Well, I have just come across my least favourite POV ever.

That Demon Monkey

Although the Ironborn are somewhat entertaining in their dumbness, I'm really sick of reading the chapters of Damphair and Victarion and I don't think, that I would like Euron any better. He is as mad, bloodthirsty and singleminded as his brothers - with a bigger ego. If Martin really wants to make the Ironborn more likeable he should give us The Reader as a POV character - that is a chapter, I would love to read (no pun intended). Asha's chapters were ok, though.

Although the Ironborn are somewhat entertaining in their dumbness, I'm really sick of reading the chapters of Damphair and Victarion and I don't think, that I would like Euron any better. He is as mad, bloodthirsty and singleminded as his brothers - with a bigger ego. If Martin really wants to make the Ironborn more likeable he should give us The Reader as a POV character - that is a chapter, I would love to read (no pun intended). Asha's chapters were ok, though.

LOL

I was just imagining it:

The Reader:

He read word by word wondering what it was he was reading. Then it struck him, what if HE was a SHE? Then She would be reading word for word wondering what she was reading. Confused, the Reader continued on through the chapter wishing it was a Hodor chapter instead. "At least I could skip it..." thought the Reader. Then suddenly, the Reader pressed on with the chapter, contemplating counting the pages left to go until the next chapter. "At least it's not a Brienne chapter..." the Reader thought to him/herself. Letters clashed in the classic dance of wordplay, and at times, punctuation played a role. No one was as dominant as the period, though. Everywhere the period placed itself, words would stop to a sudden halt as if they knew the end was definite.

"Hodor..." the Reader whispered out loud fantasizing about the gentle giant. It was all the Reader could do to trudge on.

LOL

I was just imagining it:

The Reader:

He read word by word wondering what it was he was reading. Then it struck him, what if HE was a SHE? Then She would be reading word for word wondering what she was reading. Confused, the Reader continued on through the chapter wishing it was a Hodor chapter instead. "At least I could skip it..." thought the Reader. Then suddenly, the Reader pressed on with the chapter, contemplating counting the pages left to go until the next chapter. "At least it's not a Brienne chapter..." the Reader thought to him/herself. Letters clashed in the classic dance of wordplay, and at times, punctuation played a role. No one was as dominant as the period, though. Everywhere the period placed itself, words would stop to a sudden halt as if they knew the end was definite.

"Hodor..." the Reader whispered out loud fantasizing about the gentle giant. It was all the Reader could do to trudge on.

:laugh: :laugh:

I guess, I should been a bit more specific :wideeyed:

The only chapters I wasn't a fan of were Brienne's, her story is not very interesting, since she is just traveling from inn to inn looking for Sansa.

That being said I find the Greyjoy chapters interesting. Damphair does seem a little nutty but it makes his character more fun that way. I hope they add Victorian to the show, would be cool to root for that guy.

The only chapters I wasn't a fan of were Brienne's, her story is not very interesting, since she is just traveling from inn to inn looking for Sansa.

That being said I find the Greyjoy chapters interesting. Damphair does seem a little nutty but it makes his character more fun that way. I hope they add Victorian to the show, would be cool to root for that guy.

If they cut Victarion from the show I'm done with it... I love the show, but the more they cut out and they more random shit they make up, the more worried I become. Martin seems to have a pretty solid idea of where the various plotlines are going, and I can easily see D & D carelessly screwing it up in the interest of streamlining the show for casual viewers.

One of my absolute favorite chapters in the books is the Victarion chapter where he lays waste to a bunch of people in that naval battle. Catching the sword and throwing the armored dude into the ocean was harsh, as were the descriptions of what happened to his wives. Cutting those elements from the show would be a huge mistake, but they've already cut Coldhands and possibly even Lady Stoneheart, so i wouldn't be too surprised.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know how someone could read the Victarion chapters and not think they were totally awesome, but thats just humble opinion

His dumbness is annoying.The battle is entertaining though.

Just like ....

fill in the blanks.

Dothraki?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I actually enjoy the Damphair chapters, but maybe that's because I read them at the beach after swimming in the ocean. Perhaps that made me appreciate his "communion with the sea" as I think of his religion. Also, despite how insanely religious he is, and how ridiculous the Drowned God religion is in general, I must say that willingly being drowned then resuscitated (hopefully) is one helluva way to prove your faith. So, no, I don't mind the Damphair chapters.

• 1 month later...

Damphair

What a utter annoyance. Is GRRM trying to convey what a brainwashed zealot he is, or is that accidental?

So much repetition and rhetoric.

Hate this guy.

To make a discussion, what is your least favourite chapter in the entire series so far?

C'mon... every universe needs its own version of Jim Jones (ok, so he drowns people instead of feeding them arsenic-laced kool-aid). I do agree that there was some Greyjoy overkill going on in this book, but that was mainly due to the Asha chapters, IMO.

Archived