Well, I have just come across my least favourite POV ever.

That Demon Monkey

Both Damphair and Victarion are a new low in terms of POV...even Martin admitted it was hard to write for them.

At least Cersei's POV chapters had a certain sick fascination while reading them-it was like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

I like it. More depth for that part of Westeros and that society and the Greyjoy family. Religion is very big for all mediaval societies and the Iron Islands are more believable because of it.

My one quibble is that the Iron Islands are so small on the map and they're described as being rocky and somewhat barren and sparsely populated (though rich in metal mining) and the people scorning of trade and work in favor of raiding. It's hard to image they could muster the people and the resources and the supporting economy to conquer the as much of the North as they did, even if the North is empty, and then gather a fleet of a 1,000 ships to invade The Reach.

I do hope that at some point, the west coast of Westeros unites and annihilates the Greyjoys (except Asha) and all their barbaric ways.

I think Aeron's going to be important because he is going to be our only remaining window into the ironborn's doings once Victarion gets back, challenges Euron with whatever he managed to gain, and one survivor walks away from that fight.

Also, I think Aeron may even be genuinely convinced that trying to conquer and rule is wrong, that the rest of the world must be independent and prosperous to provide the ironborn with people to raid, because if they conquer and rule... then the Old Way dies because there is nothing left to raid. A bird does not foul its own nest.

The second Damphair chapter was indeed better, although I think it was mostly due to Asha being badass at her Queensmoot. They're a deathly serious bunch though, these Greyjoys. Not a shred of humour among them, save for Asha and perhaps Euron.

At first I disliked him because of how he trying to force his religion on other people and how he claims their God is the only one and true God (as well as their Storm God), and him and many others coming back did prove some things, however the Lord of Light has shown more proof to be real than the Seven and the Old Gods. I feel I know so little about the Old Gods. Now I dislike him even more, he's just someone that really annoys me and I don't look forward to his, of any other Greyjoy's, chapters.

• 4 weeks later...

Well , I was fascinated about Aeron's chapters , they were interesting , but Victarion's and Asha's are by far far more better. I really wished Euron had his own POV too , he is the real epic Greyjoy and a big deal , hehe , i like how both Victarion's and Aeron's chapters from some point concentrate around him!
My least favorite POV is Catelyn , Sansa and Daenerys...sometimes though , when Bran was dreaming i fell asleep on the book. For real. I saw in my dreams i was with Bran xD

• 3 weeks later...

Least favorites: Samwell and Brienne in AFFC.

Samwell? Really? I love his storyline.

With Brienne I understand and share the frustrations, but I think her later chapters are fantastic, from the quiet isle onward, and they redeem the duldrom of her first few for me.

Aeron.. meh.. I like Victarion's chapters well enough, but Aeron is definitely a boring fellow.

I don't know, I actually quite like Damphair's chapters. I find the information given about the Drowned God quite interesting, and it gives us an insight into how much of a dick Euron is. I still think that the Ironborn have too many POVs, and if we had to lose one, I'd rather it be Aeron or Theon (sometimes I feel physically ill reading his chapters).

However, I'd rather have more Damphair chapters than, say, Tyrion's in ADWD. His constant bleating about where whores go made me want to scream. Ditto for some of Brienne's chapters, and perhaps Cersei, though at least hers were never dull. Dany in ADWD sometimes irked me, loved Mel's chapter in ADWD though, gave me some much needed laughs.

I'm glad to see I wasn't alone in not having enjoyed the Iron Islands chapters. It's not that they were badly written or that the characters were boring but I just didn't find the characters engaging or the stories interesting.

Getting back to the original question, I didn't have a favourite chapter as such but the chapters I enjoyed most in AFFC, were the ones about Cersei and Jamie. I also liked the Dorne chapters and could see how they were more relevant to the overall story thus far.

Now a question to add to this thread: do you think viewers of the show will lose interest and tune out if D&D follow the format of the books closely in the next season and give a lot of screen time to the Iron Islands?

I'm glad to see I wasn't alone in not having enjoyed the Iron Islands chapters. It's not that they were badly written or that the characters were boring but I just didn't find the characters engaging or the stories interesting.

Getting back to the original question, I didn't have a favourite chapter as such but the chapters I enjoyed most in AFFC, were the ones about Cersei and Jamie. I also liked the Dorne chapters and could see how they were more relevant to the overall story thus far.

Now a question to add to this thread: do you think viewers of the show will lose interest and tune out if D&D follow the format of the books closely in the next season and give a lot of screen time to the Iron Islands?

Unfortunately, yes. I think the Dorne and Iron Islands plotlines are going to be seriously dumbed down for the next season.

Archived