R + L = J v 63

Stubby

What does everyone make of the Reed's perplexity that Bran had never heard the KotLT story? Why did they expect Ned to have told him? Family lore? A snapshot of his aunt's character? Or was it a clue to readers that Bran SHOULD have known about it, thus it bears a little closer scrutiny?

Does it follow, then, that bc the Reed's know about Lyanna & Harrenhal, they? know R+L=J

Yes, its clearly evidence that it was as much, if not more, a House Stark story, even with HR as the little crannogman. Everything in it strongly points to Lyanna as the KotLT.

But no, it does not follow that knowing about this means they know R+L=J. Though they may.

@ KG learning of the sack and knowing that Jon and not Viserys is their king:

Considering that Jon's birth is placed within one month after the sack, the only necessity here is that Jon has to be born before news of the Trident and the sack reach the KG at the ToJ.

So the only requirement for the KG to be in accordance with their main duty is that the news arrived after Jon was born, that could be from two weeks to a month, all plausible.

Not even that requirement. If the news came before Jon was born, then according to most european succession rules, there would be no king until Lyanna's child was born (assuming she was married to Rhaegar), and then the kingship would pass to Viserys if the baby was a girl, or the baby if it was a boy.

This happened twice historically, with both french and spanish crowns. In both cases there was a gap with no king while waiting for the pregnant wife of the previous king to give birth. Rhaegar was never king, but the same thing would follow as he is the heir.

Until Viserys actually becomes King, there is no imperative driving the KG to send at least one of their number to him. So it matter not at all whether Jon was born before they got the news or not, either way they would wait until the birth.

This is a really REALLY weird thread!

Broken Uncle Sailor Jerry square monkey seven Elvis purple cheese on fire.

Al Bundy could have Miley Cyrus for a Dwarf's Penny.

The coordinates are 40 Longitude 30 pagan saffron.

I repeat, the moon is an alien spaceship.

Hide your wallet in your butter tin.

& always have your towel handy! -Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

There has GOT to be an award for what you just did

:agree:

King Tyrion VIII in the ballroom ftw!

Howland Reed + unspecified other person(s) present at the Tower of Joy, and then there's of course Bloodraven who knows and Bran who has the potential to find out.

Some also entertain the notion that there's something of significance hidden in Lyanna's tomb, a Targaryen marriage cloak for example.

Random, but I wanted to share:

My girlfriend has seen all three seasons of the show, but only just started reading the books recently. It's kind of hard not to talk about things a little with her, but I've made a concerted effort to avoid anything that might lead us to R+L=J. Over the weekend, I noticed she was dog-earing certain pages and kept flipping back and forth. When I asked what she was doing, her response was, "I might be crazy, but I think Lyanna is Jon's mom." I was totally blown away that she could have figured that out before even finishing the book, but then she said, "But I hope not. There's already too much incest in this story." Yup, my girlfriend thinks N+L=J.

Random, but I wanted to share:

My girlfriend has seen all three seasons of the show, but only just started reading the books recently. It's kind of hard not to talk about things a little with her, but I've made a concerted effort to avoid anything that might lead us to R+L=J. Over the weekend, I noticed she was dog-earing certain pages and kept flipping back and forth. When I asked what she was doing, her response was, "I might be crazy, but I think Lyanna is Jon's mom." I was totally blown away that she could have figured that out before even finishing the book, but then she said, "But I hope not. There's already too much incest in this story." Yup, my girlfriend thinks N+L=J.

Lol, just remind her that where and why Lyanna was, or wait till she reads Ned's dream :-)

This has probably been answered before, many times, but if Lyanna and Rhaegar are no longer around, and with Ned being dead how will Jon, or anyone else ever find out that R + L = J is true?

Howland Reed, Wylla the wetnurse, Ashara Dayne (if she's alive), Bloodraven, whoever married them (if they were married by a septon), something in the tombs...

Archived