Domeric Bolton: The Black Sheep of The Boltons

Arthur Dayne's Honor

In the later novels we learn more and more about the Bolton family and machinations and we learn a little bit about Domeric Bolton, Roose's late true born son who was likely poisoned by Ramsay.

We are led to believe that he was very different from his father. Not cruel or brutal. But while thinking about him I came upon a conclusion which I don't think has been discussed on here. I'll pose the question to that I asked myself.

How much did Domeric know about his father and his "hobbies". I think he must have known about the flaying and his fathers enjoyment of cruelty. To me that raises his moral character into question. Was he truly a Black sheep or was he more like Roose than we are led to believe?

We know that he was fostered in the vale with the Redforts so he wasn't in the North for a while, but when he died he was much past the age for fostering and was likely home at the Dreadfort for a couple years. And being much older his father may have revealed this to him.

We know that he was fostered in the vale with the Redforts

Im beginning to think that this is rather significant. Also, doesnt like, everyone and their dead mum know that Ramsay killed him? Cuz if so, that could anger some Redforts....Just saiyan. Super saiyan.

It does seem like Domeric was the "good egg" of the Bolton squad. But how "good" we dont know. He may have been soft spoken like Roose though. Given his tenure in the Vale, it seems unlikely that Domeric knew all the dirt on his daddy, but im sure he knew something. I mean, your seat of power is called the Dreadfort. And theres the damned sigil and Roose's ruling philosophy: "A peaceful land, a quiet people..." So yeeeeahhh...Domeric most likely knew about Ramsay's bloodlust. Ramsay was the Cain to Domeric's Abel after all. I can just see a scene where Ramsay tells Domeric, "If youre so Bolton, eat this kitten. And that foetus. Come on, do it!"

` It seems to me that Roosolini sent him to the Vale so that Domeric would be...cultured. I'm sure Domeric knew about the history of House Bolton, but from what we've learned, he wasn't your typical Bolton. And Roose seemed happy about it. Domeric could have taken House Bolton to a level never before reached - in terms of affection. Instead, Roosolini has most likely triggered the end of a historic house.

It really seemed as if Roose was trying to keep Domeric as un-Bolton as he possibly could.

Honestly, I don't trust a thing Roose says. He's cunning and good at painting pictures with his speech/actions so as to go about unnoticed. I'm really not even sure Ramsay killed Domeric. Poison? It doesn't sound like it fits with Ramsay's character. For all we know Domeric was good lad and Roose wanted someone cruel (although quiet about it) to succeed him...perhaps out of a hatred for the Starks, or tradition, or whatever. Perhaps Domeric was too capitulating, or disagreed with Roose's ways...and Roose had him killed somehow. Wouldn't surprise me... but I'm sure Domeric wasn't a secret sadist or anything, or I'm sure stories would have slowly been leaked as he spent a good amount of time away from the Dreadfort.

Roose sounds as though he was very fond of Domeric.

Yar. He was also fond of Fat Walda.

If Barbrey Dustin can be believed, Roose has no feelings.

Roose's "fondnesses" seem to be closer to "Hey, im not going to flay you because you seem alright. Just dont get in my way or mess things up, you'll be fine."

Yar. He was also fond of Fat Walda.

Roose's "fondnesses" seem to be closer to "Hey, im not going to flay you because you seem alright. Just dont get in my way or mess things up, you'll be fine."

I remember thinking to myself while reading that scene where he tells Theon how endearing he finds her sounds during sex, 'The guy probably gets off on the idea of rape, and his fat little wife makes it that much easier for him than his past ones...' And well, he did rape Ramsay's mother...

The "fondnesses" you described above sounds merely like coexistence..but stripped of all emotion. I'm beginning to think Roose's real "fondnesses" are as poisoned as Euron's gifts.

I remember thinking to myself while reading that scene where he tells Theon how endearing he finds her sounds during sex, 'The guy probably gets off on the idea of rape, and his fat little wife makes it that much easier for him than his past ones...' .

Noise doesn't mean rape for Gods sake. It means she is such an extremely harmless tart-eating noisy-sexed plump young woman that even Roose finds her endearing. Anyone more complicated would bring out the sinister plotting side of him. They say opposites attract!

I see Roose as one of those sociopaths that are said to exist, functioning in real life. He may have been quite accepting of Dominic the way he was. In any case Dominic was pretty young and the issue of discussing the bizarre family traditions may not have arisen.

Noise doesn't mean rape for Gods sake. It means she is such an extremely harmless tart-eating noisy-sexed plump young woman that even Roose finds her endearing. Anyone more complicated would bring out the sinister plotting side of him. They say opposites attract!

I see Roose as one of those sociopaths that are said to exist, functioning in real life. He may have been quite accepting of Dominic the way he was. In any case Dominic was pretty young and the issue of discussing the bizarre family traditions may not have arisen.

roose would be a serial killer if he was real.

Being loud in bed =/= being raped, people.

Especially since we see Fat Walda absolutely revel in the fact shes Roose's wife. She wallows in it like a pig in mud. She LOVES the fact shes Lady Bolton. Her squeals in bed are that of adulation. Fat Walda gives no fucks. She's Dreadfort's HBIC. No rape is going on there. If anything, shes like "Gimme gimme my ROOOOOSE!"

it doesn't take much to be the 'good' Bolton. :rolleyes:

It does seem like Domeric was the "good egg" of the Bolton squad. But how "good" we dont know. He may have been soft spoken like Roose though. Given his tenure in the Vale, it seems unlikely that Domeric knew all the dirt on his daddy, but im sure he knew something. I mean, your seat of power is called the Dreadfort. And theres the damned sigil and Roose's ruling philosophy: "A peaceful land, a quiet people..." So yeeeeahhh...Domeric most likely knew about Ramsay's bloodlust. Ramsay was the Cain to Domeric's Abel after all. I can just see a scene where Ramsay tells Domeric, "If youre so Bolton, eat this kitten. And that foetus. Come on, do it!"

Archived