Bran the Dragonrider theory

Drexyon7

"Fly, a voice whispered in the darkness, but Bran did not know how to fly, so all he could do was fall."

Flight and things associated with it have been a recurring theme in Bran's story line. Many attribute this to his greenseer abilities being awakened and i agree...to an extent. If Bran's flying only meant the awakening of his greenseer abilities then his story is pretty much over. With two books left and Martin hinting we may see the Land of always Winter, and the fact that there is one possibly two plausible characters who would be exploring this place leads me to believe that Bran will eventually leave the cave. How would he do that though? Dragons.

"Most of him has gone into the tree ... He has lived beyond his mortal span, and yet he lingers. For us, for you, for the realms of men. Only a little strength remains in his flesh. He has a thousand eyes and one, but there is much to watch. One day you will know."

The bolded part in particular gives me the idea that Bloodraven is not long for this world and needs an apprentice, someone to pass the greenseer torch to. The next bolded part implies that he is very knowledgeable and sees most things, possibly across Planetos. I conclude by combining the two bolded parts that Bloodraven is dying BUT he felt the birth of dragons and has decided to use them for HIS cause. This would explain his constant emphasis on flying towards Bran.

"He wanted to cry. Not cry. Fly. "I can't fly," Bran said. "I can't, I can't ..." How do you know? Have you ever tried? The voice was high and thin"

That night Bran prayed to his father's god for a dreamless sleep. If the god's hear, they mocked his hopes, for the nightmare they sent was worse than any wolf dream. "Fly or die!" cried the three-eyed crow as it pecked at him.

"I dreamed of a winged wolf bound to the earth with grey stone chains," he said. "It was a green dream, so I knew it was true. A crow was trying to peck through the chains, but the stone was too hard and his beak could only chip at them."

Now on to the dragons. We have really no textual evidence of dragon-taming and it's process and no precedent for skinchanging into a dragon so i will go forward on my theory on these two assumptions:

1. Dragons are beasts (magical beasts but still animals)

2. You do not need Targ blood to tame a dragon.

#1 I hope we can all agree on but i found something interesting that leads me to believe #2 and that is the actual descriptions of greensight and dragon dreams.

Dragon dreams affect those with the blood of the dragon, who are known to have premonition-like dream ability - they are no ordinary dreams.

Greensight is the ability to have prophetic dreams called "Green Dream".

One is only for those with the "blood of the dragon" and the other isn't which translates to me that they are exactly the same thing but Targs just wanted to call it something different.

Back to the beasties. "A greenseer can skinchange into any animal that walks or flies or swims" i'm paraphrasing but based on that principle if you are powerful enough you can in fact skinchange into a dragon.

Now for quite possibly the biggest Chekov's gun in the series. "while Bran sat strapped to her back in the oversize saddle the Imp had drawn up for him"

Hoped you guys enjoyed the read!

Either he flies through the eyes of a raven/crow/eagle/other bird, or a dragon as you say. Personally, I see him too linked to the North and the Old Ways to skinchange into a dragon. It would feel too 'alien' as in, just out of place. However, I felt he same way when Stannis reached the Wall, it just felt very very wrong as I read it, at first, and then I got used to it (but not completely).

I think that the flying-by-warging-a-flying-creature explanation has one major flaw:

“You will never walk again, Bran,” the pale lips promised, “but you will fly.”

I mean, warging allows Bran to walk just as well. Why would Bloodraven insist he will never walk, and say he will fly in the same sentence? The only sensible explanation is that Bran will literally fly, in his own body.

Would be awesome if true though I don't see it happening. I think when they say he will fly, they mean being able to see through the weirwoods and see everything from the past, present, and maybe even the future

I don't really see how this is flying. I honestly don't see the WeirNet becoming as hugely important as many believe. He can't interact with the people he sees so it's uses become more limited.

Archived