Terms that are thrown a round

JonathanTheBold

You are asking for something hard for english speakers from different countries, and almost imposible for non native speakers.

Im thinking for example in my own language, the word I use for "take" or "grab" is used as "f...k" in america.

Then thats not good cause I would take that as offense if you said that to me.

This is seriously your concern? Being insulted and having the other person hide behind the defense of being a non-native speaker who didn't know? Is this even a thing? This kind of seems like an absurdly fabricated scenario. In the event it's not, I'm pretty sure it's against forum rules to be writing evaluative posts about each other, so I don't even know why this is an issue.

I'm a native English speaker and don't have every single definition of every single word I use memorized. I sure as shit do not expect the rest of the world to have all these memorized either.

I am not asking anyone to go on a word hunt.

I simply mean if you don't completely understand a word then don't use it, it as simple as that.

OP - words can have more than one meaning.

Atrocity is defined as:

1. Appalling or atrocious condition, quality, or behavior; monstrousness.

2. behaviour or an action that is wicked or ruthless

3. An appalling or atrocious act, situation, or object, especially an act of unusual or illegal cruelty inflicted by an armed force on civilians or prisoners.

Yes but people don't make clear the context their using the word in, and as I stated before I wouldn't consider Tryions actions atrocities in the broader context of the word. If you mean fr a specific definition of a word to be used you should make it plan in your use of it

I am not asking anyone to go on a word hunt.

I simply mean if you don't completely understand a word then don't use it, it as simple as that.

Yea, and sometimes people don't know that they don't know a word.

Look, people should be as precise, careful and articulate as they can be.

On the flip side, given how many forumers are non-native speakers, perhaps a bit more tolerance, patience, and being a bit slower to take offense at things is also in order. It doesn't hurt to ask for clarification.

Then thats not good cause I would take that as offense if you said that to me.

Thats your problem. I guess you ve to come here more open minded and tolerant, knowing this kind of mistakes might happen.

Im still using "Crazy" with Lysa, because I just dont know how to call "someone who takes wrong decisions based of wrong information and because of being misguided and with childhood problems". And of course, you wont expect me to know the slight diference between an "atrocite" and an "enormity". If I have to look up in the dictionary every single word I use, it is just not fun to post anymore.

Thats your problem. I guess you ve to come here more open minded and tolerant, knowing this kind of mistakes might happen.

Im still using "Crazy" with Lysa, because I just dont know how to call "someone who takes wrong decisions based of wrong information and because of being misguided and with childhood problems". And of course, you wont expect me to know the slight diference between an "atrocite" and an "enormity". If I have to look up in the dictionary every single word I use, it is just not fun to post anymore.

Why would u use a word you don't know the meaning of its going to make you look foolish

Yes but people don't make clear the context their using the word in, and as I stated before I wouldn't consider Tryions actions atrocities in the broader context of the word. If you mean fr a specific definition of a word to be used you should make it plan in your use of it

That is your opinion however many people, including myself, would describe Tyrion's actions as atrocities; as in wicked and ruthless.

If this helps:

Instead of "crazy" for Lysa, "deranged" might be more apropos. It means a "disordered mind." She also has an "obsessive" mind, so that could also work. Honestly, I've used "batshit" most frequently in reference to her, and feel pretty ok with that. ETA: it slipped my mind, but a simple "mentally imbalanced" would probably be the best broad term that covers everything.

I tend to use "atrocity" for the actions of Tywin, Gregor, Ramsay. I tend to use "enormity" for Jaime and Tyrion's actions, for example. I think certain things-- raping the slave, killing Shae, defenestrating Bran-- would be fairly described as "atrocities," but I tend to go with the less loaded term for those.

If this helps:

Instead of "crazy" for Lysa, "deranged" might be more apropos. It means a "disordered mind." She also has an "obsessive" mind, so that could also work. Honestly, I've used "batshit" most frequently in reference to her, and feel pretty ok with that.

I tend to use "atrocity" for the actions of Tywin, Gregor, Ramsay. I tend to use "enormity" for Jaime and Tyrion's actions, for example. I think certain things-- raping the slave, killing Shae, defenestrating Bran-- would be fairly described as "atrocities," but I tend to go with the less loaded term for those.

Of course it helps! one of the things I like about being here is that it helps improving my english.

If this helps:

Instead of "crazy" for Lysa, "deranged" might be more apropos. It means a "disordered mind." She also has an "obsessive" mind, so that could also work. Honestly, I've used "batshit" most frequently in reference to her, and feel pretty ok with that. ETA: it slipped my mind, but a simple "mentally imbalanced" would probably be the best broad term that covers everything.

This is honestly fascinating for me. Even words in English can take on an entirely different meaning depending on the region and dialect you speak. Where I'm from enormity is used to display a scale of an event in size comparison and is completely neutral, and not the textbook definition. I tend not to use it in my every day speech because it's far more trouble than it's worth on having to guess who will know the regional re-purposing of the word and who uses the original definition.

As an example: https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/enormity

I read enormity about Jamie and Tyrion, and my first instinct is still to think "What big thing did they do?"

Overuse of a word dilutes its impact. What happened at Saltpans, Gregor's reign of terror, 163 crucifixes along the road, rape of Tyrion's first wife could be interpreted has atrocities.

Tyrion's murder of Shae and Tywin probably would not have even been tried has first degree murder now. Those were crimes of passion. Don't see the atrocity there, but use it as you wish.

This is honestly fascinating for me. Even words in English can take on an entirely different meaning depending on the region and dialect you speak. Where I'm from enormity is used to display a scale of an event in size comparison and is completely neutral, and not the textbook definition. I tend not to use it in my every day speech because it's far more trouble than it's worth on having to guess who will know the regional re-purposing of the word and who uses the original definition.

I read enormity about Jamie and Tyrion, and my first instinct is still to think "What big thing did they do?"

I have the same thought! I've never heard of the word "enormity" meaning anything other than "something really big" until now. After all, we have the word "enormous" which is a way to describe something of great size.

I have the same thought! I've never heard of the word "enormity" meaning anything other than "something really big" until now. After all, we have the word "enormous" which is a way to describe something of great size.

Definitely. Enormity just doesn't register with me when I read it.

I don't necessarily use atrocity to describe Tyrion and Jaime, as I'm used to using that to defining larger scale events of terrible. The sacking of the Riverlands (though some of Jaime's actions in the Riverlands could fall into that category), the Red Wedding, etc. For Tyrion and Jaime's individual actions I tend to stick with vile.

Haha yes, that's the common meaning where I'm from too, but even in that link you provided, the definition of "wicked act" is included.

It's a bit "gentler" than "atrocity;" it basically means deviation from the norm, specifically, deviation from the norm of moral rectitude. I think it's probably the most precise way to describe (ironically) some of the lower scale horrors.

It's used in the books by that definition on occasion, like here:

“A siege is deadly dull. I wanted to see this stump of yours and hear whatever excuses you cared to offer up for your latest enormities. They were feebler than I’d hoped. You always disappoint, Kingslayer.”

Haha yes, that's the common meaning where I'm from too, but even in that link you provided, the definition of "wicked act" is included.

It's a bit "gentler" than "atrocity;" it basically means deviation from the norm, specifically, deviation from the norm of moral rectitude. I think it's probably the most precise way to describe (ironically) some of the lower scale horrors.

It's used in the books by that definition on occasion, like here:

“A siege is deadly dull. I wanted to see this stump of yours and hear whatever excuses you cared to offer up for your latest enormities. They were feebler than I’d hoped. You always disappoint, Kingslayer.”

Oh, I know. I was just using it as an example of there being a variation from the original definition. To be honest, this is the first time that passage is registering with me. Normally any time I see the word I default to the definition I mentioned and move on.

Let's see:

Multiple rapes

patricide

Murder

ya, I can't blame people for calling these atrocities. No, it's not on par with the Holocaust, but I personally find any sexual assault to be an atrocity.

Ps: I'm a native English speaker

pss: this board has many non native English speakers and English speakers from many regions (California, the south, England, east coast, ect) and all of these places have nuances. I think if you can't try to read between the lines to determine what they're trying to convey or ask them to clarify, then maybe you shouldn't be here. People should accept each other.

Archived