Small Questions v 10016

Stubby

does anyone ever mention how like, the nights watch vow doesnt actually say you cant sleep with women. it just says you cant get married or have kids. but everyone just takes it as granted that youre not supposed to sleep with women at all. i gusse its like the spirit of the law or whatever but still why is no one ever like "uh actually its not against my vows to get some whores in molestown."

speaking of which how the fuck do they pay for whores. since when are brothers of the nights watch salaried like wtf

I think that in those days sleeping together always included the "danger" of getting kids. They didn't have proper prevention, save for nobles who had their own maesters. And even not the moon tea might not provide full security. So in a way the vow meant nothing else than full celibacy.

In A Storm of Swords, when Jaime leaves Harrenhal, does he already know that Roose and Tywin are working together? During the diner, thinks something like "I think I know which game we are playing now", but in none of his POVs does he say or think that he's certain Tywin and Roose are working for him. Of course, Roose is already plotting treason, because the reason he's giving for letting Jaime go ("Oh, my men cut off your hand, so now I'm going to send you along with guards and a maester, to KL. Please tell your father I didn't cut it off. See my letting you leave as an apology") is waaaaay too weak.

But if Jaime wasn't aware of Roose and Tywin plotting together at the time, why would Jaime say "Give my regards to Robb Stark"?

I believe Jaime already suspected that Roose was switching sides, but I was wondering how much he knew about the Red Wedding before it happens.

Anyone any idea's?

In A Storm of Swords, when Jaime leaves Harrenhal, does he already know that Roose and Tywin are working together? During the diner, thinks something like "I think I know which game we are playing now", but in none of his POVs does he say or think that he's certain Tywin and Roose are working for him. Of course, Roose is already plotting treason, because the reason he's giving for letting Jaime go ("Oh, my men cut off your hand, so now I'm going to send you along with guards and a maester, to KL. Please tell your father I didn't cut it off. See my letting you leave as an apology") is waaaaay too weak.

But if Jaime wasn't aware of Roose and Tywin plotting together at the time, why would Jaime say "Give my regards to Robb Stark"?

I believe Jaime already suspected that Roose was switching sides, but I was wondering how much he knew about the Red Wedding before it happens.

Anyone any idea's?

I think by that point he may have actually meant exactly what he said. He knew Robb defeated him flat out, he even notes it in the White Book which to me seems he at least thinks of Robb as a competent commander, but I'm sure there are darker theories out there.

Does anyone have a theory of how Arya becomes Arya again? Or will she remain a faceless?

I don't know of any theory per se, but as long as she has the warging connection to Nymeria, she can't forget her old self. Remember how she disregards all her belongings when Kindly Man instructs her to do so, but still doesn't disregard Needle, as it is the only memorial of her old self she has. And in her POV we know that she still hasn't forgotten about her list. Another thing, she will likely meet Jon before the end.

Different roads sometimes lead to the same castle, sister.

To the contrary, her becoming a FM completely forgetting her old self, I don't think is supported by enough textual evidence. The fact that she continues to have her wolf dreams, which are still strong even if she is a continent away is an indication enough that they're not going off anytime soon. :D

Was Whoresbane Umber the only northerner to ever try and become a maester?

That is very hard to comment upon as the Maesters tend to hide their past identities. As for the characters whom we know, I think he is the only one from the North to go to the Citadel to study, yes.

Was Tywin aware of the twincest?

Joanna knew but kept it from Tywin and then died shortly after birthing Tyrion. I think Tywin had to have known by the end though if nothing else maybe one of those, he knew but convinced himself that he didn't know situations. I haven't found anything textually to prove one way or the other.

Anyone any idea's?

Jaime knew that Roose was plamming betrayal but probably not the details. Brienne was as thick as a castle wall.

What % of healthy men goes to war when the lord protector of one of the regions calls his banners? Any guesstimations?

It depends on the lord. Roose Bolton, for example, took as little soldiers as he dared, while Rickard Karstark took too much - and there was not enough man left to bring the harvest.

Generally, though, I've seen some people estimating military potential of some region as 1% of total population. This would mean that e.g. Vale would have population of about 4-5 million people (as it can muster 40-50 thousand troops).

It this helps you, I remember reading that in Charlemagne's times (around 800 AD), every few families (sometimes 3, sometimes up to 8) were required to arm and send one man to king's summons. Since Westeros corresponds to Europe of approximately 14th century, I'm not sure how accurate this comparison is for our context.

Based on her comment about the firemage in Qarth, I would say she was in Qarth for at least 6 months.

yes, but she's prophetic, so i reckon she came because the dragons were hatched. Definately she was in quarth for a while though

where does it say that greenseers eventually need no trees to do greensight?

Bran's last chapter in ADwD:

Nor will your sight be limited to your godswood. The singers carved eyes into their heart trees to awaken them, and those are the first eyes a new greenseer learns to use … but in time you will see well beyond the trees themselves.

Archived