Who is the most intelligent teenager in the series?

Arya has her share of especially stupid moments though.

The one with Fat Tom being especially jarring.

Arya is resourceful and sharp. But a lot of subtlety is lost on her. She isnt a subtle person so political maneuvering, and reading people sometimes flies completely over her head. She is now learning how to read people, but politics is not a part of the FM syllabus. So she remains rather street-wise and savvy on her feet. She pales in comparison to Jon or Sam though. Sam isnt very street-wise but he makes up for it by knowing who to be nice to.

On the otherhand, he failed to notice Jon had ordered the baby swap until Maestar Aemon spelled it out for him.

That actually required quite a bit of observation of Gilly and the babe to figure out on his own. Plus that piece of information wasnt given to him. Sam is observant but on deeper levels of emotion, hes sorta lost.

I agree that Missandei deserves a mention

We really do not know enough about Margaery to know, but she may well be another Oleanna. Sarella shows promise but we really do not know enough

Arya is still a child - not a teenager so she does not count, ditto Podrick who shows great promise. Bran may well be the smartest of the lot but he is still just 9/10

Both Jon and Robb have demonstrated great skill and intelligence as battle commanders, so they are no slouches. Jon seems a better judge of character but we see so little of Robb it is hard to judge.

Dany is strong but seems governed more by intuition and emotion at this stage.

Aegon is just a beginner. I think if Tyrion had tried the same trick on Jon he would not have been able to manipulate him so easily

Dany is more charismatic than anything. She wins allies with energy and image. While she isnt a complete idiot (most of the time), she is sorely lacking in actual judge of character and politicking. She was able to get one up on Kraznys but he didnt seem too sharp. Up against formidable adversaries like the Harpy/Green Grace, Dany flounders. It'll be interesting to see how she handles Jhaqo and her situation in the Dothraki Sea.

Ehh. Sansa is on her way, but shes got some ways to go before she gets there, brah. She doesnt have her blackbelt in Politeness Judo yet.

As it stands now, Jon and Sam are God Tier. Those two are pretty sharp and Sam in particular is very learned. He read it in a book, his mind is a sponge. Jon has a pretty broad thought process that puts him above a lot of full grown men.

I am a simple loyal man... And she is smart, no one can deny that... But OP's decision not to include her on the list of the most intelligent teenagers pushed my button... :)

And I agree about Jon...

Unless you are talking about actual lemon-flavored baked goods, I own the patent on that term as it refers to a certain butterball. And i agree mladen, too much lemoncake is bad for you

They are rich of vitamin C, and therefore I wouldn't get gout anytime soon...

I agree that Missandei deserves a mention

We really do not know enough about Margaery to know, but she may well be another Oleanna. Sarella shows promise but we really do not know enough

Arya is still a child - not a teenager so she does not count, ditto Podrick who shows great promise. Bran may well be the smartest of the lot but he is still just 9/10

Both Jon and Robb have demonstrated great skill and intelligence as battle commanders, so they are no slouches. Jon seems a better judge of character but we see so little of Robb it is hard to judge.

Aegon is just a beginner. I think if Tyrion had tried the same trick on Jon he would not have been able to manipulate him so easily

Dany is more charismatic than anything. She wins allies with energy and image. While she isnt a complete idiot (most of the time), she is sorely lacking in actual judge of character and politicking. She was able to get one up on Kraznys but he didnt seem too sharp. Up against formidable adversaries like the Harpy/Green Grace, Dany flounders. It'll be interesting to see how she handles Jhaqo and her situation in the Dothraki Sea.

I partly agree with the above, especially for Dany.

For Margaery, I think she's not that clever, but she just plays her part in the Tyrell's scheming. She was was taught to act as she does and being ambitious. Credit to QoT.

Aegon, I wouldn't give him any credit since thus far he had others to lead him to a particular direction. He is just a valuable figure to some.

Sam, he is the most intelligent of all teenagers imo, not because he reads a lot, but because he is the most rational character when it comes to interpreting events and occurrences compared to others, even to Jon.

If using just the list and taking in account overall intelligence

Jon, total package currently. Learned from many different points of view so his education is more well rounded. Has learned to lead, negotiate, compromise etc.

Aegon, if what Varys said is true, that he ahs been raised and taught as he stated

Sam, book smart and common sense, just lacks confidence

Some of the others really aren't even in the same category.

Sansa, seriously? She has just a formal education, minimal people skills, she keeps falling for the same things over and over! Sansa in the last book is getting my respect though and by the end of the series could be a top candidate, she really seems to be opening her eyes now.

Dany, pretty close, but seems to have a limited view and education, isolated too much

Robb, wasn't smart enough to keep Theon by his side or to keep his word to the Freys. Definitely battle smart though

Archived