New trilogy featuring Fitz and the Fool by Robin Hobb

pat5150

New interview

Shawn Speakman: THE FOOLS ASSASSIN is the title of the first book in a new Fitz & Fool trilogy. What prompted you to return to their world?

Robin Hobb: Astute readers know that all the threads pointing toward there being more to come are there. There was always a final chapter to this tale, and I always wanted to write it. I was not always sure that I should write it, or that readers would welcome that final chapter as I envisioned it. But it just seemed that now was the time. Bits of this have been rattling around in the form of notes and ideas for twenty years.

This is so amazing news !

I've almost finished the Rain Wild Chronicles (started Robin Hobb late), and damn, I so love her writing, her characters, her world, how she develops it !

Maybe visiting the Fool's Country behind the seas ! I would love that !

We know the Six Duchies, the Mountains, the Outisland, the Rainwild, Bingtown, Jamailia and the Pirate Islands very well now ! Time for a new place in the world !

Uh, Adults? I don't get the question.

Not sure how else I could have phrased my question to make it more understandable.

Thanks, Frank and Aidan. Reading the thread, it's quite obvious that this is a series with many fans, and although my own tastes in fantasy lean towards the more adult side of the market, I may well give this a go.

Not sure how else I could have phrased my question to make it more understandable.

Thanks, Frank and Aidan. Reading the thread, it's quite obvious that this is a series with many fans, and although my own tastes in fantasy lean towards the more adult side of the market, I may well give this a go.

Think of it more like an Adult Fantasy book that can be read by Young Adults.

I'm going to have to reread Tawny Man sometime. All you guys are describing it as a sugary-sweet ending, but I remember finding it crushing.

I didn't read it as massively sugary, but I can see how the argument can be made. But I certainly didn't find it 'crushing.'

I don't think of it as a YA series, if that helps.

I'm going to have to reread Tawny Man sometime. All you guys are describing it as a sugary-sweet ending, but I remember finding it crushing.

It's not he ending, it's the whole series. Or most of it.

I'm currently a third of the way through The Assassin's Apprentice. Impressive stuff. Fitz makes for a very engaging narrator, and I find myself rooting for him like no other character I've read about for a long time.

I shall be staying clear of this thread now, at least until I've finished what's been written so far.

Thanks, Board, for yet another excellent recommendation!

Uh, its not marketd at or targeted at the YA market. Are you asking if its filled with decapitation and rapes?

Hugely excited for this to come out. It's the one thing I was hoping for years she'd return to. This is at the top of my waiting list along with Unholy Consult and Winds of Winter.

This should be awesome if it's on the level of both Farseer and Tawny Man, both of which were top level Fantasy books.

Can you imagine Farseer written by J Abercrombie? Fitz wouldn't live through the first chapter, and if by some miracle he did, he'd be grotesquely scarred.

No, he wouldn't. It would be an amazing and magical riveting adventure in which Fitz does some amazing things and everything goes well and there's a happy ending, and then in an epilogue we'd discover that Fitz is actually in a magically induced and carefully controlled coma to keep him alive after the events of the previous books, and he's living in a false dreamworld. As his adventures draw to a close, in the real world they're just about to pull magical life support because everything has gone to such shit that they can no longer afford to feed him. Also, in the real world, we discover that the Fool died of lung cancer fifteen years ago.

Archived