What about krakens?

Lady-Nymeria

I can't remember which book.

I can't remember the place.

I can't remember which characters.

But sometime, somewhere, someone is discussing that ships are being brought down by krakens, and then specifies that he/she is referring to the creatures, not the Ironmen. So I believe that they are infact real.

I'm thinking that maybe it was either ACOK or ASOS, and that the discussion included someone on the small council in King's Landing... hmmm....

I'm re-reading the series now, so I know that I'll stumble upon it again.

BTW, first post! FTW!!

But sometime, somewhere, someone is discussing that ships are being brought down by krakens, and then specifies that he/she is referring to the creatures, not the Ironmen. So I believe that they are infact real.

I'm thinking that maybe it was either ACOK or ASOS, and that the discussion included someone on the small council in King's Landing... hmmm....

BTW, first post! FTW!!

Varys mentioned a kraken in SoS, I think, but it was mentioned as a curiosity, and nobody lent it much credibility.

In the excerpt I mentioned (one of Arianne's chapters in TWoW), however, krakens are mentioned as a proven fact and apparently there have been many witness (krakens are coming up to the surface after big sea battles between Lys and Tyrosh and attacking the crews of damaged galleys).

You're thinking of Barristan's sample chapter in The Winds of Winter, when his knight-in-training, Tumco Lho, tells him the krakens on the Ironborn ship's sails look like the creatures lurking in the waters back home in the Basilisk Isles.

One thing thats been overlooked. The horn is said to summon krakens, not control them. If the Greyjoys blow said horn, they could be opening a whole new can of worms that could hurt them more than it helps.

That sounds like something stupid that a Greyjoy would do.

You're thinking of Barristan's sample chapter in The Winds of Winter, when his knight-in-training, Tumco Lho, tells him the krakens on the Ironborn ship's sails look like the creatures lurking in the waters back home in the Basilisk Isles.

Nope. I haven't read that one yet :P

I like to preserve.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a scene in my head that I hope plays out. Euron is limping with his fleet after being spanked by Aegon and the hightowers. Aeron, driven ever madder by the lack of 'true believers' amongst the IB, sails into the open ocean and summons a Kraken, a vengeful servent of the drowned god, which tears Eurons fleet to ribbons." No godless man may sit the Seastone Chair."

Giant squids exist in real life, and in Westeros would be called krakens.

As far as I'm aware, even the largest giant squids are not large enough to pull a large wooden ship, such as a whaler, under the water, with crew and whale products aboard. Also, I may be wrong here, but I was under the impression that giant squids basically never came to the surface?

To be fair, there probably are giant squids in Westeros, but there are also likely the actual krakens of Scandinavian legend in the waters as well.

As far as I'm aware, even the largest giant squids are not large enough to pull a large wooden ship, such as a whaler, under the water, with crew and whale products aboard. Also, I may be wrong here, but I was under the impression that giant squids basically never came to the surface?

To be fair, there probably are giant squids in Westeros, but there are also likely the actual krakens of Scandinavian legend in the waters as well.

I agree the kraken may resemble the giant squid in appearance, but would likely be much larger in size as well as have a different head shape and tolerances. It could be that krakens feed on whales, which tend to dwell near the surface.

Krakens have only been sighted off the east coast of Westeros, far from Aeron and the Iron Islands. The only Greyjoy whom we could reasonably expect to show up in the Narrow Sea would be Victarion bringing Dany to Westeros. Keep in mind that the kraken horn on Claw Isle is together with a Valyrian steel ax, and that axes are Victarion's weapon of choice.

Archived