The Battle of Oldtown and its Participants

Dead Wolf

I don t think we will see Aegon at Oldtown, he will go to Dragonstone and will be engaged there. I think Danaerys will go to Dorne (see the thing about dragons in Dorne in the Ariane chapter WoW) with her freshly acquired Dornishmen) after returning to Mereen, befriending the Dornishmen after Quentyns death so that they will join her and going to Oldtown with her new army.

Why Oldtown for Danaerys?

I think Marwyn will join her and tell her about the book about dragons....a means finally tame and use her children! And a victory over the Ironmen could win her new supporters too. Another reason is that she would meet Samwell there who could tell her about the wall and the Others....after all I think her place will be in the North fighting the Others with her dragons...and who better to lead and guide her there but Sam.

Also Jorah has to meet Samwell to learn about the death wish of his father.

I think Danaerys will be the one to learn about the secrets of the Citadel, dragons, dragonglass candles....as she will be the one who will most urgently need that.

When does GRRM give characters what they most need. i can think of Sam and the dragonglass, but there was no way he knew that's what he needed for that moment, so yeah....

Theon Greyjoy needed to be cut down a few pegs. Or fingers.

Walder Frey needed some pie.

Jorah Mormont needed to be told to quit whining and to get kicked out of Dany's camp.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just mind find you get what you need. And it really sucks.

The Dragonglass candles don t belong to Samwell I think they will belong to Danaerys, but I think Samwell will help and councel her. As Master Aemon is not there anymore to councel her, Samwell will be his replacement instead.

I was refering to sam having the dragonglass to kill the other......

When does GRRM give characters what they most need. i can think of Sam and the dragonglass, but there was no way he knew that's what he needed for that moment, so yeah....

Tyron needed a champion at the Eyrie and got Bronn

Once again with the get-out-jail free card courtesy of Jaime / Varys

And finally at Meereen with Drogon appearing right before lions were about to be set on him and Penny

Jon Snow - cornered by wildings, Halfhand sacrifices himself

In Mance's tent ... Ordered to kill him or his life was forfeit ... Stannis army shows up

Dany about to drink poisoned wine ... Mormont stops her

With her Khalasar in the wasteland almost at its last legs ... Runs into an abandoned cuty

Arya needs to get out of Harrenhal .. Gets Jaqen

Later needs a protector (of sorts)... gets Sandor

Brienne needs a savior .. Gets Jaime

Faegon turning up at Oldtown is complete balony. Euron will take the city, destroy the Tyrells and take Highgarden. He'll then hold sway over all the lands close to the coast and the riverbanks. Faegon will then marry Arrianne to get the Dornish on his side so that he can fill the powervaccuum left behind by Garlans demise.

• 1 year later...

Leyton Hightower can raise "three times as many men as Lord Tyrell's other bannermen", "more if he sweeps the cobbles". It is unclear if this number includes the major houses sworn to the Hightowers: Cuy, Costane, Beesbury et cetera, who are major lords in their own right. Either way this estimate gives them 15-20,000 men, which makes it seem unlikely that the Ironborn could match them in the field, especially since they have no cavalry, inferior armour and poor discipline.

I also doubt that the Ironborn could outright destroy the Hightower fleet, it is implied that Longships aren't a match for war galleys and Humphrey Hightower is traveling to Lys to get a fleet from "his whore of a sister".

Unless Euron has some very impressive strategy to beat the Hightowers, I doubt he will take Oldtown.

Then again the series does some fond of having old, impregnable castles being taken: Winterfell and Storm's End(allegedly).

Archived