Modern Masculinity

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. Are you looking for tips?

Eat with your mouth open.

Poo with the bathroom door open.

Walk with your flies open.

Sit with your legs open.

Open any jar that isn't already open.

You're welcome.

Hmm...I never knew my wife was so manly (actually she only does number 2).

Hmm...I never knew my wife was so manly (actually she only does number 2).

She's never peed? In her life? I don't know if that counts as manly, womanly or camel-like, but that's impressive.

More likely, she's a bird. Birds do not urinate. They eliminate ammonia waste as part of the feces.

oh right, camels don't need to drink often, birds don't need to pee. got the bodily functions cross species.

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. Are you looking for tips?

Eat with your mouth open.

Poo with the bathroom door open.

Walk with your flies open.

Sit with your legs open.

Open any jar that isn't already open.

You're welcome.

You forgot one. Fart with impunity.

Apparently, it at least does not include making or eating macarons. I read in the newspaper today that these were the un-manliest of baked goods. So far, I am uncertain as to how this conclusion was reached and what made them less acceptably masculine than say, a cinnamon bun, but I thought I'd put it out there.

I guess because macarons are 1) French, 2) dainty and fussy--macarons take a lot of work and are quite tricky to make--and 3) come in cute pastel colours.

Simon Doonan in one of his more recent books wrote at length in a cute, tongue-in-cheek way about the difference between "gay food" and "straight food." He says this about "gay foods" in a recent Elle interview:

There's gay food and straight food. The gayest food, I think it's got to be macarons. Right? A little box of macarons in all pastels. I think if you lived on macarons you would just explode in a sort of nuclear cloud of gayness.

In his book (Simon Doonan is gay, by the way, lest you think this is some gay-bashing screed), he draws the following distinctions between "gay food" and "straight food" in a little essay about the word "gay" and its many meanings. He says "gay foods are fiddly and foofy," "brightly coloured," and have little or no protein, while straight foods are "basic and uncontrived," "dark of hue," and protein-rich.

Sushi is gay; Mexican food is macho. Italian main courses (pizzas and pastas) are straight; Italian desserts (gelato, those creamy multicoloured cakes) are gay. Beef wellington is the straightest of straight foods; macarons are the gayest of gay foods.

Hard to think of a manly dessert, though. Dessert's not a particularly manly thing. Ron Swanson, the amusing caricature of old-school masculinity and manliness (though in a funny, feminist-friendly way, not in a toxic, misogynist Don Draper way), loves food (steaks, bacon, bacon-wrapped shrimp, something called a Meat Tornado, etc.), but I don't recall that he loves dessert.

Do the men here find yourselves under a lot of pressure to be manly?

Even though as a woman, I feel immense pressure to be pretty and thin, I don't ever feel the need to prove my femininity. Nobody ever threatened to invoke my woman card because I'd rather watch a sci-fi or horror movie than a romance. Or because I don't like to cry in front of people. Maybe my big boobs grant me immunity?

I guess being a woman I don't get to decide, but IMO if you identify as a man, you are one. There are no personality traits, aesthetics or skills required to prove manliness.

(I can safely say that this morning he was wearing a pink and white flowery number and was none the worse for wear, btw. :P )

You say that now, but 20 years from now, when he is being chased by an angry hippopotamus, it'll be the difference between turning and fighting it off, and running. It is known.

Even though as a woman, I feel immense pressure to be pretty and thin, I don't ever feel the need to prove my femininity. Nobody ever threatened to invoke my woman card because I'd rather watch a sci-fi or horror movie than a romance. Or because I don't like to cry in front of people. Maybe my big boobs grant me immunity?

I guess being a woman I don't get to decide, but IMO if you identify as a man, you are one. There are no personality traits, aesthetics or skills required to prove manliness.

I suspect the main people who judge the masculinity of men are other men, similar to the way that generally it's women enforcing the gender norms for women. :dunno:

Hard to think of a manly dessert, though. Dessert's not a particularly manly thing. Ron Swanson, the amusing caricature of old-school masculinity and manliness (though in a funny, feminist-friendly way, not in a toxic, misogynist Don Draper way), loves food (steaks, bacon, bacon-wrapped shrimp, something called a Meat Tornado, etc.), but I don't recall that he loves dessert.

traditional British cooking for the win (has that ever been said before?) Spotted dick, bread and butter pudding, sticky toffee pudding etc etc, stodgy, mostly suet based, far from 'pretty', and stereotypically manly

I believe that on a personal level, these things can often be connected to confidence. Some behavioral patterns/opinions that might be traditionally feminine (being affectionate in public? liking a certain "chick flick"?*) won't make other men think less of you, if you have the confidence to pull it off.

* I don't know, I'm terrible at thinking of examples right now

I put pressure on myself to live up to my personal standards of what it means to be a man: keep my word, pay my bills, make my woman laugh, make my mom and grandmother proud, make sure my sisters are doing well, etc etc. If those things aren't happening, I'll get down on myself but if I'm not meeting up to the stereotypical ideal man, whatever that is, I'm not losing sleep. I only value the opinion of others to a certain extent.

I suspect the main people who judge the masculinity of men are other men, similar to the way that generally it's women enforcing the gender norms for women. :dunno:

Partly depends on the society I guess, but going back to my experience everyone played.You'd get it from women and men.

Not like I did when I was younger, but then, I've probably internalized most of it and don't really get any outside pressure because I'm not that far from the norm. Pressure from the inside? Not really,not that I can think of.

I put pressure on myself to live up to my personal standards of what it means to be a man: keep my word, pay my bills, make my woman laugh, make my mom and grandmother proud, make sure my sisters are doing well, etc etc. If those things aren't happening, I'll get down on myself but if I'm not meeting up to the stereotypical ideal man, whatever that is, I'm not losing sleep. I only value the opinion of others to a certain extent.

The problem with what you have to say is you equate it to 'man'. You are describing being a well adjusted, responsible and loving adult.

A penis is hardly required to do anything you mentioned.

The problem with what you have to say is you equate it to 'man'. You are describing being a well adjusted, responsible and loving adult.

A penis is hardly required to do anything you mentioned.

to be fair, I already said up thread that my idea of what it takes to be a man is what I feel it takes to be a woman as well.

Here is John Wayne's philosophy...

http://blogs.amctv.com/movie-blog/2010/07/john-wayne-quotes/

My favorite quote is this...

10. “I won’t be wronged. I won’t be insulted. I won’t be laid a hand on. I don’t do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” — The Shootist

I would also like to use this thread to point out one more time that John Wayne never manscaped...

She's never peed? In her life? I don't know if that counts as manly, womanly or camel-like, but that's impressive.

Damn, thought you guys would jump on the #2 pun since #2 was pooing with the door open, not go where you did.

Damn, thought you guys would jump on the #2 pun since #2 was pooing with the door open, not go where you did.

I feel your pain, in a manly way, since so few jump on my puns either.

Archived