Howland Reed

Hi, this is my first post and I'm not sure if this question is in the right part of the forum, or if this has been covered before,

I'm just a bit confused why Howland Reed doesn't join with Robb when he calls his banners.

I'm assuming he has some sort of army as the crannogmen and the Freys are said to be border enemies.

But it seems strange he doesn't join with Robb despite fighting with Ned during Roberts rebellion and also saving his life at the tower of joy.

I`m not sure Robb even sent word to Greywater Watch. Besides, didn`t a significant portion of his vassals not show or only show with a token force due to the speed required in assembling his forces?

I`m not sure if it`s mentioned in the books at all but I imagine Robb sent a messenger to Howland on their march sound, telling him to defend the Neck should anything happen.

Well, as Greywater Watch is always moving, it's almost impossible for a raven to reach it, so lot of time passed before the news reached Howland. Besides, the Neck is very far from Winterfell, and almost in the South. And Maester Luwin told Bran when he asked when Robb was leaving, that he had to march soon to the south and join the crannogmen in the road, who were before them. This means they planned to join Robb's host. In the book it doesn't say they actually did it, but it isn't written that they didn't either. I think that they stayed to protect the North (if a southern army was to attack, they had to cross the Neck).

When Robb Sark marched south, the crannogmen were left behind to protect his back. The other Lords did not raise the issue so we can assume that they were aware and approved of this arrangement. Me, I wonder how Roose Bolton got back to the north after the Red Wedding.

• 3 weeks later...

Some crannogmen did join Robb. Howland probably knew his men were probably better used to harry any enemies that tried to pass. They did attack the ironborn. Roose got back to the North after Theon(ReeK) negotiated the surrender of the few Ironborn still left. They were in pretty sorry shape from the "bog devils" attacking them.

Even then, Roose camouflaged himself as his army passed back through the neck. He had someone else dress in his armor and hid in a carriage house if I remember correctly. He still wasn't taking his chances with Howland's forces.

And GRRM wanted to have more northern army remnants ready to fight in the aftermath of the Battle of Ice.

• 2 months later...

I thought they were guarding the Neck? and althought Jojen saw Bran in his "green dreams", i thought Howland sent Meera nd Jojen to sweat fealty through blah blah blah "ice and fire" so they had to of gotten news of the war somehow...i could be totally wrong about Howland sending Meera and Jojen

• 1 year later...

Archived