Dunk the Talls descendants (All three of them)

Starkside of the Force

Dunk the Tall spent a great deal of his life in Dorne, looking for the puppeteer Tansielle too tall, who he saved from the Tagrayren Prince Aerion then fighting a trial of seven to defend her and himself, after she had fled.

I think Tansielle is Old Nan. The reasons I believe this are mostly unfounded, but there are still a few.

a.) We are never given Old Nans name. (Arya, when remembering Old Nan, gives a fake name as Nymeria (a dornish name) with old Nan for short, this could hint at a dornish connection to Old Nan.

b.) George said we would see Dunks descendants in Westeros, and Old Nan is never shown or told of as deceased. (She isnt his descendant, she would be his paramour, but related nonetheless)

c.) Tansielle would be around 100 as of now (Old Nan is too.)

d.) Tansielle and Dunk would have had a son, maybe with his own relations to prove this theory wrong, and Old Nan has no relations in Winterfell.

Except Hodor. A son (unlikely) Grandson (likely) Great Grandson as we are told (maybe?)

This brings me to the third relative, just like Hodor. Blessed with the great size that Dunk was, and as manly, and as great a brawler, found with his shield in her fathers armour.

Gregor Clegane

(Joke)

Brienne of Tarth.

Simple as that, she has Dunks qualities, and his faults. And his shield in her armoury, which amongst all the other shields, she notices.

And its ducking Brienne. Who dosent want Brienne to have historical context.

BONUS EDIT: Bran saw a vision of Old Nan and Duncan the Tall.

Brienne seems likely personality-wise and appearance-wise, but it does not make much logical sense. Dunk was of the Kingsguard, he couldn't marry, I don't think the lord of Tarth would be likely to marry his children to some knight's bastards.

Who said Marry? Maybe Dunk and Old Nan just met a few times and she got pregnant, maybe only once. Hodor and Brienne could be grandchildren or great grandchildren.

We are told of Knights of the White who kept mistresses, while their other brothers kept their secrets.

I think it was Lewyn Martell, by Barristan the Bold.

Brienne seems likely personality-wise and appearance-wise, but it does not make much logical sense. Dunk was of the Kingsguard, he couldn't marry, I don't think the lord of Tarth would be likely to marry his children to some knight's bastards.

But fathered children and Briene says she remembers the shield he uses in their armory as a child and George has confirmed the she is descendant from him

Brienne is the descendant of Duncan as GRRM told us. Old Nan's true name is a mystery but i dont buy it being Nymeria. She is most likely a wildling woman. Ygritte told Jon that they remember so many things are forgotten at the south of the wall. Old Nan's stories are unique and all of them are of the North. And the woman kissing Duncan in Bran's vision could be any. There are numereous Stark daughters, aunts and widows at that time. The upcoming D%E story is called The Sheowolves of Winterfell.

In short, your theory is most likely wrong.

Who said Marry? Maybe Dunk and Old Nan just met a few times and she got pregnant, maybe only once. Hodor and Brienne could be grandchildren or great grandchildren.

We are told of Knights of the White who kept mistresses, while their other brothers kept their secrets.

I think it was Lewyn Martell, by Barristan the Bold.

Nobody said marry, but without it any his children are bastards and I think it is unlikely that Lord Tarth would marry his children to a knight's bastard, a trueborn child would be different matter, but bastard of a landless knight seems way too low, I should have explained. Hodor makes perfect sense, I was talking about Brienne

But fathered children and Briene says she remembers the shield he uses in their armory as a child and George has confirmed the she is descendant from him

He did? Could you quote? I remember him confirming that there is (are?) descendant(s) of Dunk, but did he specify Brienne?

Is it so hard to believe that Lord Tarth either dosent know, or they just didnt marry and didnt mind bastards? :P

Brienne and her father are trueborn, so for Brienne to be Dunk's descendant her grandfather (or maybe grandmother, if Tarths were dead by male line) had to marry a Dunk's bastard. Not that it's not possible, but they seem to be high enough to be more picky, but of course, we don't know them, maybe the then lord Tarth was a democrat who didn't mind marrying his children to smallfolks

Nope. Reason number one: Old Nan isn't exactly "too tall", quite the opposite. Some of it may be due to age, but not all. Reason number two: Wrong faith. Reason number three: Very north-centric stories. Reason number four: physical distance to Dorne. Reason number five: Why would Tanselle stay in Winterfell, far away from any friends (and Dunk)? Reason number six: How would she get there in the first place?

Not a complete list.

Nobody said marry, but without it any his children are bastards and I think it is unlikely that Lord Tarth would marry his children to a knight's bastard, a trueborn child would be different matter, but bastard of a landless knight seems way too low, I should have explained. Hodor makes perfect sense, I was talking about Brienne

He did? Could you quote? I remember him confirming that there is (are?) descendant(s) of Dunk, but did he specify Brienne?

Lady Tarth wouldn't be the only (soon to be) married woman Dunk tumbled. It's implied that he had a one night stand with Lady Rohanne Webber shortly before she married.

Yes on the companion wiki page to this forum that has George's stamp of approval

sir Duncan was a knight of the kings guard also dear childhood friend and mentor to the king. Jon aryn procured a spot in riverrun for the son of his old war buddy its entirely within the real of possibility Aegon V would grant his bastards some form of legitimacy or even see that they recieved knighthood. Given Significant enough dowry (provided by the king) weve seen houses merge wealth with status befor marrying merchants. tarth is small isolated and of moderta eincome alal bear island. Not out of reach for someone of common birth with the right connections

Yes on the companion wiki page to this forum that has George's stamp of approval

That is not exactly true. Everybody can edt that wiki (and does). That Brienne is a descendant of Dunk is a widespread theory, but unless it is stated in the books or a SSM, it is not confirmed.

Ah I get your post on bastards now, because Brienne is trueborn - quite so. It dosent matter that Old Nan isnt tall, people shrink with age - and as for her getting to Winterfell, isnt it said that Neds father brought her on as a servant girl

Ned's father gave her a job, he didn't pay for traveling half a year at best. Furthermore, Ned's father was born around the time Old Nan was forty, give or take. And yes, people shrink with age, but not from exceptionally tall to exceptionally small. Tall to average or average to small is far more common.

Basically there are three arguments to be made for the Tanselle = Old Nan theory: Both are female, both are the same generation, and maybe, maybe there is a tiny chance that they had sex with the same guy. How many lovers does a popular, sexy and somewhat wealthy guy have in his live?

I would like to know why the OP assumes that Dunk had three descendants. I've seen some people claim that that's something George has said, but I've never seen anyone linking to an actual interview or report. I'm afraid that it's just a false rumour.

Regarding Old Nan, it's obvious that she isn't Tanselle. If Tanselle had been of age with Dunk (and I suspect he was a little older), he would be 109 in the series!

Archived