R + L = J v 63

Stubby

The app if full canon, as far as I'm aware.

That was my perception.

Martin is not shy about protecting his intellectual property. Whereas some Authors take a "meh," attitude towards fanfiction, Martin has spoken out most passionately, referring to his characters as his children, cautioning that it is not the best way to get "your feet wet" as a first-time writer, and I don't have the quote, but I do think he made reference about being protective of his ideas.

If there was anything in the app., I'm sure he would speak up, and one word from him would utterly discredit the information there. I've heard some claim there are things that are "wrong," in the app.

If it is at odds with certain actual text then that is a problem. If it's a mistake, I imagine it's easy to fix, but I think we have to be sure he's not using the app. as a vehicle to "correct" certain misconceptions held by fans.

Who was Jon Snow's mother by the way? Wasn't that some Dornish wet nurse Wylla? :P

Naw, it was the gal at the craps table on their last trip to Las Essos.

Ned won and Jon was the payout.

@MtnLion:

I found it!

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Month/1999/09

At the time of the Sack, Aegon Targaryen was, "Still a babe at the breast. A year old, give or take a turn or two."

Yes, I have been tempted, more than a time or two, to create a searchable database of SSMs. There is the SSM that confirms that the vision is of Elia, and thus Aegon, too.

Yes, I have been tempted, more than a time or two, to create a searchable database of SSMs. There is the SSM that confirms that the vision is of Elia, and thus Aegon, too.

I wish you would! I searched specifically for that one yesterday and couldn't find it, tho' I know it exists.

I wish you would! I searched specifically for that one yesterday and couldn't find it, tho' I know it exists.

I concur, I did exactly the same thing after someone in SQ asked for it. I knows Ive seen that somewhere.

Shall we make joint effort? Today, someone questioned the year gap between HH and the Rebellion and I told him that it was a SSM but didn't have the time to look for it. Having links to the basic events would be really useful, such questions keep resurfacing.

Correction: the comet was there when Aegon was conceived, not born. It really makes no sense for Rhaegar to become entangled with Lyanna while Elia was preggers with the supposed PTWP and it was not known yet that she wouldn't be able to bear any more children after that.

One curious thing: As I was checking through what Maester Aemon had to say in ADWD, I came over this:

Tell them. The prophecy . . . my brother’s dream . . . Lady Melisandre has misread the signs. Stannis . . . Stannis has some of the dragon blood in him, yes. His brothers did as well. Rhaelle, Egg’s little girl, she was how they came by it . . . their father’s mother . . . she used to call me Uncle Maester when she was a little girl. I remembered that, so I allowed myself to hope . . . perhaps I wanted to . . . we all deceive ourselves, when we want to believe. Melisandre most of all, I think. The sword is wrong, she has to know that . . . light without heat . . . an empty glamor . . . the sword is wrong, and the false light can only lead us deeper into darkness, Sam. Daenerys is our hope. Tell them that, at the Citadel. Make them listen. They must send her a maester. Daenerys must be counseled, taught, protected.

The first emphasis is mine, and the brother in reference is almost certainly Egg. I presume that the dream is one that, together with the Ghost of the High Heart's prophecy, compelled him to order the marriage of Aerys and Rhaella and perhaps led to the events of Summerhall. Previously, Aemon says that all his brother dreamt of dragons and it brought them death (that would be Daeron, Aerion and Egg).

Now, Aemon's emphasis on "protected" may simply be due to the fact that Dany is essential as PTWP but somehow, I wonder whether he might have had some specific danger on his mind.

sorry for interruption, but the brother Aemon refers to is not Egg, the other one, older, who had prophetic dreams, Daeron. He saw Dunk in his dreams and said that the big great black dragon will die because of him (Tournment in Ashford and sudden death of the Great Baelor Targaryan). Aemon was a year older than Aegon at that time.

The other cousin, a Blackfyre during the second rebellion, thought that he will be one bring a dragon from the egg, but in reality it was, as Bloodraven said, the other dragon - Egg becoming a metaphorical dragon, so from a dragon was indeed born from an egg. By the way, BR was the only one,who easily interpret that prophecy right.

Only one of Aemon's brothers had prophetic dreams, Daeron, whom Aemon served till his death. And he had a lot of dreams, probably, he had something about dragons in Summerhall or some other castle.

"Protected" is definitely great catch.

Only one of Aemon's brothers had prophetic dreams,

I probably didn't make it clear in the original post - except the quote I posted, there is aninstance when Aemon mentions all his brother dreaming of dragons, which I concluded as a hint to possible prophetic abilities on Egg's part, as well.

Shall we make joint effort? Today, someone questioned the year gap between HH and the Rebellion and I told him that it was a SSM but didn't have the time to look for it. Having links to the basic events would be really useful, such questions keep resurfacing.

Yes! It would be easily done if someone created a google spreadsheet. The creator would simply have to allow anyone interested in contributing to be an editor. (Similar to my GNC Locator, but I'm the only editor there.) I wouldn't mind contributing to that at all. Anyone interested PM me :)

I probably didn't make it clear in the original post - except the quote I posted, there is aninstance when Aemon mentions all his brother dreaming of dragons, which I concluded as a hint to possible prophetic abilities on Egg's part, as well.

For the record, I quoted the passage you are referring to on page 16:

You know, I always assumed that Aemon was referring to Daeron when he referenced his (singular) brother's dream in that Sam chapter. You've reminded me though, that in the previous chapter he said

All of the Targaryen brothers had the dreams, and Aemon attributes his brothers' deaths directly to them. Aerion should be obvious, and I'd guess in Aemon's mind Daeron's alcoholism was related to the dreams and led to his death. But according to this statement Aegon had them too, and it must have been his dreams that led to whatever happened at Summerhall.

Yes! It would be easily done if someone created a google spreadsheet. The creator would simply have to allow anyone interested in contributing to be an editor. (Similar to my GNC Locator, but I'm the only editor there.) I wouldn't mind contributing to that at all. Anyone interested PM me :)

As long as that someone is more PC savvy than me... :D

For the record, I quoted the passage you are referring to on page 16:

I saw you :-)

What? Looks like I got some major catching up to do lol. :read:

Someone has too much time on their hands right? :P

Martin is not shy about protecting his intellectual property. Whereas some Authors take a "meh," attitude towards fanfiction, Martin has spoken out most passionately, referring to his characters as his children, cautioning that it is not the best way to get "your feet wet" as a first-time writer, and I don't have the quote, but I do think he made reference about being protective of his ideas.

So I presume that never moving away from fanfic as a full-time hobby is OK with him? :P

I am glad to inform you that me and Dr. Pepper are already working on that, and that we have done a lot of job already... We will soon give you really outstanding and easily accessible SSM database...

I am glad to inform you that me and Dr. Pepper are already working on that, and that we have done a lot of job already... We will soon give you really outstanding and easily accessible SSM database...

That's wonderful!! Let me know if I can help in any way. The organizer in me loves spreadsheets :drool:

That's wonderful!! Let me know if I can help in any way. The organizer in me loves spreadsheets :drool:

IDK whether we will do a spreadsheet, I imagine Dr.P will want to do it, for she is in love with them, we talked of compiling them into a compendium and making a Google document or something similar... We would divide them into categories, where everyone could find what they want... And we gathered a lot of material... I think people will like it...

IDK whether we will do a spreadsheet, I imagine Dr.P will want to do it, for she is in love with them, we talked of compiling them into a compendium and making a Google document or something similar... We would divide them into categories, where everyone could find what they want... And we gathered a lot of material... I think people will like it...

The beauty of categories and spreadsheets is the sorting function. Imagine all SSMs that relate to RLJ in one handy group. *sigh*

I will love it :wub:

The beauty of categories and spreadsheets is the sorting function. Imagine all SSMs that relate to RLJ in one handy group. *sigh*

I will love it :wub:

Dear, this is going to be full ASOIAF compendium of SSMs... With many different categories, textually presented, organized, without repetition and publishing dates news, without TV-related questions (we may even done one compendium for that too)... Just data about ASOIAF, Dunk and Egg and related history, on one place, without going through the pages and pages of SSMs...

Archived