Theon Kinslayer

He's called that by the Hooded Man in Occupied Winterfell, but the meaning isn't clear. Which of his kin did he kill? Bran and Rickon weren't his kin, nor were the Ironborn he talked into surrendering to Ramsay, and who were killed. He did lose one family member under suspicious circumstances, though. His father, Balon Greyjoy

The scenario is that Theon returns home and is greeted coldly or worse, by his father. He's next in line for the throne. Balon winds up dead. A suspicious mind might connect those dots and conclude that Theon was responsible for Balon's death. It's not necessary for it to be true for this to be the reason he's called Kinslayer, just for people to believe it.

I don't recall seeing this particular theory before. Even in a crackpot thread.

Yea, it's weird. He's called kinslayer by 3 people: first by the Hooded Man, then Rowan (one of the spearwives) and then Mors Umber.

I think news of Balon's death doesn't add up, though. I'd thought it was clear that Theon's already in the North when Balon dies (and then leaving the Iron Isles to reave the North would seem counter-intuitive, as one would think he'd stay there to pursue the crown). I'd thought everyone's suspicion was on Euron.

This is intriguing, but I think there might be a different reason for the kinslayer name.

I always kind of thought that even though Bran and Rickon aren't related to him, he was still raised with them and the Starks. So when he killed "Bran and Rickon" it was kind of like Kinslaying. Idk I never gave too much thought to it

I'm really not so certain that the accusation is just referring to the Starks. The Hooded Man doesn't seem to be referring to the Stark boys, and Rowan definitely isn't:

Hooded Man's accusation:

“Theon Turncloak. Theon Kinslayer.”

“I’m not. I never … I was ironborn.”

“False is all you were. How is it you still breathe?”

Rowan's accusation:

“Not us.” Rowan grabbed him by the throat and shoved him back against the barracks wall, her face an inch from his. “Say it again and I will rip your lying tongue out, kinslayer.” He smiled through his broken teeth.

“You won’t. You need my tongue to get you past the guards. You need my lies.” Rowan spat in his face. Then she let him go and wiped her gloved hands on her legs, as if just touching him had soiled her.

Theon knew he should not goad her. In her own way, this one was as dangerous as Skinner or Damon Dance-for-Me. But he was cold and tired, his head was pounding, he had not slept in days. “I have done terrible things … betrayed my own, turned my cloak, ordered the death of men who trusted me … but I am no kinslayer.”

“Stark’s boys were never brothers to you, aye. We know.”

Mors' words:

From WoW He'd wanted to rip it off Umber's face, to make certain that underneath was only an empty socket, not a black eye shining with malice. Instead he had whimpered through his broken teeth and said, "I am — " " — a turncloak and a kinslayer," Crowfood had finished. "You will hold that lying tongue, or lose it."

I think the accusers are referring to the Stark boys. Because he grew up with them, he's a sort of honorary kinslayer.

But, the Miller's Wife seems to have been more than a passing fancy for Theon. One of her boys could well have been his.

I'm really not so certain that the accusation is just referring to the Starks. The Hooded Man doesn't seem to be referring to the Stark boys, and Rowan definitely isn't:

Hooded Man's accusation:

“Theon Turncloak. Theon Kinslayer.”

“I’m not. I never … I was ironborn.”

“False is all you were. How is it you still breathe?”

Rowan's accusation:

“Not us.” Rowan grabbed him by the throat and shoved him back against the barracks wall, her face an inch from his. “Say it again and I will rip your lying tongue out, kinslayer.” He smiled through his broken teeth.

“You won’t. You need my tongue to get you past the guards. You need my lies.” Rowan spat in his face. Then she let him go and wiped her gloved hands on her legs, as if just touching him had soiled her.

Theon knew he should not goad her. In her own way, this one was as dangerous as Skinner or Damon Dance-for-Me. But he was cold and tired, his head was pounding, he had not slept in days. “I have done terrible things … betrayed my own, turned my cloak, ordered the death of men who trusted me … but I am no kinslayer.”

“Stark’s boys were never brothers to you, aye. We know.”

Mors' words:

From WoW He'd wanted to rip it off Umber's face, to make certain that underneath was only an empty socket, not a black eye shining with malice. Instead he had whimpered through his broken teeth and said, "I am — " " — a turncloak and a kinslayer," Crowfood had finished. "You will hold that lying tongue, or lose it."

I always chalked the kinslayer up to meaning the Starks. Yes the quote does say, "Starks boys were never brothers to you..." but I took that to be her saying, no sh*t Theon, clearly YOU didn't see them as brothers...!

I think the accusers are referring to the Stark boys. Because he grew up with them, he's a sort of honorary kinslayer.

But, the Miller's Wife seems to have been more than a passing fancy for Theon. One of her boys could well have been his.

That is an interesting interpretation.

I always kind of thought that even though Bran and Rickon aren't related to him, he was still raised with them and the Starks. So when he killed "Bran and Rickon" it was kind of like Kinslaying. Idk I never gave too much thought to it

I agree.

The Starks treated Theon like one of theor own and Robb was like a brother to him.

Apart from killing Bran and Rickon, Theon claiming Winterfell had a terrible effect on Robb's plans.

Theon indirectly caused the fall of House Stark, and perhaps he is referred to as kinslayer because of that as well.

Archived