Cersei's prophecy. Is there a quibble?

Mrs.Grumpy

As you know Cersei's prophecy says;

Aye. Queen you shall be... until there comes another, younger and more beautiful, to cast you down and take all that you hold dear.

Cersei assumes that there will be a queen who will take everything from her and thinks that queen is Margaery Tyrell. But as you can see there's no mention of a queen in the prophecy. It says another rather than an another queen.

Another means;

1-being one more or more of the same; further; additional

2-different; distinct; of a different period, place, or kind:

For those who think "wtf is a quibble?"
In terms of fiction, a quibble is a plot device, used to fulfill the exact verbal conditions of an agreement in order to avoid the intended meaning. Typically quibbles are used in legal bargains and, in fantasy, magically enforced ones.

So why does everyone assume that Sansa or Margaery or Dany will cast her down? It could be anyone who's more beautiful and younger than Cersei.

My guess is Loras :p

I find using Loras in this argument a bit problematic, to say at least...

Yes, others have noticed that it just says "another" and not "another queen." Whatever it means, I'm betting it's Sansa.

What to say, other than I agree...

Queen you shall be until there comes another.

That's the crucial part of the prophecy. Cersei will continue being the Queen until "another" comes and ends her reign as Queen Dowager. That means that this person has to end Robert's dynasty, because Cersei is queen due to marrying Robert.

I think it's Marg, for me the key line "take all you hold dear"

Marg has taken both her sons, her power, and her beauty.

Cersei losing power is her own doing. Her imprisonment by the HS and the WoS is as a result of her own actions. Her heavy drinking and subsequent weight gain is her own doing as well.

I think it's Marg, for me the key line "take all you hold dear"

Marg has taken both her sons, her power, and her beauty.

How has Margaery taken Tommen? How has she taken Cersei's power? How has she taken Cersei's beauty?

But most importantly... did she take all the other things that Cersei held dear? Joanna? Tywin? Jaime? No. Therefore we can assume that "all you hold dear" only refers to what Cersei holds dear in the moment that "another" casts her down.

So why does everyone assume that Sansa or Margaery or Dany will cast her down? It could be anyone who's more beautiful and younger than Cersei.

My guess is Loras :P

and what is beauty? It's subjective. It has to be beauty through someones eyes. If Jaime is at the centre of this, and he chooses Brienne over Cersei - leading to his sisters demise, the 'more beautiful' in the prophesy could be Brienne. And IIRC Jaime has already thought about her beautiful eyes. Would be a good one, as who would think Brienne was more beautiful than Cersei (other than perhaps Jaime, who's slowly seeing her that way)?

Archived