Board Issues 3

Datepalm

Am having the password issues as well. I got logged out, and requested a password change (I never log out of this site so I always forget my password). But when I try to change my password to something other than the automated string of letters/numbers I get one of three error messages: My security key is incorrect, my current password is incorrect, or I need to complete the entire form.

On the link provided in the email to validate your password recovery, did you need to enter in your user ID and a validation key? The first link in the email takes you to a page where these options don't appear but the second link does. Perhaps that is the problem.

Am having the password issues as well. I got logged out, and requested a password change (I never log out of this site so I always forget my password). But when I try to change my password to something other than the automated string of letters/numbers I get one of three error messages: My security key is incorrect, my current password is incorrect, or I need to complete the entire form.

I got the security key and complete entire form messages as well. But I ignored those, and the password change had worked just fine.

My problem is also solved. It was essentially telling me that changing the password hadn't worked when actually it had. So I didn't know which password was actually correct.

This is the second time this has happened to me and I know it happenend at least once, before that. It's a known issue and it has never been dealt with. So, if you can't be bothered, why should I bother jumping through hoops to reset my password every time the board hiccups?

This is the second time this has happened to me and I know it happenend at least once, before that. It's a known issue and it has never been dealt with. So, if you can't be bothered, why should I bother jumping through hoops to reset my password every time the board hiccups?

Maybe you should jump through those hoops to re-set your password if you want to be able to post here?

Yes this has happened before. I am certain Ran and sparks are doing all they can to fix things so this can't happen again. I know from experiance trying to fix something that happen just once then maybe not again for several months is very hard. How do you tell if what you have done fixes it or if there is still the potenial for it to happen again? All you can do is make a change, and hope for the best.

I know whenever this happens it causes a major headache for Ran since a lot of people loose access to their accounts and need his personal help to get them back.

I personally am very greatful for all the hard work Ran, Sparks and the rest of he moderators put into this place. Sometimes things go wrong but thats life. things would go wrong a hell of a lot more without them.

Maybe you should jump through those hoops to re-set your password if you want to be able to post here?

Yes this has happened before. I am certain Ran and sparks are doing all they can to fix things so this can't happen again. I know from experiance trying to fix something that happen just once then maybe not again for several months is very hard. How do you tell if what you have done fixes it or if there is still the potenial for it to happen again? All you can do is make a change, and hope for the best.

I know whenever this happens it causes a major headache for Ran since a lot of people loose access to their accounts and need his personal help to get them back.

I personally am very greatful for all the hard work Ran, Sparks and the rest of he moderators put into this place. Sometimes things go wrong but thats life. things would go wrong a hell of a lot more without them.

Well said Pebbles! :) :thumbsup:

Well said Pebbles! :) :thumbsup:

Sorry folks, yes, trying to figure otu what has happened.

Presently the situation appears to be that all passwords have been essentially wiped. I do not know why or how this happens -- this is, I think, the third time this event has happened to the forum. IPB has no solution. We have no signs of any sort of hacking attempts.

Since we're dependent on IPB, well, there's really nothing we can do about it.

What I have done for now is set it so that people can set a new password for themselves rather than having a random password sent to them. I presume this will be based on having an up-to-date email address, where it will send you a link to click through to get the password change going.

If I can find anything that will somehow restore the old passwords, I'll make use of it. I'll contact iPB as well, but given the holiday I wouldn't expect any response prior to after the weekend.

Applause. =o)

I also had to reset my password, but that didn't hurt.

We'll be digging through logs, but being the holiday weekend, I don't think Sparks is around to help us go through them.

Has anyone reset the password where your option was to set your own password rather than receiving a random one? If so, did it work well? I figure that would be better than the random password method -- fewer hoops for people.

We'll be digging through logs, but being the holiday weekend, I don't think Sparks is around to help us go through them.

Has anyone reset the password where your option was to set your own password rather than receiving a random one? If so, did it work well? I figure that would be better than the random password method -- fewer hoops for people.

Yeah, that worked for me on the first try.

Yep, just did that via the computer and there was no problem.

Yes, it worked fine for me. Takes on the order of 1 minute total time.

I did it. It worked perfectly on the first try in about 2 minutes.

I went through the process - the email link worked just fine. After I entered the new password twice, i got a pass_no_match error. There was no option to try again, so I closed the tab, started over from the email link, and everything worked just fine. Everything seems to be hunky-dory. Much better than 7 months ago. Thanks.

Today my account was signed out when I loaded the ASOIAF page, so I logged in.

The site rejected my correct passname and password combination several times in two different browsers in several sessions.

I then clicked the "forgot/lost password" option, received the validation email, and reset my password.

This allowed me to access the board under my own account, problem solved.

NOTE: This is a recurring problem for me, and has been for me in the short time I have been a member of this board. I also note that it is a recurring problem for other users. I recommend that the site administrators apply the necessary patch to remedy this issue, as it detracts from the value of the forum.

Archived