Dunk the Talls descendants (All three of them)

Starkside of the Force

As far as what you're doing, it amounts to more than standing on your mental toes. That narrow an interpretation is quite the stretch.

Once again: if you have to stand on your toes to be able to perform some activity, would you claim that you are the right height for it? Forgive me if I seriously doubt it, in my understanding, right height means being able to do the activity without any particular effort. If you wish to interpret it differently, your call. I'd just point out that it is not me who named Tanselle Too Tall.

I just skimmed through ASOS for a quick re-read and noticed that another character is referred too as being "thick as a castle wall." I think I remember Brienne and Dunk both being described this way at various points in the books. Just randomly during a Samwell chapter he talks about Pyp describing Grenn as "thick as a castle wall." I know it's heavy speculation on my part, but Grenn's a pretty big guy, and by Sam and Jon's descriptions, he's still getting bigger and taller.

He could be another one of the Dunk descendants GRRM has alluded to. It would be even more interesting since he's such good friends with Jon, just like Dunk was with Jon's possible ancestor Aegon V.

Small Paul is described as being "thick as a castle wall". When Dunk talks about looking for his father he mentions going up to the Wall and looking for the biggest man, Small Paul is frequently described as the biggest man at the Wall.

Archibald Yronwood also fits the large man seemingly slow of wit stereotype. He is bald as an "Egg". He is described as the true steel by Barristan, Dunk is also described this way.

Brienne is the descendant of Duncan as GRRM told us. Old Nan's true name is a mystery but i dont buy it being Nymeria. She is most likely a wildling woman. Ygritte told Jon that they remember so many things are forgotten at the south of the wall. Old Nan's stories are unique and all of them are of the North. And the woman kissing Duncan in Bran's vision could be any. There are numereous Stark daughters, aunts and widows at that time. The upcoming D%E story is called The Sheowolves of Winterfell.

In short, your theory is most likely wrong.

Anything is possible, of course, but I think GRRM gave us a nice hint as to who's smooching in the vision when he described the girl as being slender as a spear-a reference to Sunspear/Dorne. As to how she got to Winterfell with Dunk, I'm not nearly as clear. Still reading D & E but it doesn't sound like there's going to be anything there that would explain how they both came before the weirwood and so understandably, people assume it's Old Nan instead. The idea that Tanselle and Nan (or Nymeria, another Dornish reference) are one in the same is intriguing as well.

Could Arya relate so well to the warrior queen because Old Nan spoke of her namesake often? A wolf named Nymeria would be more poetic then, I guess. If Ned remembers Old Nan being old when he was a child, we are certainly not going to get any direct POV memoriss in ASOIAF, unless someone stumbles upon history..or a little Reed historian...or Old Nan herself. Where the hell did she go, anyway? And why does she think crows are liars?

In short, sort of, I think Old Nan is a bit of a mystery and we can be open to her being Nymeria reborn or a wildling wanderer. But I think Dunk was laying the love on a dornishman's daughter.

Anything is possible, of course, but I think GRRM gave us a nice hint as to who's smooching in the vision when he described the girl as being slender as a spear-a reference to Sunspear/Dorne. As to how she got to Winterfell with Dunk, I'm not nearly as clear. Still reading D & E but it doesn't sound like there's going to be anything there that would explain how they both came before the weirwood and so understandably, people assume it's Old Nan instead. The idea that Tanselle and Nan (or Nymeria, another Dornish reference) are one in the same is intriguing as well.

Could Arya relate so well to the warrior queen because Old Nan spoke of her namesake often? A wolf named Nymeria would be more poetic then, I guess. If Ned remembers Old Nan being old when he was a child, we are certainly not going to get any direct POV memoriss in ASOIAF, unless someone stumbles upon history..or a little Reed historian...or Old Nan herself. Where the hell did she go, anyway? And why does she think crows are liars?

In short, sort of, I think Old Nan is a bit of a mystery and we can be open to her being Nymeria reborn or a wildling wanderer. But I think Dunk was laying the love on a dornishman's daughter.

Tanselle:

The puppeteer who worked the dragon was good to watch too; a tall drink of water, with the olive skin and black hair of Dorne.

“Tanselle Too-Tall, the boys used to call me.” - “You’re not too tall,” Dunk blurted out. “You’re just right for. . .“ (The Hedge Knight)

Nan:

Then there came a brown-haired girl slender as a spear who stood on the tips of her toes to kiss the lips of a young knight as tall as Hodor. (ADWD)

Two different persons.

We may argue about the right height and what not but olive skin and black hair versus brown hair pretty much does it.

"a tall drink of water" makes Gerris Drinkwater another possibility

I don't know if it was suggested but I always thought Ser Tallad the Tall has some connection to Dunk

Small Paul, Grenn, Anders Yronwood, Hodor and even the Cleganes are possibilities... But the only one I'm completely sure of is Brienne (if she isn't, well then, that would just be stupid)

Edit: spelling

"a tall drink of water" makes Gerris Drinkwater another possibility

I don't know if it was suggested but I always thought Ser Tallad the Tall has some connection to Dunk

Small Paul, Grenn, Anders Yronwood, Hodor and even the Cleganes are possibilities... But the only one I'm completely sure of is Brienne (if she isn't, well then, that would just be stupid)

Edit: spelling

I get the feeling that Dunk got around quite a bit before entering the Kingsguard

• 7 months later...

Dunk the Tall spent a great deal of his life in Dorne, looking for the puppeteer Tansielle too tall, who he saved from the Tagrayren Prince Aerion then fighting a trial of seven to defend her and himself, after she had fled.

I think Tansielle is Old Nan. The reasons I believe this are mostly unfounded, but there are still a few.

a.) We are never given Old Nans name. (Arya, when remembering Old Nan, gives a fake name as Nymeria (a dornish name) with old Nan for short, this could hint at a dornish connection to Old Nan.

b.) George said we would see Dunks descendants in Westeros, and Old Nan is never shown or told of as deceased. (She isnt his descendant, she would be his paramour, but related nonetheless)

c.) Tansielle would be around 100 as of now (Old Nan is too.)

d.) Tansielle and Dunk would have had a son, maybe with his own relations to prove this theory wrong, and Old Nan has no relations in Winterfell.

Except Hodor. A son (unlikely) Grandson (likely) Great Grandson as we are told (maybe?)

This brings me to the third relative, just like Hodor. Blessed with the great size that Dunk was, and as manly, and as great a brawler, found with his shield in her fathers armour.

Gregor Clegane

(Joke)

Brienne of Tarth.

Simple as that, she has Dunks qualities, and his faults. And his shield in her armoury, which amongst all the other shields, she notices.

And its ducking Brienne. Who dosent want Brienne to have historical context.

BONUS EDIT: Bran saw a vision of Old Nan and Duncan the Tall.

I wonder if Tansielle has anything to do with Hoster Tully's last words, "Tansy". Hoster was quite old.

Also please take a gander at my theory which provides support for some of Dunk's descendants as well as one of his predecessors.

I wonder if Tansielle has anything to do with Hoster Tully's last words, "Tansy". Hoster was quite old.

Also please take a gander at my theory which provides support for some of Dunk's descendants as well as one of his predecessors.

Tansy tea is an abortificiant. Lysa.

By the way, Hoster was barely sixty when he died. That's not "quite old". Tanselle would be fifty years his senior.

Tansy tea is an abortificiant. Lysa.

By the way, Hoster was barely sixty when he died. That's not "quite old". Tanselle would be fifty years his senior.

Agree, however a man's last words should never be taken with a grain of salt in literature. This may be the author's reference or foreshadowing to something more significant within the storyline even if Hoster had no contact with Tansielle.

Anything is possible, of course, but I think GRRM gave us a nice hint as to who's smooching in the vision when he described the girl as being slender as a spear-a reference to Sunspear/Dorne.

Even for the standards of this forum's idea of "hint" and "evidence", this is extremely weak and contrived.

Only in this fandom would people seriously argue that a shorter/average height Northern woman with brown hair is the same person as a very tall Dornish woman with black hair and olive skin.

Tanselle is Tanselle. Old Nan is old Nan, and we may find out that Dunk met her when he visited Winterfell, in the next Dunk & Egg installment, "She-Wolves of Winterfell", and that she was the girl who was kissing him in Bran's vision.

Agree, however a man's last words should never be taken with a grain of salt in literature. This may be the author's reference or foreshadowing to something more significant within the storyline even if Hoster had no contact with Tansielle.

Yes, it was foreshadowing, in the third chapter of ASOS, to something more significant within the storyline - to the revelation that Lysa had been pregnant by LF and Hoster aborted her child by tricking her into drinking tansy tea, which was a major motivation and influence on Lysa's development and everything she did later, including killing Jon Arryn so she wouldn't have SR taken away from her, and setting the stage for the War of the Five Kings - which was all revealed in the next to last chapter of ASOS.

Yes, it was foreshadowing, in the third chapter of ASOS, to something more significant within the storyline - to the revelation that Lysa had been pregnant by LF and Hoster aborted her child by tricking her into drinking tansy tea, which was a major motivation and influence on Lysa's development and everything she did later, including killing Jon Arryn so she wouldn't have SR taken away from her, and setting the stage for the War of the Five Kings - which was all revealed in the next to last chapter of ASOIAF

I see, I understand being quick to dismiss ideas. I may have to do some exploration on the topic.

Archived