MLB 13 V- Playoffs arrrrrrrr here

Kat

I'm torn, but tonight will decide much for me. If St. Louis can survive, I'll be forced to root for Boston in the interim because I want to beat them the most. Revenge for 2004 and for the insufferableness of their fan base since then.

If St. Louis goes down tonight, I'm basically just rooting against Boston and Detroit in the AL and would be rooting for Los Doyers overall while not really minding if Pittsburgh wins. So my relationship w/ Boston hinges heavily on the Cards tonight.

Heh, I think I know what matchup MLB and the networks do not want: a rematch of St. Louis and Detroit.

Um, go Sox?

We (we being Sox fans, I'm not "we-ing" the team like) are playing with house money this year. After the beer and chicken collapse and the farce of Bobby Valentine, and the hideous ham-handedness of the ownership group, I was ready to ignore the Sox for a while. But these guys have won me over. They're a lot more likable now, they cut loose bloated waste like Beckett and Crawford (I do wish A-Gon had worked out), and somehow John Lackey became the backbone of the pitching staff. I never could have predicted a turnaround like this. It makes me a little giddy.

Eh, well, go Cardinals and whoever's playing the Red Sox I guess. Frustrating to be reduced to rooting against teams again (I guess I could root for Oakland, but seriously, it's Oakland).

Eh, well, go Cardinals and whoever's playing the Red Sox I guess. Frustrating to be reduced to rooting against teams again (I guess I could root for Oakland, but seriously, it's Oakland).

Oakland is OK, and now that I live closer to it (stepping stone to Oakland, I guess) it makes me want them to win a little more. I used to go to both Giants and A's games as a kid back when the Coliseum was considered the nice park. :P My mom's from Oakland, dad is from SF and I was born and raised in SF, so while my main loyalty has always been with the Giants when push comes to shove (rivalry games, etc.) , A's are definitely a close second. Problem is, most A's fans I know are kind of obnoxious about the relationship with the Giants, so that puts me off a lot. I also think the A's should stay in Oakland, which is of course contentious. (But seriously. San Jose is not an interesting city, and Oakland is rapidly becoming hipsterfied-- they should have taken the opportunity to develop at Jack London Square while they could.)

San Jose is a bit soulless, no doubt, though I do really like the peninsula. On the flip side, I think I went to Oakland once in five years out there. But mostly, the team has the least objectionable stuff about it; they're not the Dodgers or Red Sox, and they are from the Bay and MC Lars is a fan. But I associate A's fans with Raiders fans, and the As and Blue Jays had a bit of a thing back in the late 80s/early 90s, so there are some cons there also.

If I was a Sox fan, I would see Bobby V / chicken and beer as the necessary trough before the purge.

Smaller markets and a rematch so no hype with Pittsburgh or Oakland being back for the first time in a long time. Boston v. Los Angeles is the ratings dream.

It's true, hitting bottom seemed to free them up to clear the decks, and I am kind of grateful to the Dodgers for agreeing to absorb something like half a billion dollars of horrible contracts. Kind of weird to have Magic Johnson to partially thank for the Red Sox renewal.

I'd really enjoy a Sox-Dodgers World Series. I grew up going to plenty of Dodger games as a kid, and I definitely remember the giddy excitement around Gibson and Hershiser in 1988.

Archived