Why didn't Dany send agents to Westeros?

Estelindis

The issue I find with Dany at the moment is her lack of awareness over the current state of Westeros as well as any idea about how to go about with an invasion. Sure, she is about to get Tyrion for that but we know this fact whilst she remains unaware of this inbound boon (although the whole surrounded by a Khalasar would put a few dampers on your access to information). I think it is important to note a couple of things that her possible future advisor is unaware of .

1: Lysa Arryn is dead and sweetrobin is Littlefinger's.

2: Stannis is marching on Winterfell and the North may be rebelling.

3: Kevan Lannister is dead and Cersei will probably ruin the relationship in less than 5 seconds even if she survives.

4: The rise of the Faith Militant. (seriously, 1 guy on a boat who walks through the port of anything could hear something about this.)

Remember how much Davos learned from the people in White Harbor? I mean, it wasn't the entirety of Wyman's plans but he did learn a couple key facts about the situation. Obviously, Dany has no men like that in her service so there isn't much she can do but a couple Westerosi sailors who are given a large sum of money could provide a lot of useful intel.

The issue I find with Dany at the moment is her lack of awareness over the current state of Westeros as well as any idea about how to go about with an invasion. Sure, she is about to get Tyrion for that but we know this fact whilst she remains unaware of this inbound boon (although the whole surrounded by a Khalasar would put a few dampers on your access to information). I think it is important to note a couple of things that her possible future advisor is unaware of .

1: Lysa Arryn is dead and sweetrobin is Littlefinger's.

2: Stannis is marching on Winterfell and the North may be rebelling.

3: Kevan Lannister is dead and Cersei will probably ruin the relationship in less than 5 seconds even if she survives.

4: The rise of the Faith Militant. (seriously, 1 guy on a boat who walks through the port of anything could hear something about this.)

Remember how much Davos learned from the people in White Harbor? I mean, it wasn't the entirety of Wyman's plans but he did learn a couple key facts about the situation. Obviously, Dany has no men like that in her service so there isn't much she can do but a couple Westerosi sailors who are given a large sum of money could provide a lot of useful intel.

All very good points, that I think Tyrion will make to her. :) If she doesn't have informants now... she will after she's finished talking to him. If she puts him in charge of it, so much the better.

Although she probably won't, come to think of it. Quaithe did warn her: "Kraken [ironmen] and dark flame [Moqorro or Maester Marwyn], lion [Tyrion, most likely] and griffin [Griff], the sun's son [Quentyn] and the mummer's dragon [Aegon]. Trust none of them." (Question: why did Quaithe do that? For the most part, all of those are good people, or at the very least, they're people with decent intentions that she's much better off trusting, than not trusting.)

Also at what point in the story could she have? The Dothraki would not have sent anyone, and she could trust no one else.

Then she was starving in the Red Waste, and being led around through various treacheries in Qarth.

And then she hits Slavers Bay, and it takes up all of her time and resources just dealing with that.

I think the only opportunity she might have had would have been to send Jorah in disguise (just to send him away from her and avoid his affections). He is not exactly on Varys' level of cunning, but clearly reaslistic, world, and able to handle himself. Really he is the only one in her retinue she might have trusted, though that was only up to the point where she found out about his other spying.

Admitted, she isn't particularly a forward thinker, but she is instinctive. For better or worse, she has her hands full with the Slaver's Bay situation. Additionally, it's not feasible for her to send 'agents' at the present time. Finding the right people and the logistics of getting them there is too complicated. If it were practical, probably Jorah or Barristan would have suggested it. Also, she's concerned with the prophecies, the betrayers, etc. She needs to get a lot of things settled before she starts her Westeros campaign. And as some posters said, her dragons are not ready.

Luckily, her knowledge of Westeros and the recent status of the Game is about to come in the form of Tyrion and Marwyn (and Victarion?). Tyrion especially will be a fount of wisdom, facts, strategy, and especially the Game, which he has witnessed and even played to some extent. However, he's the lion and Quaithe said not to trust him or the others, so Dany has to be wary.

Sorry if I've missed or forgotten something, but while we all know the situation in Westeros it seems like Dany only gets sporadic news. She has an ally in Illyrio, who clearly has agents there, but it doesn't seem like she feels she can trust him 100%. Why didn't Dany send her own agents to Westeros?

Is that what Illyrio is, an ally? If he is her ally then she already has an agent there and they are not sharing the info with her. Varys.

Could not of sent Mormont, can't send the Dothraki, can't send Slemy. I know she could send Missy, Missy Golden eyes, dragon agent.

Is that what Illyrio is, an ally? If he is her ally then she already has an agent there and they are not sharing the info with her. Varys.

Could not of sent Mormont, can't send the Dothraki, can't send Slemy. I know she could send Missy, Missy Golden eyes, dragon agent.

Illyrio wants his son Aegon of House Blackfyre on the Iron Throne. If Dany's cool with being Aegon's queen, Illyrio is an ally. If not, we will have Dance 2.0 as soon as (or if) Dany figures out Illyrio's true motive.

In fairness, who could she send? Jorah she either needs by her side or doesn't trust anymore. Barristan is not exactly an expert at information gathering. And the rest of her company are Essosi who couldn't really do anything helpful, if they even know the Common Tongue.

I mean, Ai gree that she's too short-sighted to do it in any case, but it's not like she has a roomfull of potential candidates either.

It doesn't really have to be some master at information gathering right now, she just needs someoneS who can listen.

I think someone already mentioned having someone in taverns gathering information. That would be huge for Dany right now. Peoples in taverns/inns/brothels in port towns and cities. That's how news traveled between the common folk and working class back then, and in a lot of ways today even.

I guarantee you in three weeks she'd have a helluva lot more useful information about what's going on in Westeros than she does now. It wouldn't require a 007.

• 5 months later...

In fairness, who could she send? Jorah she either needs by her side or doesn't trust anymore. Barristan is not exactly an expert at information gathering. And the rest of her company are Essosi who couldn't really do anything helpful, if they even know the Common Tongue.

I mean, Ai gree that she's too short-sighted to do it in any case, but it's not like she has a roomfull of potential candidates either.

She has legions of cult followers, the idea of sending on of them to the FCs to get information, is far form impossible.

Sorry if I've missed or forgotten something, but while we all know the situation in Westeros it seems like Dany only gets sporadic news. She has an ally in Illyrio, who clearly has agents there, but it doesn't seem like she feels she can trust him 100%. Why didn't Dany send her own agents to Westeros?

A good point

Another really big mistake for Dany. She should have been working hard at getting info and establishing some kind of base in Westeros instead of just sitting around thinking about Daario.

If she wants to rule, she needs to get real about it and learn the Game of Thrones.

She could have sent Groleo, he seemed like a traveled enough person, and captains and traders from the east are not so uncommon in Westeros, especially at KL, where she shoul be focusing her attention. She could also ask Ilyrio for some "help", and have him send one of his men to give her information, and then double check with her own informants to make sure Ilyrio is not lying.

Ser Jorah must know people, or at least has to have the know-how of the job, since he's been doing it for years. After all, he was Ilyrio's man at first.

Archived