New trilogy featuring Fitz and the Fool by Robin Hobb

pat5150

But now I am home, and there is a yard to tidy, laundry to do, and a book to write. I’m on what I hope is the final round of edits for The Fool’s Assassin. I know, of course, that there will be copy edits and final readings of galleys, but I hope this is the one where I actually get the words on the page right, excluding typos and those sorts of errors. So wish me luck on that, and then I’ll be plunging back into the first draft of Book Two, as yet untitled.

So if you don’t see any new posts here for a bit, you’ll know I have good reason!

http://robinhobb.com/2013/11/airplane-reads/

Oooh, seems like a re-read is in order. It's been a while. Robin Hobb is one of those authors who helped me transition from a phase where I was firmly rooted in Pern, and didn't think I'd be able to get into any other fantasy. Now my Pern days are long... long... behind.

For some reason I can remember the Liveship trilogy much better than Farseer, and I can barely remember Tawny Man at all. But, that just means that when I re-read it'll be like reading them from scratch again. Hurrah!

Oh, this is the series with all those characters with funny names like Prince Apathy, Princess Delirious, Queen Despair, and King Shrinkage. Don't get me wrong- they grew on me after a while and I remember liking Assassin's Apprentice. I remember less of Tawny Man but I do remember having a bit of dislike for the ending where most things seemed to have wrapped up too neatly.

Oh and the Fool giving Fritzie some lecture on how their relations aren't any less for not involving sex. You know, for someone called the Fool, he can be such a puritanical buzzkill. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Fool's Assassin will be published in the US by Del Rey. Somewhat surprising, because Hobb's previous American publisher (since 2005) has been HarperVoyager. The release date is August 12th.

http://www.randomhouse.com/book/240295/fools-assassin-by-robin-hobb/book

Does this mean the harcovers will go back to "normal" size?

That to me suggests that, as I posted earlier, Fitz will die.

That wouldn't surprise me. I think these trilogies are the story of Fitz's life. We had his childhood/adolescence in Farseer, his middle age in Tawny Man, and now we'll see the third act of his life.

My thought is that, being a Skill user, Fitz will have a longer life than average (ie Kettle). So eventually Molly will pass, his children will disperse, and he'll feel that pull towards south and the Fool...

Yes, this will probably be the end of his life. Question is if we will see him die at the end, could be extremely poignant.

I am positively surprised by the page listing for the Del Rey hardcover, 592 pages is very big indeed for a starting volume.

Damn, now a new series involving Fitz and the world of Farseer. I only just bought the Farseer trilogy as it is, and haven't even opened them yet :blushing: I better finish reading what I have planned for the Holidays and get onto the Farseer trilogy.

I have only heard good things about the trilogy, and have pieced it together through Amazon and charity shops so I have a full set of the three original books. They are of all different covers, two of the original prints of the books and the final book in a very nice, glossy artwork and cover from Amazon.

I am looking forward to finishing it, and moving onto the other trilogies of the world she has written, particularly the Liveship Trilogy.

Damn, now a new series involving Fitz and the world of Farseer. I only just bought the Farseer trilogy as it is, and haven't even opened them yet :blushing: I better finish reading what I have planned for the Holidays and get onto the Farseer trilogy.

I have only heard good things about the trilogy, and have pieced it together through Amazon and charity shops so I have a full set of the three original books. They are of all different covers, two of the original prints of the books and the final book in a very nice, glossy artwork and cover from Amazon.

I am looking forward to finishing it, and moving onto the other trilogies of the world she has written, particularly the Liveship Trilogy.

In order of goodness:

Liveships > Farseer > Tawny > Dragons

The unfortunate thing is that the last two series are her last two series (in world.) Hopefully F&F can improve the standards. Dragons (Or Rainwilds) completely failed to grab my attention. Liveships on the other hand is brilliant.

In order of goodness:

Liveships > Farseer > Tawny > Dragons

The unfortunate thing is that the last two series are her last two series (in world.) Hopefully F&F can improve the standards. Dragons (Or Rainwilds) completely failed to grab my attention. Liveships on the other hand is brilliant.

Ah I did hear the Liveships Trilogy is the best of her work, more of a nautical feel in terms of the ships being alive, and such. I will definitely go from Farseer trilogy to the Liveship trilogy, and see what it's like. Thanks Blackbear, this is a totally new world and series to me to get into, so I am wary of what to expect :)

For those who know the series, and trilogies, is Robin Hood's works dark or light/mild fantasy? I mean in terms of say Joe Abercrombie's, GRRM's, Glen Cook's is her works close in theme and content, or is it not as brutal, and dark? I'm looking to get a feel of the world, and be ready instead of expecting something that won't actually happen :)

For those who know the series, and trilogies, is Robin Hood's works dark or light/mild fantasy? I mean in terms of say Joe Abercrombie's, GRRM's, Glen Cook's is her works close in theme and content, or is it not as brutal, and dark? I'm looking to get a feel of the world, and be ready instead of expecting something that won't actually happen :)

It's brutal and dark but in a sort of different way than Martin, Abercrombie and Cook. I don't want to say a romantic way but that's the closest word I can think of right now. The world building is also fairly decent, though doesn't really become world building until the Liveship Trilogy.

It's a really good series but can be a little depressing and heavy at times.

Mild. There is magic, but it's fairly grounded stuff. It maybe jumps the shark a little in Tawny Man, but meh. If you mean the tone of things, it's fairly upswing, even when dealing with fairly dark topics (rape comes to mind, I had a bit of a problem with this particular dipolarity.) Never read Glenn Close.

Mild. There is magic, but it's fairly grounded stuff. It maybe jumps the shark a little in Tawny Man, but meh. If you mean the tone of things, it's fairly upswing, even when dealing with fairly dark topics (rape comes to mind, I had a bit of a problem with this particular dipolarity.) Never read Glenn Close.

It's brutal and dark but in a sort of different way than Martin, Abercrombie and Cook. I don't want to say a romantic way but that's the closest word I can think of right now. The world building is also fairly decent, though doesn't really become world building until the Liveship Trilogy.

It's a really good series but can be a little depressing and heavy at times.

So the books tackle dark topics and subjects, but it's written in a romantic style, and not oppressive as say the darker themed writers above? :bang:

Archived