NYC BwB - New York Pizza Crawl - 10/26 Brooklyn and 11/2 Manhattan

naz

Great to have you along, draft.

On another note, there's been some talk of perhaps changing plans, due to heretofore lackluster interest (to some extent), and doing a mini pizza tour instead. Background: A friend of mine posted a link on FB of the top 101 pizzas in the country. Since a great many of them are in the NY metro area, I thought about spending my last few weeks in the country visiting as many of them as possible. Maybe instead of karaoke, we go pizza-hopping in the city instead?

Here's the link to the list.

What do you folks think? Pizza or karaoke?

Majority rules, I guess. Pizza tour it is. So what's the plan? We have a day to figure this out. Here are the potential options:

Connecticut:

1, Frank Pepe’s, New Haven, CT, White Clam Pie

7, Sally’s Apizza, New Haven, CT, Tomato Pie

11, Modern Apizza, New Haven, CT, Italian Bomb

68, Alforno, Old Saybrook, CT, Margherita

27, Colony Pizza, Stamford, CT, Sausage Pie

Brooklyn:

2, Di Fara, Brooklyn, NY, Di Fara Classic Pie

6, Roberta’s, Brooklyn, NY, Margherita

12, Totonno’s, Brooklyn, NY, Margherita

13, Paulie Gee’s, Brooklyn, NY, Regina

26, Grimaldi’s, Brooklyn, NY, Margherita

47, Franny’s, Brooklyn, NY, Clam Pizza

77, L&B Spumoni Gardens, Brooklyn, NY, Sicilian Slice

88, Best Pizza, Brooklyn, NY, White Pizza

95, Lucali, Brooklyn, NY, Pepperoni

Manhattan:

34, Patsy’s, East Harlem, NY, Cheese

17, Co., New York, NY, Popeye

44, Artichoke Basille, New York, NY, Artichoke Slice

9, Motorino, New York, NY, Brussels Sprouts

15, South Brooklyn Pizza, New York, NY, New York Style Pizza

16, Kesté, New York, NY, Kesté

25, John’s of Bleecker, New York, NY, Bruschetta

35, Joe’s, New York, NY, Cheese

43, Lombardi’s, New York, NY, Pepperoni

52, Don Antonio by Starita, New York, NY, Montanara Starita

73, Sullivan Street Bakery, New York, NY, Pizza Bianca

Bronx, Queens, Staten Island:

21, Zero Otto Nove, Bronx, NY, Margherita

58, Louie and Ernie's, Bronx, NY, Sausage Pie

63, Rizzo's Fine Pizza, Queens, NY, Pepperoni

28, DeNino's Pizzeria and Tavern, Staten Island, NY, Sausage

57, Joe & Pat's Pizzeria, Staten Island, NY, Vodka

69, Nunzio’s, Staten Island, NY, Polly O

I think we should either do Brooklyn or Manhattan on Saturday, and do the other maybe next weekend. We don't have to do each and every one of these, but we can start somewhere and then try to get as many as we can.

I'm definitely planning on going to the Connecticut ones this Sunday, so whoever wants to join me can do so.

I don't have strong feelings either way. Manhattan is accessible to anyone with a Metrocard, although the subway can be a PITA. The Brooklyn locations run the gamut from "must have a car" (L&B Spumoni Gardens) to "FFS, abandon the car" (Franny's), depending on the neighborhood.

All I will say is this: I've eaten at a number of the pizza places listed here. DiFara was the best. Like, I still dream about that goddamned pie, and I last ate one in 2007.

How about we do Brooklyn, since you know them best. Pick the ones that we can get to easily enough without a car. Pick a starting point and we meet there at, say, 5pm? I really want to eat at DiFara. I've heard only good things about that place.

I'd probably drive there, leave my car someplace and then train/walk it the rest of the way.

Hmmm. Mr. X will probably have strong opinions about this, but I'll toss this out there:

We can try to hit something like Totonno's, L&B Spumoni Garden, DiFara and possibly Grimaldi's and Lucali's in a car or cars. Roberta's, I shit you not, delivers to our house. It also usually has a 2+ hour wait for a table, so unless you want to go there at 4pm (always possible), delivery will be the only way we're gonna get a pie from them.

I think Franny's is probably OK to skip. It's good pizza, but it's not Roberta's or DiFara, and it doesn't have the fucked-up charm of L&B Spumoni Garden.

Sounds like a real plan is starting to emerge. I can drive and take 4 others with me. I'll PM Etulftune, PC, and draft0 to make sure they're aware of the change. I know E and PC don't have a car; don't know about draft. (I hope they're still willing to join in.)

PS: I'm going to be in Newark in the afternoon to visit an artist friend who has a show downtown. I planned on hitting the two Elizabeth spots and the Orange spot for lunch. More like brunch, actually, so that I don't get too full for dinner. (How the hell am I going to eat all this?)

eta: Should we just do DiFara first? Where do we all meet? I can pick up E and PC on my way in.

Archived