Small Questions v 10016

Stubby

Ice cream predates refrigeration. Ice would be shipped down from the arctic in bulk and used before it melted. This was an incredibly expensive exercise and I think It is used as an example of Pycelle's character and taste for the finer things in life which would have been typical for such a court hanger-on

Ice cream predates refrigeration. Ice would be shipped down from the arctic in bulk and used before it melted. This was an incredibly expensive exercise and I think It is used as an example of Pycelle's character and taste for the finer things in life which would have been typical for such a court hanger-on

So say a whaling boat lands at Kings Landing with ice and it's transported up to the Castle?

I'm not sure which map you are looking at but Braavos is the Northern-most of the Free Cities. It is located in Essos, almost directly opposite The Fingers.

Eta. :ninja: twice!

Is this really mentioned in the book? I can't really remember. Since it's said multiple times that people travelling from KL>Dorne go through braavos first, it doesn't seem very likely to be that high north right ? Imo it's rather retarded to go miles up northeast just to go directly southwest afterwards in order to reach Dorne. Unless the ships travel near the coastline of Essos in order to avoid Stannis ( in Mircella's case) Which again makes no sense to me since they will go near Dragonstone anyway while leaving Blackwatter bay.

About Bran's first visions, in the chapter in aGoT when he wakes up

I see on the page about Dreams and Prophecies in the wiki that "This shows Eddard distraught over King Robert's decision to send an assassin after Daenerys Targaryen." But this scene will happen in King's Landing, not at the Trident. Sansa and Arya are reacting to the deaths of Lady and Micah, that happened in the chapter just before this one in the right area, so Bran sees here the present. And after that he sees Jon at the Wall, likely in the future. So what if the scene with Ned and Robert was rather when Ned tried unsuccessfully, at Darry's castle, to convince Robert to spare Lady's life, showing that Bran can also see the past ?

I think it is deliberately ambiguous. Sansa spent most of her time at King's Landing crying herself to sleep at night. Arya is still holding her secrets close and watching silently. Perhaps more so now with the FM than when she was on the way north with Yoren. She wasn't particularly keeping any secrets at the Trident in GOT. I don't read this as one vision, more a series of them.

Is this really mentioned in the book? I can't really remember. Since it's said multiple times that people travelling from KL>Dorne go through braavos first, it doesn't seem very likely to be that high north right ? Imo it's rather retarded to go miles up northeast just to go directly southwest afterwards in order to reach Dorne. Unless the ships travel near the coastline of Essos in order to avoid Stannis ( in Mircella's case) Which again makes no sense to me since they will go near Dragonstone anyway while leaving Blackwatter bay.

I'm not sure if it's mentioned in the book but the map that RumHam linked as well as the map in the WoIaF app shows that Braavos is the Northern-most of the free cities located across the Narrow Sea almost directly opposite The Fingers. I'm not sure why ships would travel to Braavos from KL and then to Dorne but it's certainly not to avoid Dragonstone. According to the map on the app, Dragonstone is located to the north-east of KL.

I don't have my books with me at the moment. Could you provide quotes where it says ships travelled to Braavos first. Context is important. Maybe those ships travelled to Braavos first for trade purposes.

I'm not sure if it's mentioned in the book but the map that RumHam linked as well as the map in the WoIaF app shows that Braavos is the Northern-most of the free cities located across the Narrow Sea almost directly opposite The Fingers. I'm not sure why ships would travel to Braavos from KL and then to Dorne but it's certainly not to avoid Dragonstone. According to the map on the app, Dragonstone is located to the north-east of KL.

I don't have my books with me at the moment. Could you provide quotes where it says ships travelled to Braavos first. Context is important. Maybe those ships travelled to Braavos first for trade purposes.

So the case where Myrcella is sent to Dorne is in aCoK in Tyrion's chapter somewhere around the middle of the book. Since my book is not in english i can't guarantee that my translation is accurate. So Tyrion speaks to the captain of the ship, to make sure he knows the orders and the captain says:

"We will sail near the coast, we will always keep the land in sight untill we reach cape Broken Claw. Fom there we will go through the Narrow Sea to Braavos. Under no circumstances should we enter Dragonstone's reach."

And i think there was another case about someone going to KL through Braavos and to Dorne, but i can't remember it.

So the case where Myrcella is sent to Dorne is in aCoK in Tyrion's chapter somewhere around the middle of the book. Since my book is not in english i can't guarantee that my translation is accurate. So Tyrion speaks to the captain of the ship, to make sure he knows the orders and the captain says:

"We will sail near the coast, we will always keep the land in sight untill we reach cape Broken Claw. Fom there we will go through the Narrow Sea to Braavos. Under no circumstances should we enter Dragonstone's reach."

And i think there was another case about someone going to KL through Braavos and to Dorne, but i can't remember it.

Please see RumHam's post.

So, in 233 Aegon V sent Bloodraven to the Wall, with Aemon tagging along. Bloodraven rose high and became LC, meaning he would have a lot communication with Aemon, right? Is there any reference to this in the books? If there is not, can you give me your best guess as to what their relationship was like? I hope we get to read some of it in TWOIAF.

This may be one of the things that we will not see until the latter D&E tales. Unless there is some dialogue between BR and Jon for some reason. But as for now there is no mention of it in the text.

The whole mycrella to braavos then dorne thing really is pretty confusing. As others have said, it was to keep myrcella safe, though perhaps i can give further reasoning why this detor kept her safe. You mentioned that she based near dragonstone to get to braavos, which is true, but its important to remember that at the time of Myrcellas departure, Stannis was at storms end with his fleet. so dragonstone didnt really have a fleet at the time, and more importantly, it would have been impossible to travel safely down the eastern coast of Westeros, because Mycerlla would probably run across Stannis' fleet. so the reasoning behind going to Braavos was twofold. Firstly, tryion hired bravvosi ships to keep her safe, with is helpful because Stannis would not expect Myrcella to be gaurded by ships from braavos, and also because it would be very unwise to attack bravos' fleet directly, as they are repeatedly reffered to as the most powerful of the free cities, and its pretty clear they could hold a grudge. The second reason for going to braavos is that mycrella can not safley travel down the eastern cost of the seven kingdoms with Stannis at storms end. So instead, she goes north west to get away from stannis, meets up with the braavosi, and then (this is my understanding at least), goes down the west cost of Essos before turning west for Dorne closer to the broken arm. this path would completly avoid storm's end and Stannis' fleet.

So yeah, that's why she went to braavos before going to dorne. it is not mentioned multiple times that people go from KL to braavos and then to dorne. this is the only time it happened if i remember correctly. Samwell also goes to braavos before going to Oldtown, but this path makes more sense since he's coming from the north anyway. although that detor always made less sense to me than the mycerlla thing. He couldve just taken a night watch ship all the way, but I suppose jon just didnt want to loose one of his ships so he just wanted sam to buy his own passage on a ship, and braavos was the most reasonable place to do that.

I think it is deliberately ambiguous. Sansa spent most of her time at King's Landing crying herself to sleep at night. Arya is still holding her secrets close and watching silently. Perhaps more so now with the FM than when she was on the way north with Yoren. She wasn't particularly keeping any secrets at the Trident in GOT. I don't read this as one vision, more a series of them.

I could agree with you if the Trident was not mentioned. All the other visions are at the right place : Luwin, Robb and Hodor in Winterfell, Catelyn east in the galley on the Bite, Jon north at the Wall, why should Ned and the girls not be at the Trident ? And I wonder if Arya's secret could not be the first reference of her kill list, with only the Hound on it at the moment for killing Mycah.

Its just showing the situation about lady and mycha. ned is pleading for ladys life. sansa is crying of lady. Aryas secrets are i gusse that she sent nymeria away? and that she feels resonsible for mychas death i gusse.

The guy was confused cuz he was reading the wiki. The wiki's interpretations of this dream are pretty poor all around.

Its just showing the situation about lady and mycha. ned is pleading for ladys life. sansa is crying of lady. Aryas secrets are i gusse that she sent lady Nymeria away? and that she feels resonsible for mychas death i gusse.

The guy was confused cuz he was reading the wiki. The wiki's interpretations of this dream are pretty poor all around.

This is not something that belongs in Small Questions thread.

But to answer your question, this is something the fandom came up with.

Where do whores go? Through the Ho-dor. :leaving:

Nah dude. They go down! (Ruby, Ruby where you been so long...)

Actually, the Happy Port in Braavos. It is known.

Was Winterfell Conquered by the Andals? The Starks are said to have the blood of the first men and THe King who Knelt was so called because it was thought unusual for him to have done so.

If not, was the North the only one of the 7 kingdoms that was left under 1M rule.

I know that the Rhoynar came to Dorne but I had the impression that this was by mutual agreement

Was Winterfell Conquered by the Andals? The Starks are said to have the blood of the first men and THe King who Knelt was so called because it was thought unusual for him to have done so.

If not, was the North the only one of the 7 kingdoms that was left under 1M rule.

I know that the Rhoynar came to Dorne but I had the impression that this was by mutual agreement

The Andals were unable to conquer the North. AGoT, Bran VII:

“The Andals were the first, a race of tall, fair-haired warriors who came with steel and fire and the seven-pointed star of the new gods painted on their chests. The wars lasted hundreds of years, but in the end the six southron kingdoms all fell before them. Only here, where the King in the North threw back every army that tried to cross the Neck, did the rule of the First Men endure. The Andals burnt out the weirwood groves, hacked down the faces, slaughtered the children where they found them, and everywhere proclaimed the triumph of the Seven over the old gods. So the children fled north-”

Archived