the implications of not sending Loras after Gregor

Tywin Lannister is not a fool. He would give strict orders that Loras is to be taken captive and not killed. A captive Loras is a boon for the Lannisters.

True, but in the heat of battle how much do you count on Gregor Clegane's wise treatment of potentially valuable prisoners? Even if Gregor is attentive, that's no guarnatee of Loras's safety.

No there's no way the Tyrells would side with Stannis. Stannis hasn't forgiven the Tyrells for the siege of Storm's End and many in the 7 Kingdoms believe that Stannis wants Mace's head on a spike. Mace believes it too otherwise he wouldn't ally with the Lannisters.

Stannis was pissed at all of the other lords who switched from Renly to his side too but he took them because he needed them. I'm not saying that Tyrell would side with Stannis. I'm saying that if the Lannisters had killed Loras it would be more likely that the Tyrells would go over to Stannis rather than go over to Joffrey.

Ned was no fool, he knew that sending Mace's son to get cut nearly in half would only hurt his relationship with the Tyrells. He certainly could have handled it better though. Politically I think it was his only move, he couldn't possibly send Loras after Gregor knowing that there was a great chance that he would never return.

True, but in the heat of battle how much do you count on Gregor Clegane's wise treatment of potentially valuable prisoners? Even if Gregor is attentive, that's no guarnatee of Loras's safety.

Stannis was pissed at all of the other lords who switched from Renly to his side too but he took them because he needed them. I'm not saying that Tyrell would side with Stannis. I'm saying that if the Lannisters had killed Loras it would be more likely that the Tyrells would go over to Stannis rather than go over to Joffrey.

They would probably stay out of all conflicts.

The sight of Loras might've enraged Gregor into a folly, which either robs the Lannisters of their biggest mad dog, or gets the favored son of Highgarden killed.

Either way, the implications are poor for the Lannister cause.

I completely understand why Eddard didn't do it, but i think it would've helped his son if he did.

And to whoever said it before, the Reach touches the riverlands in the south.

The west is right above that connection, but it could be annexed via sword and fire.

Archived