Small Questions v 10016

Stubby

Stannis leaves Mel with 12 men, including three cripples,three gelded rapists, two drunks and a craven. Queen Selyse later arrives with about fifty "knights, sworn swords, and men-at-arms." They estimate a thousand wildlings came across the wall in the first group, and then later Jon lets in four thousand more. I can't stress enough how rough those numbers are. I'm sure at some point it's mentioned about how many black brothers remain at Castle Black, but it's hard to find in a search.

Stannis leaves Mel with 12 men, including three cripples,three gelded rapists, two drunks and a craven. Queen Selyse later arrives with about fifty "knights, sworn swords, and men-at-arms." They estimate a thousand wildlings came across the wall in the first group, and then later Jon lets in four thousand more. I can't stress enough how rough those numbers are. I'm sure at some point it's mentioned about how many black brothers remain at Castle Black, but it's hard to find in a search.

Didn't Jon tell Mance or the Magnar how many men were at CB and then tell us rhe real number? I would think the number would be about the same.

The Andals were unable to conquer the North. AGoT, Bran VII:

The North was the only kingdom not conquered by the Andals. The Iron Islands were conquered but for some reason the local religion based on the Drowned God remained intact.

Thanks. So were the Andals in charge of Dorne when the Rhoymar came?

I think the martells were andal kings and the nymeria came over and helped him conquer dorne. so yeah there were several kings fighting for control of dorne and presumably they were of andal descent, as the most first men houses seem to be father north. The andals orignally invaded by the broken arm i think right. or at least that's the myth i think, that they came over the arm and then afterwards the children of the forest sent the waves to break it. and then they tried to break off the north to stop the andals and they created the bite.

I think the martells were andal kings and the nymeria came over and helped him conquer dorne. so yeah there were several kings fighting for control of dorne and presumably they were of andal descent, as the most first men houses seem to be father north. The andals orignally invaded by the broken arm i think right. or at least that's the myth i think, that they came over the arm and then afterwards the children of the forest sent the waves to break it. and then they tried to break off the north to stop the andals and they created the bite.

That was the First Men, the Andals presumably came in ships.

“But some twelve thousand years ago, the First Men appeared from the east, crossing the Broken Arm of Dorne before it was broken. They came with bronze swords and great leathern shields, riding horses. No horse had ever been seen on this side of the narrow sea. No doubt the children were as frightened by the horses as the First Men were by the faces in the trees. As the First Men carved out holdfasts and farms, they cut down the faces and gave them to the fire. Horrorstruck, the children went to war. The old songs say that the greenseers used dark magics to make the seas rise and sweep away the land, shattering the Arm, but it was too late to close the door.

That was the First Men, the Andals presumably came in ships.

Yes, the Andals crossed the Narrow Sea from Andalos and spread out from the Vale.

My bad. In any case, it seems that Dorne was entirely assimilated into Andal culture, as the dornish houses pretty much all seem to follow the seven, right? Presumably these houses were already influened by andal culture by the time nymeria came over. but that's just my intution, i don't really have any references I gusse

In ACoK's Prologue, where Patches starts singing: "The shadows come to dance, my lord, dance my lord..."

Is he referring to Mirri Maz Duur's ritual to "save" Drogo?

Not really a small question. You can find several threads discussin Patchface's remarks. But my guess is he's prophesying Mel's shadowbabies.

So who is Tommens regent after Kevan's death? Cersei? Mace?

I think Margaery will step up and try to assume the role as his queen as soon as she is cleared. Cersei is in no position to stop it and the Tyrells occupy so many positions of power in KL that she will have the support and protection she would need.

IIRC, there is something about the breakdown of the Salty, Sandy, and Stony Dornishmen that relates to the First Men, Andals, and Rhyonar. But I could be wrong.

yes pretty much. http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dornishmen

I think Margaery will step up and try to assume the role as his queen as soon as she is cleared. Cersei is in no position to stop it and the Tyrells occupy so many positions of power in KL that she will have the support and protection she would need.

It is impossible to know who/whom will be regent. The small council and/or the church will likely have a big say.

In ACoK's Prologue, where Patches starts singing: "The shadows come to dance, my lord, dance my lord..."

Is he referring to Mirri Maz Duur's ritual to "save" Drogo?

I always believed this to be referring to the Red Wedding. He sings "the shadows come to dance, my lord" and "the shadows come to stay, my lord". Dancing happened that wedding, though all the people died later on.

The "the shadows come to stay, my lord" part of this "prophecy" should not be forgotten. Dany did believe she saw MMD and the shadows dancing, but those shadows left. Mels shadow babies didn't even do any dancing.

I truly believe it refers to the Red Wedding. Robb and all danced there, and then died, thus becoming shadows.

IIRC, there is something about the breakdown of the Salty, Sandy, and Stony Dornishmen that relates to the First Men, Andals, and Rhyonar. But I could be wrong.

Salty Dornishmen live along the coasts, mainly along the Broken Arm region, where the Red Mountains stretch out into the Sea of Dorne. These Dornishmen are lithe and dark, with smooth olive skin and long black hair. They are fishermen and sailors, hard men who sail the ships of the Dornish fleet. The salty Dornishmen have the most Rhoynish blood.

Sandy Dornishmen live in the deserts and the long river valleys, faces burned brown by the hot Dornish sun, they are even darker than the salty Dornishmen

Stony Dornishmen live in the passes and heights of the Red Mountains. They have the most Andal and First Men blood and mostly resemble the other people of the Seven Kingdoms in look, customs and traditions. They are brown-haired or blond with faces that are freckled or burned by the sun. The stony Dornishmen have the least Rhoynish blood.

An additional, smaller group exists: the Greenblood orphans. The are pure Rhoynar who ply the Greenblood in poleboats.

In short, the Dornish culture has Andal origins, but Dorne is mostly influenced by the mass immigration of the Rhoynish people, who settled in Dorne during the Rhoynar Invasion. The further inland you go, the more Andal blood you see and the less Rhoynish blood. The Dornishmen with more Andal and First Men blood in them, are bigger than the Dornishmen with more Rhoynish blood in them. Also, the Dornishmen wirth more Andal and First Men blood usually have fairer hair.

For example: the Martells are classic salty Dornishmen in appearance, whilst House Dayne are stony Dornishmen.

In aGoT, Catelyn IV, when Catelyn arrives in King's Landing with Ser Rodrik, the inn she chooses to stay in, suggested by Moreo Tumitis, is said to be located on Eel Alley, halfway up Visenya's Hill.

But the map of King's Landing from "The Lands of Ice and Fire" places Eel Alley at the foot of Aegon's Hill, near the Red Keep. Since the book seems obviously more canon than the map, and that Catelyn didn't want to be recognized and should surely avoid a place too close to the Red Keep, is it safe to think the map is mistaken ? I searched for mentions of Eel Alley in the forums and found that Cersei and Jamie had sex in an inn there (the same inn?). It could be convenient for them to have the inn near the Red Keep, but maybe too unwise ? What do you think ?

I always believed this to be referring to the Red Wedding. He sings "the shadows come to dance, my lord" and "the shadows come to stay, my lord". Dancing happened that wedding, though all the people died later on.

The "the shadows come to stay, my lord" part of this "prophecy" should not be forgotten. Dany did believe she saw MMD and the shadows dancing, but those shadows left. Mels shadow babies didn't even do any dancing.

I truly believe it refers to the Red Wedding. Robb and all danced there, and then died, thus becoming shadows.

Could be the dragons too. See? Not a small question...

Archived