R + L = J v 63

Stubby

I had always thought, (and pure speculation only), that she was in the earliest stages of pregnancy at Harrenhal. It was said that Rhaegar saw a comet over KL the night Aegon was conceived, so they were home.

I had supposed Elia being pregnant at the time was the one thing that kept Rhaegar from perhaps acting on his emotions at Harrenhal, and it wasn't until he was told by the Maesters that Elia "would bear no more children," that he acted, particularly as Lyannas marriage was probably not far behind Brandons.

But, I'm no expert on the timelines.

I had always thought, (and pure speculation only), that she was in the earliest stages of pregnancy at Harrenhal. It was said that Rhaegar saw a comet over KL the night Aegon was conceived, so they were home.

I had supposed Elia being pregnant at the time was the one thing that kept Rhaegar from perhaps acting on his emotions at Harrenhal, and it wasn't until he was told by the Maesters that Elia "would bear no more children," that he acted, particularly as Lyannas marriage was probably not far behind Brandons.

I am certainly no expert on timelines either but ever since I read the statement on the app that Aegon was born in the year before Robert's Rebellion this has been nagging at me. I've seen posters argue that Aegon was born in 282AL as if it was fact but I don't believe that it's wise to catagorically say Aegon was born in 282AL.

I don't believe that Elia was pregnant during the tourney but rather that Aegon was conceived shortly thereafter. Whether Elia was pregnant or not, that certainly didn't stop Rhaegar from crowning Lyanna QoLaB.

Elia being pregnant at Harrenhall (if she was) certainly didn't stop Rhaegar from acting on his emotions at Harrenhall. He still crowned Lyanna over his wife, to great shock for everyone present. Since his prophetic children were so important to him, I don't think he would have risked upsetting his pregnant wife when she was so sickly anyway. After all, he had his PWWP to consider.

She might have been pregnant but if she was, I don't think he knew. Besides, I think that if she was, his crowining Lyanna was not only humiliating socially but absolutely disgusting on private level.Totally inconsiderate for a 'fond husband'. I think he was better than this.

She might have been pregnant but if she was, I don't think he knew. Besides, I think that if she was, his crowining Lyanna was not only humiliating socially but absolutely disgusting on private level.Totally inconsiderate for a 'fond husband'. I think he was better than this.

Or perhaps just the way you perceive the social importance of the crowning is not entirely accurate?

Since by all reports he was better than that.

Elia being pregnant at Harrenhall (if she was) certainly didn't stop Rhaegar from acting on his emotions at Harrenhall. He still crowned Lyanna over his wife, to great shock for everyone present. Since his prophetic children were so important to him, I don't think he would have risked upsetting his pregnant wife when she was so sickly anyway. After all, he had his PWWP to consider.

I think he was, so the only thing that might make him dishonor his wife would be the most obvious thing I think- love. Rhaegar would not be a man who would frequent brothels, or have mistresses, because I think he fully intended to honor the wife he didn't love, but was fond of until his heart became at odds with his honor.

Had he not met Lyanna, all the Danys, or the Cerseis in the world would have turned his eye from honoring his wife, which I think is reflected in the irony of the statements from Viserys and Kevan, as well as Cersei herself who all swore that had Rhaegar married either one, he wouldn't have looked twice at the "wolf girl."

We also hear from Aemon, "love is the death of duty."

He may have been alluding to this very thing, or, maybe even his own brother and sons who all married for love.

Selmy spoke of these events and called them "poison."

It's an SSM.

Thank you. That's the reason I never found any proof in the books.

The problem with timelines here, at least for me, is: it is said the child was about a year, when he was killed, the rebellion lasted about a year (rebellion, I mean from the first and the last battles). Let's say the Sack was on 8-9(7-8) month after the beginning of the rebellion and the boy is a year, that means their are only 4-3 months for Rhaegar to witness the birth of Aegon in KL, go to the North (I presume Lyanna was there somewhere or travelling to her brother's wedding in Riverland), abduct her, to be absent for few month, then come back to the KL, before the Trident, not mentioning all the fuss about Brandon's travelling to the KL to fight Rhaegar, being captured and then Rickard's traveling and so on (I really do not know how long it would all take really).

So, my point is that: either we are told lies about why he abducted her or when, or there is a problem with the timeline.

What is striking and strange he is always described as dutiful, good and etc, a perfect almost,even by Ned (where he sort of compares him with Robert and his taste for brothels), and then he made an unspeakable and stupid thing like that.

I think he was, so the only thing that might make him dishonor his wife would be the most obvious thing I think- love. Rhaegar would not be a man who would frequent brothels, or have mistresses, because I think he fully intended to honor the wife he didn't love, but was fond of until his heart became at odds with his honor.

Had he not met Lyanna, all the Danys, or the Cerseis in the world would have turned his eye from honoring his wife, which I think is reflected in the irony of the statements from Viserys and Kevan, as well as Cersei herself who all swore that had Rhaegar married either one, he wouldn't have looked twice at the "wolf girl."

We also hear from Aemon, "love is the death of duty."

He may have been alluding to this very thing, or, maybe even his own brother and sons who all married for love.

Selmy spoke of these events and called them "poison."

I agree with you. I still think the things would go the same anyway (I mean him falling in love with Lyanna), no matter who would be his wife - Dany or Cersei, as long as it was just duty to him.

Marring for love or not, both can be poison, even politically: we have Robert and Cersei, Arryn and Lysa, Lysa and Petyr, even Marge and Joffrey and Sansa and Tyrion to prove that. None of this marriages was for love, but they all ended bad and caused politically unpleasant, even bloody, events.

Thank you. That's the reason I never found any proof in the books.

The problem with timelines here, at least for me, is: it is said the child was about a year, when he was killed, the rebellion lasted about a year (rebellion, I mean from the first and the last battles). Let's say the Sack was on 8-9(7-8) month after the beginning of the rebellion and the boy is a year, that means their are only 4-3 months for Rhaegar to witness the birth of Aegon in KL, go to the North (I presume Lyanna was there somewhere or travelling to her brother's wedding in Riverland), abduct her, to be absent for few month, then come back to the KL, before the Trident, not mentioning all the fuss about Brandon's travelling to the KL to fight Rhaegar, being captured and then Rickard's traveling and so on (I really do not know how long it would all take really).

So, my point is that: either we are told lies about why he abducted her or when, or there is a problem with the timeline.

What is striking and strange he is always described as dutiful, good and etc, a perfect almost,even by Ned (where he sort of compares him with Robert and his taste for brothels), and then he made an unspeakable and stupid thing like that.

The Sack is practically the end of the Rebellion. Not much time between the Sack, lifting the siege of Storms' End and ToJ events.

Archived