Board Issues 3

Datepalm

Answering back to Ran... Obviously due to my problem I can't quote. But your questions have made me realise what I think it is. I'm using Internet Explorer because I put a siteblock extension on chrome to stop myself procrastinating a few weeks back, and then immediately just used IE instead! It probably started around then, so I'm guessing that's the price for using a substandard browser? In other news, I have an essay I really should get back to doing!

Answering back to Ran... Obviously due to my problem I can't quote. But your questions have made me realise what I think it is. I'm using Internet Explorer because I put a siteblock extension on chrome to stop myself procrastinating a few weeks back, and then immediately just used IE instead! It probably started around then, so I'm guessing that's the price for using a substandard browser? In other news, I have an essay I really should get back to doing!

No worries - in the meantime, I could always just take the block off chrome! Thanks for your quick response however.

If you're using IE11 you could take a look at this, which seemed to work for a handful of people who were unable to quote using IE. Even if its an older version of IE, the same solution might work, though the procedure might be different.

Just got a rogue pop-up, haven't seen one of those for months.

Those are, unfortunately, almost all tied to advertisement banners; some advertisers will let something slip in that redirects or pops-up, and then the site owners have to filter them out.

If it happens, *definitely* try to take note of what ads are visible on the page at the time (or what the popup is for), and that'll probably help Ran figure out what advertiser to blacklist.

Also: since even Ran asked me this, I'll note here about the Heartbleed SSL issue out there in the wild, that's making all the news.

• We don't really use SSL for anything that I can think of; we're not really transmitting complex, sensitive data.
  • Even if we did, CentOS released an emergency patch yesterday, and I picked it up on all the Noderunner machines early today.
So! No worries on that one, at least.

I hope I didn't miss something, but the red flag system announcing new PMs seems to be broken. I've just found two days' old messages which I never knew about, there was never any indication. Sorry if this has been fixed meanwhile.

Two questions:

1. In A Forum of Ice and Fire > A Song of Ice and Fire: The Novels > A Feast for Crows, there's a thread titled: Is there any sympathy out there for Theon - started 16 Mar 2014. Shouldn't this thread be in Game of Thrones: The HBO Series, Season 3? Or in the A Dance with Dragons section (I have not read them yet). There are no chapters for Theon in the novel AFfC. In fact novel wise, we know very little about what is happening to Theon so technically this thread could be a book spoiler. It wasn't for me as I have watched Series 1 to 3 - just thinking of others - a very small group I'm guessing of people who've read the books but not seen the series.

2. Where, on this Forum, is the "Thank You" thread? (If there isn't one, can I please start one and where should I put it?)

By "thank you" I mean I wish to thank the creators, and maintenance crew for this brilliant website. The whole lot is fantactic - the series/characters lists, the forums which are very well governed and the Wiki - oh man! that's one of the best sections.

Thank you

P.S. Is there a problem with the website re copy and paste? When I posted my first post I was able to copy and paste from my word file but wasn't able to for this post.

So what does the error "Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1935 bytes) in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/classes/text/parser.php on line 1780" mean? I initially thought I was getting it for the length of a post but that's not true. I'm only getting it when I try to post one specific reply. Weird.

So what does the error "Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1935 bytes) in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/classes/text/parser.php on line 1780" mean? I initially thought I was getting it for the length of a post but that's not true. I'm only getting it when I try to post one specific reply. Weird.

Does it contain several quotes? I ran into that the other day. I just ended up differentiating the quotes from my own text by color.

Archived