Small Questions v 10016

Stubby

I think that the title of the book referred more the dance of the targaryens (dragons) than to actually dragons (Dany. Jon, Aegon).

In the 5th book, we not only have Dany (Barristan chapters, Quentyn chapters, a little bit of Tyrion chapters, Victarion chapters), but we also get Aegon (Tyrion, Jon Connington), Bloodraven (Bran) and, depending on whether or not the theory is correct, Jon Snow (Jon chapters, Sam chapters).

Out of these 4 dragons, all of them are involved in some sort of war. Dany is fighting a war in Meereen, trying to get peace there, Aegon is fighting to gain the Iron Throne, invading Westeros in the proces, Bloodraven is preparing Bran for what I can only assume is the upcomming battle against the Others, and Jon is struggeling with the wildlings, the treath of the Others, and of course his own men, who turn against him at the end.

So, instead of dragon fighting dragon (as what happend during the Dance of the Dragons with Rhaenyra and Aegon II, and their direct families), here we have other groups fighting against a dragon. They are either fighting Dany, Jon, Bloodraven, or Aegon, hence the title Dance with Dragons.

Referring to the Dance of the Dragons would be a bit strange, wouldn't it? The Dance of the Dragons is mentioned twice, once in a Tyrion chapter, once by Dany. Because the word with is specifically used in the title of the book, I think it refers to the four characters I mentioned above, and their personal struggles.

Besides, you could also add Maester Aemon as one of the dragons, since he is a Targaryen. He fights a war (sort of) with his old age and his bad health, trying to reach Dany in time. Maester Aemon is the first dragon out of 5 to lose the battle.

So when Maester Aemon said the sphinx is the riddle, is this a vision or is he being warged? How can he know about Sarella Sand being Alleras?

I think he meant the Sphinx as in the creature that tells a riddle. I don't think he knew that the acolytes called Alleras, the Sphinx. He was just sharing some wisdom with Sam. It seems as if it is for the reader to try and figure out that Alleras is Sarella. And Sam will probably figure it out in TWOW when he recalls Aemon saying it.

There are two places in the books where Aemon & Melisandre use the terms interchangably. Mel uses the PTWP in one of the Davos chapters, I believe in Storm. And of course Aemon is clearly consider the the two names simultaneously.

Yes, I remember now. Thank You. :)

So when Maester Aemon said the sphinx is the riddle, is this a vision or is he being warged? How can he know about Sarella Sand being Alleras?

I dont believe Aemon is referring to Alleras, simply because Sam asks himself the same thing when he first meets Alleras. I dont remember the exact wording, but Sam wonders if this could be the Sphinx, but he tells himself its most likely not Sarella.

Question about Dunk and Egg novellas...these are only graphic novels right? what I mean is they arent like the original books? just really confused about this.

I novellas are included in three separate compilations: Legends, Legends II, and Warriors.

Question about Dunk and Egg novellas...these are only graphic novels right? what I mean is they arent like the original books? just really confused about this.

Yeah to add - one day they will be collected and presented in print together - for now you have to either get the books LM said, or download the pdf's.

In the 5th book, we not only have Dany (Barristan chapters, Quentyn chapters, a little bit of Tyrion chapters, Victarion chapters), but we also get Aegon (Tyrion, Jon Connington), Bloodraven (Bran) and, depending on whether or not the theory is correct, Jon Snow (Jon chapters, Sam chapters).

Out of these 4 dragons, all of them are involved in some sort of war. Dany is fighting a war in Meereen, trying to get peace there, Aegon is fighting to gain the Iron Throne, invading Westeros in the proces, Bloodraven is preparing Bran for what I can only assume is the upcomming battle against the Others, and Jon is struggeling with the wildlings, the treath of the Others, and of course his own men, who turn against him at the end.

So, instead of dragon fighting dragon (as what happend during the Dance of the Dragons with Rhaenyra and Aegon II, and their direct families), here we have other groups fighting against a dragon. They are either fighting Dany, Jon, Bloodraven, or Aegon, hence the title Dance with Dragons.

Referring to the Dance of the Dragons would be a bit strange, wouldn't it? The Dance of the Dragons is mentioned twice, once in a Tyrion chapter, once by Dany. Because the word with is specifically used in the title of the book, I think it refers to the four characters I mentioned above, and their personal struggles.

Besides, you could also add Maester Aemon as one of the dragons, since he is a Targaryen. He fights a war (sort of) with his old age and his bad health, trying to reach Dany in time. Maester Aemon is the first dragon out of 5 to lose the battle.

Thank you, that was a very clear explanation. Much appreciated! :)

I think he meant the Sphinx as in the creature that tells a riddle. I don't think he knew that the acolytes called Alleras, the Sphinx. He was just sharing some wisdom with Sam. It seems as if it is for the reader to try and figure out that Alleras is Sarella. And Sam will probably figure it out in TWOW when he recalls Aemon saying it.

There's an earlier reference to dragons riddling sphinxes - when Tyrion talks to Ben Plumm about the dragons liking him proving he has some dragon blood. He suggests this is a true statement about dragons unlike some others

There's an earlier reference to dragons riddling sphinxes - when Tyrion talks to Ben Plumm about the dragons liking him proving he has some dragon blood. He suggests this is a true statement about dragons unlike some others

It may be true and if it is then there are a few things that could happen, I think.

1) If the dragons are fond of BBP because they could sense his tiny bit of dragon blood and they are also shown to like Tyrion (because I am 100% sure he will meet a dragon) then we will all assume that Tyrion is the son of Aerys II.

2) If the dragons like Jon Snow then it will just almost confirm R+L=J but will also lead to more forum (we're at 63) threads :P

3) But who knows if BBP was simply just trying to convince Dany of something false so she would like him a bit more.

1) If the dragons are fond of BBP because they could sense his tiny bit of dragon blood and they are also shown to like Tyrion (because I am 100% sure he will meet a dragon) then we will all assume that Tyrion is the son of Aerys II.

2) If the dragons like Jon Snow then it will just almost confirm R+L=J but will also lead to more forum (we're at 63) threads :P

3) But who knows if BBP was simply just trying to convince Dany of something false so she would like him a bit more.

It's worth noting, though, how dragons weren't friendly at all towards Quentyn, who has more dragon blood than Brown Ben. Or how, during Dance of Dragons, dragon devoured Rhaenyra Targaryen (obviously her blood didn't help her).

As was stated somewhere on this forum, dragons aren't paternity test.

It may be true and if it is then there are a few things that could happen, I think.

It's worth noting, though, how dragons weren't friendly at all towards Quentyn, who has more dragon blood than Brown Ben. Or how, during Dance of Dragons, dragon devoured Rhaenyra Targaryen (obviously her blood didn't help her).

As was stated somewhere on this forum, dragons aren't paternity test.

True, Quentyn had a reasonably recent Targaryen ancestor (the first Daenarys was born around 170/171 AL and Doran Martell was born in 248, so we can do a little bit of math here. Daenarys married Maron Martell in 197 AL. I estimate there are about 3 or 4 generations between the first Daenarys and Quentyn). But his blood didn't matter to the dragons, because they didn't know him, and thus, they killed him in a blind rage (probably from not understanding where Dany was).

I think it is more important if the dragons are used to you (they were used to Jorah, and never attacked him, even though he didn't have Targaryen blood), then whether or not you have Targaryen blood.

And yes, with Tyrion so close to Meereen, I'm guessing he's going to meet Dany and her dragons soon. Whether or not Dany will like him (he's a Lannister after all, and Dany hates Lannisters, that's a different matter.

Where can i read all the released chapters of WoW? Links would be appreciated

You can only read Arriane chapter here: http://www.georgerrmartin.com/excerpt-from-the-winds-of-winter/

Other spoiler chapters' summaries and discussion can be found here: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/forum/58-the-winds-of-winter/

I think it is more important if the dragons are used to you (they were used to Jorah, and never attacked him, even though he didn't have Targaryen blood), then whether or not you have Targaryen blood.

Amen to that.

Archived