Small Questions v 10016

Stubby

I think I read the theory somewhere on these forums that Drogon is connected to Drogo and Viserion to Rhaego, which kind of leaves MMD for Rhaegal...

Yeah I read that too and I thought that was a very good read.

Maybe the dragons are like the direwolves in a sense: they may sense when things around their companion humans are not okay. But we will need TWoW to know for certain.

Maybe the dragons are like the direwolves in a sense: they may sense when things around their companion humans are not okay. But we will need TWoW to know for certain.

I was on my way to write this too!

Which explains their burning of Quentyn, who meant ill-will towards them (being dragon-napped isn't nice) and Dany (he's taking her children). As a side note, perhaps this belongs in a separate thread? We seem to have waylaid small questions with a discussion on dragons

How do men of the Night's Watch pay for the whores at Mole's Town?

Or more importantly, is there some kind of pay system for the Night's Watch? It always sounded to me that the men just got what they got/needed and that was that. But then the above question?

What I was wondering...how do the Brothers pay the whores in Moletown? Since they're not using coin, do they pay in naturalia filched from Night Watch' stores?

I guess some women so far north would choose such a life (given that life is relatively harsher than farther south), even if they are not paid in coin...

A lot of the Mole's Town transactions are paid by barter, certaintly, but there is coin at the Wall... not much, though, especially these days... (see following answer). Some coin comes north with the highborn brothers... someone like Ser Waymar Royce undoubtedly arrived well heeled, and I imagine families send gifts and such as well... and there's trade that goes in and out of Eastwatch...

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Various_ASoIaF_Questions

My apologies if this has already been asked, but I really didn't want to skim through over 100 pages to see.

Does anyone have any clue who finished Barristan's pages in the White Book? It mentions how he was dismissed by Joff, but I can't see Selmy going and finishing his pages right after killing two gold cloaks. Any clue?

My apologies if this has already been asked, but I really didn't want to skim through over 100 pages to see.

Does anyone have any clue who finished Barristan's pages in the White Book? It mentions how he was dismissed by Joff, but I can't see Selmy going and finishing his pages right after killing two gold cloaks. Any clue?

Barristan himself. Jaime notes that Barristan's entry was written in two hands- the "large, forceful" one of Ser Gerold Hightower and Barristan's own "smaller and more elegant" one. He is

...amused, though unsurprised, to find that Ser Barristan had taken the time to record his own dismissal before leaving the castle.

Jaime says Barristan did it himself.

ETA: Whoops, guy above nicked it

Are there any ideas about who the Elder Brother on the Quiet Isle is? He's pretty generous with personal details, is he meant to be someone, do you think, or was his monologue akin to Ser Eustace Osgrey's & Dunk's discussion of the Blackfyre Rebellion (a discussion of the toll war has on the common man, that kind of thing)?

Are there any ideas about who the Elder Brother on the Quiet Isle is? He's pretty generous with personal details, is he meant to be someone, do you think, or was his monologue akin to Ser Eustace Osgrey's & Dunk's discussion of the Blackfyre Rebellion (a discussion of the toll war has on the common man, that kind of thing)?

I think he is exactly who he says he is.

I asked the same question quite recently. Someone had heard about a theory that he's of House Darry, but gave me no more information about or source.

But I'm not quite convinced of that, sounds more than he's of lesser house, son of a landed knight. ("My father served a lord, who served a lord, who...")

Also it may be possible he comes from a house not known to us, of course.

Its ok - I've been in way more ferocious arguments than this one. We're cool :)

Another problem I see was the fact that Targs weren't the only dragon-riding family of Old Valyria - they were just one out of many. Let's assume that all of dragon-riders had dragon's blood. Given that Valyrian Empire lasted for several millenia, I'd imagine that all of Essosi are somehow descended from at least one dragon-rider and thus have dragon's blood (recently I've read that all of the Europeans are descended from Charlemagne, and he was just one man who lived merely 1200 years ago). Instead of being valuable commodity, dragon's blood would become worthless simply because everyone has it.

I believe taming dragons has more to do with training and/or magic, but I'll guess we'll have to wait Winds of Winter to explain on the issue.

Definitely. I think it is discussed in one of the Damphair chapters, or Asha ones. They say the people of the Valyrian Empire used horns and magic to bend dragons to their will. I also have read something similar about Gengis Khan, where something like 9% of the men in Asia have him as an ancestor.

Possible but I think the direwolves are smarter just because they're a bit older and have seen more stuff than the dragons. I don't think anyone can skinchange into a dragon but I hope Bran tries :eek:

OK, in AGOT when Bob and Ned are chilling on the countryside and Bob tells Ned about Jaime being Warden of the East, Ned says that it shouldn't happen cause eventually Jaime will become Warden of the West as well. Are Warden titles inheritable if you're in the Kingsguard? Or is Ned assuming Tywin will figure out a way for Jaime to get out of his vows??

OK, in AGOT when Bob and Ned are chilling on the countryside and Bob tells Ned about Jaime being Warden of the East, Ned says that it shouldn't happen cause eventually Jaime will become Warden of the West as well. Are Warden titles inheritable if you're in the Kingsguard? Or is Ned assuming Tywin will figure out a way for Jaime to get out of his vows??

They also discuss Jaime being Hand of the King somewhere before that scene. A KG knight takes vows to give up all lands, but surely, if a King can name a KG knight as his Hand, surely he can name a KG knight as Warden of the East (or West, or South or North)

Upon joining the KG, KG knights are sworn for life and are forbidden from owning land, taking a wife, or fathering children.

So nothing about titles in there :)

1. All the Tywin heirs have the 'Ty-' prefix to their names - Tywin, Tybolt, Tytos and (Old) Tyrion. If Tywin wanted Jamie to be his heir, why did he not name him with a 'Ty-' to go with the family heritage? Did he have a prophecy that his second son (not necessarily dwarf son) be his true heir?

2. After the Battle of the Trident, Ned rushes to King's Landing not knowing Tywin's true intentions and hoping to cut him off. Once he sees Jamie on the Iron Throne, he knows it's over for all the Targaryen loyalists. Then why he does not rush to the Tower of Joy to free Lyanna, instead heading out to Storm's End to break the siege? The siege master there is actually Mace Tyrell and you don't need an expert to tell you that guy has won nothing (followed Tarly's van once) and would yield almost immediately when news reaches him of Aerys' death. Did Ned know that Lyanna was not harmed by Rhaegar?

1). Why are the oldest Kings of the North buried further down in Winterfell's crypts and the latest kings/lords near the surface? Don't they run out of space eventually?

2). Why is Jaime's horn named "Horn of Herrock" in AFFC? Is it different from other horns and what does the name mean?

Archived