Costs and worth of various items

autumn12345

So I just wanted to know more about the costs of various items. For example: how much it would cost to hire a sellsword or how much a barge (60 tons ) of ore would be worth . I think it'd be nice to have this for reference. And I'm typing this on a phone so that is why it's like it is

Sallahdor Saan's Fleet costs roughly 30 000 Dragons a month, if I remember Clash of Kings correctly (Someone fact check?). Wylis Manderly was ransomed for 2000-3000 Dragons, and a suit of Armour costs around 3 Dragons,

Saan asks Davos to tell Stannis that come the "black of the moon" (end of the month), he will owe Saan another 30,000 dragons. It may be per month, or it may mean that the black of the moon is a deadline for another time period. The former is more likely, as by that point Saan has only been in sevice to Stannis for a few months, so "another" meas it is a payment that was already made, or should have been made. Stannis payed with his word, not with gold, at the start. If it is per month, a sellsail costs ~1,000 dragons per month, as Saan had 30 ships.

Saan asks Davos to tell Stannis that come the "black of the moon" (end of the month), he will owe Saan another 30,000 dragons. It may be per month, or it may mean that the black of the moon is a deadline for another time period. The former is more likely, as by that point Saan has only been in sevice to Stannis for a few months, so "another" meas it is a payment that was already made, or should have been made. Stannis payed with his word, not with gold, at the start. If it is per month, a sellsail costs ~1,000 dragons per month, as Saan had 30 ships.

Very interesting. So about 30 dragons per day.

I wonder what a sellsword costs per day. A Stag per man per day? That would be about 30 silver Stags per month per man. Can't quite recall the conversion rate of Stags to Dragons, but it was somewhere between 50 and 200 if I recall correctly.

I would be interested to see the consistency between the cost of a ship per day, to the cost of a sellsword per day, to the cost of a suit of armour, a sword, a horse, a meal and a cup of ale in an inn.

I kind of obsess about these things and expect them to have internal consistency.

In other words, if Lord Ryswell owns 10,000 horses, and a horse is worth 10 dragons, his horseherd is worth 100,000 gold dragons.

And if it costs 5,000 gold dragons to build a warship, then Manderly's fleet is worth 250,000 gold dragons.

And his fleet is then worth 2.5 times the value of lord Ryswell's herd of horses.

That kind of thing interests me.

Can't quite recall the conversion rate of Stags to Dragons, but it was somewhere between 50 and 200 if I recall correctly.

Wiki says 210 stags to the dragon, which IIRC is roughly equivalent to the pennies in the old English pound. (240d in a pound?)

The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England by Ian Mortimer has some interesting info on comparing modern currencies to medieval currencies that I think would apply here also. For instance, food was much more expensive and labor & land were far cheaper in medieval England than modern England.

IIRC, the editors of the RPG forced GRRM to come up with conversion rates between the different kinds of Westerosii coin against his will, since he preferred to leave it ambiguous as in the real medieval times (when such conversions were never fixed and varied across time and zone).

The same would be valid for cost of a sellsword per day. Each transaction would be negotiated sepparatedly: how reliable is the sellsword? is he well equiped? how much experience? is he going to fight in a hot zone, or just doing patrols in the rearguard? Has the hirer real chances to win, or is his cause lost? Are there other people hiring, or it's the only option... Such considerations are due to cause huge variations in the price.

Archived