking about it, and totally get where you went with it. I went there as well and other places with it. I didn't come to these conclusions over night, and I can make mistakes and be wrong, never here me say that I don't or that I am always right. You should see how many mistakes I have made over the time of this. But I just keep cross comparing to get the answers.

Aren't we all more than a tad obsessive on this website? It seems rather odd to call someone out on it given that we are obsessed fans. And I don't think anyone is in any position to say whether it is "unhealthy" unless they know said person in real life and it is getting in the way of real life.

Haha, well yeah we do get obsessed, and I wouldn't be accurate in saying I am not a bit obsessed with the code. But it's not my life or the end all be all of my existence. However when he did say that I did think of the old Jeff Foxworthy skit you know your a redneck.

Except in this case it would be "you know your an obsessed ASOIAF when you see the word corn and think it is a code."

None of that changes that Martin took that pattern and deviated from a set 3 pattern he almost always uses by only using "All" twice. It's a minor change but given the amount of times he uses the set 3 pattern over and over, you got to wonder why the change? And nobody seems to want to take on the "dragon glass" code or many of the more obvious codes.

He has his opinion and I respect that and I have mine.

Just read a Jon chapter (The one where Jon sends Ser Alliser to a ranging trip), and it had two possible codes. First one was related to Ser Alliser and went "Die, the raven said (something like that) die, die, die". I can't remember all the different kinds of codes you've got but I assumed it was a near death experience coming for Ser Alliser. The other one was the same pattern (word, text, word, word, word) just with the word corn and had to do with Ghost.

Just read a Jon chapter (The one where Jon sends Ser Alliser to a ranging trip), and it had two possible codes. First one was related to Ser Alliser and went "Die, the raven said (something like that) die, die, die". I can't remember all the different kinds of codes you've got but I assumed it was a near death experience coming for Ser Alliser. The other one was the same pattern (word, text, word, word, word) just with the word corn and had to do with Ghost.

I know the scene but do you remember the chapter number. The first code is actually what I called whisper of danger, or stranger. The first word sets the pattern and that is the uppercase "Die." It's a future pattern, I would have to look at the other to actually know what it is. I'll go see if I can find it. Thanks for posting that.

Grammatically there's nothing wrong with any of the mistakes that you point out.

"Stranger. Danger. Death." Why did he use three periods when a comma makes so much more sense? It's three fragments. Pretty sure Martin knows this and I am pretty sure the editors know this.

He used three periods because that shows that there was a longer pause between the words, which gives the sentence more gravitas and suggests that it's spoken slowly. Considering that it's a warning of danger and death, it makes perfect sense that it would be said slowly and calmly, because it's important.

"Corn? Corn? Corn?" Why the question marks? Now this is a bird talking so I can forgive the fragments, but who knows the bird is asking a question? Just Martin and the readers. Birds don't ask questions at least not with this word. So why not just say the word 3 times using commas which works better and makes sense. Commas still allows the pause. The bird didn't say, who, or what. It said corn in his standard 3 pattern, but instead of Corn, corn, corn? He wrote Corn? Corn? Corn?

Because the "Corn, corn, corn?" that you suggest wouldn't make grammatical sense. GRRM uses question marks to tell us that the bird says "corn" in the tone of a question. Obviously a bird can't actually ask a question because it only imitates humans, but the question mark tells us the tone in which it's said.

"Dragonglass, they call it. Dragonglass. Dragon glass." 7 words, 3 periods and a comma. Really? Read that like your speaking and listen to how odd it sounds. 3 fragments. You don't need the first comma, the first and second periods should be commas oh and in the last count of three he suddenly forgot how to spell dragon glass. Why do you think he fractured the word? It still reads the same when you say it.

It doesn't read the same when you say it. The extra space between "dragon" and "glass" again gives it more gravitas and importance. It suggests that the person saying it is thinking about it as he speaks. And you can't keep saying that the periods should be commas. Periods suggest longer pauses, and that the speaker is talking at a slower pace. GRRM put that punctuation there for a reason - because it tells us how the phrase is spoken.

"Mhysa!" they called. "Mhysa! MHYSA!" Again he creates the pattern using poor punctuation. It should be "Mhysa, Mhysa, Mhysa!" The crowd called, you never usually want to interrupt verbal text with descriptive when you don't need to, and you don't here. But more than that it's a name, you don't need the interjection on all three words 2 commas and an exclamation mark give the exact same effect.

You can't say that it should be "Mhysa, Mhysa, Mhysa!" because that gives it a completely different meaning. The exclamation marks between the words clearly suggest that it's being shouted whereas yours suggests that it's just being spoken. The last "Myhsa!" is in capitals because it's being shouted louder than the others.

Later right before the fighting and killing starts in the pits "Mhysa, Mhysa, Mhysa." the crowd was chanting. Well look at that he does know how to use commas and the descriptive text break came after the 3 words.

He uses comma's this time because it's being chanted, not shouted. The comma's suggest that it's a flowing sentence, because a chant flows vocally. And text breaks can be used correctly before, during or after a quote. He could have rightly used any of the following:

-The crowd was chanting "Mhysa, Mhysa, Mhysa"

-"Mhysa, Mhysa, Mhysa," the crowd was chanting.

-"Mhysa," the crowd was chanting, "Mhysa, Mhysa."

All three are valid, and I don't see how you can use them as evidence of anything.

I'm sorry but GRRM's grammar is spot on in all the examples you've listed. In fact, in all the examples I've read of the possible "corn code," the words and punctuation are used in that manner because it's always the correct thing to do grammatically. I find some of what you've written very interesting, but you shouldn't use grammar or punctuation to support you're argument because you don't seem to understand a lot of it.

Grammatically there's nothing wrong with any of the mistakes that you point out.

He used three periods because that shows that there was a longer pause between the words, which gives the sentence more gravitas and suggests that it's spoken slowly. Considering that it's a warning of danger and death, it makes perfect sense that it would be said slowly and calmly, because it's important.

"Corn? Corn? Corn?" Why the question marks? Now this is a bird talking so I can forgive the fragments, but who knows the bird is asking a question? Just Martin and the readers. Birds don't ask questions at least not with this word. So why not just say the word 3 times using commas which works better and makes sense. Commas still allows the pause. The bird didn't say, who, or what. It said corn in his standard 3 pattern, but instead of Corn, corn, corn? He wrote Corn? Corn? Corn?

Because the "Corn, corn, corn?" that you suggest wouldn't make grammatical sense. GRRM uses question marks to tell us that the bird says "corn" in the tone of a question. Obviously a bird can't actually ask a question because it only imitates humans, but the question mark tells us the tone in which it's said.

"Dragonglass, they call it. Dragonglass. Dragon glass." 7 words, 3 periods and a comma. Really? Read that like your speaking and listen to how odd it sounds. 3 fragments. You don't need the first comma, the first and second periods should be commas oh and in the last count of three he suddenly forgot how to spell dragon glass. Why do you think he fractured the word? It still reads the same when you say it.

It doesn't read the same when you say it. The extra space between "dragon" and "glass" again gives it more gravitas and importance. It suggests that the person saying it is thinking about it as he speaks. And you can't keep saying that the periods should be commas. Periods suggest longer pauses, and that the speaker is talking at a slower pace. GRRM put that punctuation there for a reason - because it tells us how the phrase is spoken.

"Mhysa!" they called. "Mhysa! MHYSA!" Again he creates the pattern using poor punctuation. It should be "Mhysa, Mhysa, Mhysa!" The crowd called, you never usually want to interrupt verbal text with descriptive when you don't need to, and you don't here. But more than that it's a name, you don't need the interjection on all three words 2 commas and an exclamation mark give the exact same effect.

You can't say that it should be "Mhysa, Mhysa, Mhysa!" because that gives it a completely different meaning. The exclamation marks between the words clearly suggest that it's being shouted whereas yours suggests that it's just being spoken. The last "Myhsa!" is in capitals because it's being shouted louder than the others.

He uses comma's this time because it's being chanted, not shouted. The comma's suggest that it's a flowing sentence, because a chant flows vocally. And text breaks can be used correctly before, during or after a quote. He could have rightly used any of the following:

-The crowd was chanting "Mhysa, Mhysa, Mhysa"

-"Mhysa, Mhysa, Mhysa," the crowd was chanting.

-"Mhysa," the crowd was chanting, "Mhysa, Mhysa."

All three are valid, and I don't see how you can use them as evidence of anything.

I'm sorry but GRRM's grammar is spot on in all the examples you've listed. In fact, in all the examples I've read of the possible "corn code," the words and punctuation are used in that manner because it's always the correct thing to do grammatically. I find some of what you've written very interesting, but you shouldn't use grammar or punctuation to support you're argument because you don't seem to understand a lot of it.

Well first I said the question marks only apply to the reader. But that doesn't matter as much that he creates the three pattern with it. He can say it twice or 4 times, but he sticks with three there, and you can read it how you want. But he also uses the pattern I posted, so pick which one you think is wrong. Question marks replace periods to end sentences The words are grammatically connected he has no need for three question marks. It's not three different sentences it's one statement. The comma or better yet a dash would make more sense as it is one statement and not three different sentences.

"Stranger. Danger. Death." Yeah sure it can add gravitas but it's still fragmented and he still created the three pattern again. A period does not increase the length of a pause it ends a sentence. Can you point me at the sentence. The three words are grammatically linked so it should only have one period. It's not 3 different sentences, if he wants a pause and emphasis on each word he has italics and commas.

Dragonglass. How did I say it? There is no pause between dragon and glass, as no punctuation exists. Please explain Sams dagger breaking and the use of the 3 pattern again. The first dragonglass is used with a comma, not a period. A period does not extend the length of a pause, it ends a sentence. And a hyphen or dash would actually be used when separating the syllables or extending the length of the word. He does use a dash or hyphen in the three patterns.

The first dragonglass is an interjection and I have no problem with it, the second is a fractured sentence. The third is fracture that lacks a hyphen to separate the syllables. It's one statement and the statement is totally related to itself. It's one statement again not 3 unrelated statements. That's not three different sentences that are not grammatically related.

I give you Mhysa, he can use 3 interjections but he does not need the all caps. You would use italics to show the emphasis on the last word, but it already has 3 exclamation marks, which is a bit much to begin with. And again it is one statement, the Mhysa, Mhysa, Mhysa! Shows a build up of shouting as well, all caps is poor writing in any standard. They are all in italics to begin with. And we know they are shouting because we are told they are shouting. And Martin does in fact use this pattern in the same scene, and also this pattern "Mhysa! Mhysa! Mhysa! 3 varients in the same scene all supposedly having the same meaning, then why change them? All shouting, all screaming, 10,000 voices. He alters each one of them specifically in each given moment with a focus on a man and a child, Strong Belwas, and the bells in her hair. Your saying what I said was wrong yet Martin used what I said in the exact same scene. Each specifically tailored to each moment, each moment having a symbol pointed to by the author. It's the little girl shouting the first time, it's Strong Belwas grumbling the second time, and it's the bells ringing in her hair the third time. A given focus in each moment with each pattern and each pattern tailored to that.

A chant floats? Is that what it does? Mhysa, Mhysa, Mhysa, is a chant? You sure about that? Well lets look at the book and the scene shall we? "They stamped there feet and slapped there bellies and shouted, "Mhysa, Mhysa, Mhysa." until the whole pit seemed to tremble."

So you said my pattern was wrong but he used that pattern in the same scene, you said this one was a chant, but it wasn't they were shouting as Martin told you, they were just like he did the other times. The exact same thing slightly altered 4 times in two scenes. This is why I tell people to look at the use in the scene. It's people shouting. The punctuation altered every single time. No exclamation marks for the shouting, shouting so loud the stadium is trembling, commas, you see him use exclamation marks before it with a single use of the word in the scene, but when he did the three pattern he changed again. Which exactly what I said he does.

Archived